Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:41 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Now this one is interesting. Owner has receipts showing LN Engineering/RMS/clutch done in 2015. Relatively low miles, interesting color. I am asking for more pics of the interior, but I believe that's leather. Receipts also for the suspension and exhaust upgrades.

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/6068825779.html
Looks like it might be 'supple' leather on the seats, but the dash and doors are not leather. A leather dash has stitching on the edge of the instrument binnacle.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:06 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now this one is interesting. Owner has receipts showing LN Engineering/RMS/clutch done in 2015. Relatively low miles, interesting color. I am asking for more pics of the interior, but I believe that's leather. Receipts also for the suspension and exhaust upgrades.

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/6068825779.html
Bilstein coilovers are not cheap. Not a bad price if it's as advertised.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:28 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
Bilstein coilovers are not cheap. Not a bad price if it's as advertised.
Yeah, receipts show a ton of money spent on it then he throws it on craigslist with four pics. He says multiple back surgeries are causing the sale.

Does anyone know of a good PPI place in San Luis Obispo? The only place coming up is SGS Independent Porsche, and a search on them brings up this kinda hilarious story: https://calcoastnews.com/2016/05/slo...harges-client/. Not sure I can trust them.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, receipts show a ton of money spent on it then he throws it on craigslist with four pics. He says multiple back surgeries are causing the sale.

Does anyone know of a good PPI place in San Luis Obispo? The only place coming up is SGS Independent Porsche, and a search on them brings up this kinda hilarious story: https://calcoastnews.com/2016/05/slo...harges-client/. Not sure I can trust them.
It also says there is a lien on the car. WARNING WARNING! I wouldn't buy it unless the title was in hand. The man uses all caps in his limited description. Lazy or shouting? Never know.

Also, he says "clean carfax" but doesn't list the VIN to check. Lazy again? I don't know. Too many red flags for me!

Don't pay in cash on this one!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b3freak
It also says there is a lien on the car. WARNING WARNING! I wouldn't buy it unless the title was in hand. The man uses all caps in his limited description. Lazy or shouting? Never know.

Also, he says "clean carfax" but doesn't list the VIN to check. Lazy again? I don't know. Too many red flags for me!

Don't pay in cash on this one!

oh, good call man. I didn't notice that. I will qualify the state of the title before I move forward. He has not answered my email asking him if an independent inspection would be ok, either.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

I used this place for a PPI: http://www.smithmotorgroup.com/
It's a fairly limited PPI, but FWIW I never did have any problems with the car.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Edited.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Nevermind, that car is for sale at Smith...
http://www.smithmotorgroup.com/detai...-16290556.html

Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Clean red one for sale that just popped up:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/6085697222.html
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

WTF is wrong people?

Mike, what exactly are you looking for in a 996?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 808Bill
WTF is wrong people?

Mike, what exactly are you looking for in a 996?
i am lookkng for an early car, in black or blue, non-cab manual with decent mileage at a decent price preferably far away. Lol, that sounds like a lot! Since I am looking for an early car I'd prefer to have the IMS left alone, so I can decide what to do with it. But, it's just a preference.

I don't think I'm being too picky but I am not in any hurry and reading this forum has helped me be discriminating. I was making plans to fly out and buy a car in Arizona, until the PPI came back with metal in the oil filter and a pending 1351 (I believe) code.

The blue one above sounds good, and I have asked for clarification on the lien. Please let me know if I'm being unrealistic.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
It also says there is a lien on the car. WARNING WARNING! I wouldn't buy it unless the title was in hand.
Good point, but different states handle title documents differently. It's been a long time since I lived in CA, but I seem to recall that the bank holds title on a vehicle that has a loan. Here in NY, the vehicle owner holds the title document and the title lists the lienholder. It's always necessary to know who owns the car, who gets paid, etc.

And for that matter, what type of lien -- I'd assume it's a bank loan, but you never know. Could be that stack of receipts includes an unpaid bill or two ;-)

Also a good point about the VIN; there are plenty of questions to be answered about this car. In fairness, I think a lot of people don't put much detail into Craigslist ads because they assume that all buyers are local and will just come to look at the car.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KoB
Good point, but different states handle title documents differently. It's been a long time since I lived in CA, but I seem to recall that the bank holds title on a vehicle that has a loan. Here in NY, the vehicle owner holds the title document and the title lists the lienholder. It's always necessary to know who owns the car, who gets paid, etc.

And for that matter, what type of lien -- I'd assume it's a bank loan, but you never know. Could be that stack of receipts includes an unpaid bill or two ;-)

Also a good point about the VIN; there are plenty of questions to be answered about this car. In fairness, I think a lot of people don't put much detail into Craigslist ads because they assume that all buyers are local and will just come to look at the car.
i asked him about the lien and he sent me a message that just said "I will pay it off". I think what that means is that I pay him, he pays the bank, I get the title? Ugh, buying a car cross country with a clear title is hard enough
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Batteaux
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my 2001 C2 listed on the PCA website.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/320382
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

i am lookkng for an early car, in black or blue, non-cab manual with decent mileage at a decent price preferably far away. Lol, that sounds like a lot! Since I am looking for an early car I'd prefer to have the IMS left alone, so I can decide what to do with it. But, it's just a preference.

I don't think I'm being too picky but I am not in any hurry and reading this forum has helped me be discriminating. I was making plans to fly out and buy a car in Arizona, until the PPI came back with metal in the oil filter and a pending 1351 (I believe) code.

The blue one above sounds good, and I have asked for clarification on the lien. Please let me know if I'm being unrealistic.
Not at all.
I would start a new thread requesting those details and I'll bet you find your car sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...