Driving across the country in my 996C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:28 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking Driving across the country in my 996C4

from Vancouver, WA to Cleveland, OH (2500 miles)...anybody who has done such a trek in their 996 wanna share some advice?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Auto Club Trip Tic & associated maps are great for road trips
I-5 to I-90 will get you there in a jiffy
and I-80, I-84 for a more southern return
how many miles a day do you plan on?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:14 AM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4's have a tiny inflatable spare

make sure youre pump and jack work, and you've got everything dialed in case of a flat tire or otherwise...

My 2000 C4 had the tiniest (crappiest)spare in the boot, which luckily I never needed.

Top off all your vital fluids, and PACK carefully...there isnt alot of storage space left in a modern day 911.996...especially a c4
Old 08-16-2003, 01:29 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJ makes a good point about maps and routes. Only other suggestion I would offer is to take a copy of Pano with you that lists all of the PCA regions, names, etc. I also went on www.pca.org and got the names of a few Porsche dealers in cities along my route. I went from Phila to Seattle back in 1997 with a 1977 911S. I made sure I had all necessary tools, air pump, extra belts, oil, and antifreeze in your case, plenty of w.washer stuff, bug remover, rags for all the bugs you're going to hit. I also left each day about 4AM to get a few hours under my belt before it got too hot! (I'm really not paranoid...I just play one on this Forum. I've made the round trip 4 times..only once in the Porsche, though) You'll want to be sure you go through the WA, ID border during the daytime 'cause the scenery at that point is probably the best. you'll see on the trip.

Have a great trip!
Old 08-16-2003, 03:33 AM
aktundramonkey
Advanced

I'd take the northern route. Montana doesn't have a speed limit.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:47 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Two large cans of flat tire fix may save you from having to deal with the "spare tire", an extra quart of oil since what you want may not be available at the local truck stop, and a cigarette light charger for your cell phone. I wouldn't want to cross Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio without a Valentine 1. I80/94 are heavily patrolled on the week-ends. Have fun. AS
Old 08-16-2003, 11:00 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Pick a nice route and that will be a great trip.

My only worries would be the C4's Spare tire .... if you actually need it. I dont have any experience with the fixa flat cans but that sounds like a great idea.

Safe travels!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Dirk Tanner
Instructor

1. Buy a bra. Speed Lingerie makes color-matched ones (I just bought a speed yellow bra for my California road trip). Don't forget mirror covers.

2. Bring a quart or two of correct Mobil 1. It can be hard to find when you need it.

3. Buy a cover. You never know where you'll wind up parking.

4. Relax! It's your car, it's made for this!

Happy Trails,
-DT
Old 08-16-2003, 12:14 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by MJones
...how many miles a day do you plan on?
My wife and I plan on about 600miles per day.

Originally posted by DonW-Cape Cod
MJ makes a good point about maps and routes. Only other suggestion I would offer is to take a copy of Pano with you that lists all of the PCA regions, names, etc. I also went on www.pca.org and got the names of a few Porsche dealers in cities along my route.
Woooo, GREAT IDEA!

Originally posted by Alexander Stemer
I wouldn't want to cross Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio without a Valentine 1. I80/94 are heavily patrolled on the week-ends. Have fun. AS
This is great advice too! Thanks!
Old 08-16-2003, 02:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely buy a bra. I remember when I bought my c43 in houston texas and drove it all the way back to la, ca. Everything was fine but there are mass big rigs out there and I got this huge rock chip from one. I was soooo pissed! also for me with my supple leather seats my *** would hurt after a few hours of driving but then again I would sit rather forward and erect. I would recline the seat a bit. You might consider buying an ipaq or something and getting the gps software for the trip always fun. I had one for a while and it made long drives easy. One more thing you will need more than 1 cd cartridge and a buch of cd's! make sure you have them in the car so you can pop out the old ones and get it ready for the pit!

Quick Reply: Driving across the country in my 996C4