996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New generation of Porsche snobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 AM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A green porsche? No wonder they ignore you. I would laugh at the sight of a green porsche.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:36 AM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Just because it's a porsche, you expect a wave from another porsche driver? LOL
You're the snob
Old 10-03-2014, 08:10 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY997
I own a 997.2 and I wave all the friggin time and get nothing back regardless of the model...I know there are PCAR enthusiast here in Tampa FL but I have not seen any on the road yet???
You know the more I read this thread it has made me remember that I have had one very cool encounter and it was with a 996 Turbo. I was driving home on the interstate and I saw a 911 two cars behind. I had a chance to move over and wait to see what it was and it was this sweeeeeeeeeeet 996 Turbo. As he slowed down to pass by we nodded politely at each other and then he hit the gas a little (car in front of him) for me to hear it...but then my lane opened up and as I went back by I gave him a ...he then jumped in behind me (slower car in front of him) and I got back in the left lane. He could have accelerated around but just tucked in behind me as we escalated our speed to a more comfortabe 911 speed than posted...LOL Soon I had to move over to get off the interstate and he slowed down so we could give each other another and then he sped away...very cool encounter!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

1) Crotch rocket days we all waved at each other and I still see them do it today.
2) Subaru STI , we all waved to each other and still see others do it.
3) Porsche....eh most of the time they don't even turn to look at you, specially the older crowd (no offense to the older guys on this forum) and I always think to my self that if I was that old fart and got my dream car at the age of 60 and some 30 some year old pulled next to me in the same car I would probably be pissed too LOL.....
4) Every driver of a Vet always waves even going opposite sides on the freeway.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

On bikes, I used to get "the wave" about 80% of the time. I'd say it's about 30% now. On the freeway, whenever I see a bike approaching, I move over to give them space. I'd say about 50% or more give a wave of acknowledgment.

I gave the "wave" to a Carrera GT awhile back, and he smiled and returned the wave. Today I passed two 911 Carreras, a Boxster, and a Cayenne. None even gave me a glance. Maybe it's because I have a 996 though.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:23 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my area of Portland the Boxter drivers seem oblivious to a friendly light flash or wave. Seems 911 owners are always aware of other Pcars. Maybe it is due to the low cost of Boxters nowadays where anyone with a job can buy one if so inclined.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I give a nod to any high performance car I pass--vettes, STi's, S2k's.

On the NW and North side of Indy, we have a thriving light-flashing culture. Even had a 991 surprise me last week by flashing. I only had time for a quick wave since I was taken so aback.

As I posted a few weeks ago, I had a spirited dash on the interstate with an SC, parting with a mutual thumbs up. There is also a maroon Boxster who I've run with on the interstate a couple times.

I DO NOT wave at Panameras or Cayannes...except the Panamera S that I occasionally see Tony Kanaan in...

TC
Old 10-04-2014, 02:37 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

vu.q.le

Bite me
Old 10-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
waving at people who purchases the same transportational device as you is one of the lamest things ever.

Maybe when porsche made 10k cars per year and maybe 3,000 of them made it to america, it was like a cult thing. For the past 20 years, thats not been the case.

Do you wave at people who have the same pair of shoes as you? Same cell phone?

really, who freaking cares.

Since you are always so positive, I'd be sure to give you the finger.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:22 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vu.q.le
Just because it's a porsche, you expect a wave from another porsche driver? LOL
You're the snob
STFU you ignorant n00b. No one is interested in your juvenile drivel. When you can do better than a 7th hand 100K+ mile beater boxter then you may be given permission to speak with your betters. There, how's that for snobbery you Komifonia douchebag?
Old 10-04-2014, 12:08 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^this^^^

I have owned Porsches since 12/85.

All 3 are 951's.

Back in the 80's and pretty much the 90's and into the 2000's, almost every other Porsche owner would acknowledge me.

Now it is more of the exception than the rule.

I gave up on the Cayenne's and Boxters a few years ago and never started with the Pano's.

I miss the sense of community on the road but love the community I have discovered on Rennlist!

You guys are Awesome!!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,296 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
vu.q.le

Bite me
Haha! I would love a green 911! I haven't had a green car since my old Alfa!

I've noticed the lack of response around the denver area Tim. Up in Evergreen it's not bad. There was actually just a thread about this on the 997 turbo forum too.

Tim you should come out to more of the Cars and Coffee events or the Porsche Breakfast Club events. Everyone is enthusiastic there and nobody cares what kind of Porsche you drive!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a Jeep and a mustang GT owners certainly did the wave thing.
I agree that a big portion of Porsche owners are snob and buy the car only for the prestige.
Like I said earlier in Miami Porsche's and the douche bags that drive them are a dime a dozen but every once in a while I do run into another enthusiast.
In the meantime I will keep waving at 911's, screw the other Porsche models
Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

No signs of life here in Northern New Jersey either, but certainly some in the Garden State have an opinion on this subject.

I think this goes farther than people in P-cars. I can't remember the last time I saw someone slow down at a yellow light to allow someone on the other side of the intersection to turn before the light turned red. Or a day when most people used their turn signals. People do what they want to do, but it seems to be at the expense of others. Acknowledging another P-car driver? It just doesn't compute for people in this neck of the woods.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 AM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Originally Posted by drh
STFU you ignorant n00b. No one is interested in your juvenile drivel. When you can do better than a 7th hand 100K+ mile beater boxter then you may be given permission to speak with your betters. There, how's that for snobbery you Komifonia douchebag?
I have no idea what you just said.

Quick Reply: New generation of Porsche snobs