Sponsored by:

2002 C4S Rear bixenon sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 AM
twills99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 C4S Rear bixenon sensor

Good afternoon all - new to this excellent forum, having recently entered the world of Porsche. It has been my lifelong dream to own a 911 and finally I did it - a Dec 2002 C4S (RHD).

I noticed the xenons were not levelling - stuck at lowest setting, so I removed both l/h wheels to check the sensors (grace to the excellent info on this forum). I have discovered behind the rear wheel that the bottom of the plastic sensor rod has become detached, and it looks like the mounting is missing. Where is it supposed to attach to please? It seems very close to the handbrake cable. I looked at the exploded parts diagrams but its not clear to me (a novice) where it attaches on the C4S (same suspension as the turbo?)

Any advice very much appreciated .

Regards, and Hi to all!

Tim
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM
twills99
Intermediate

Any advice appreciated...part arrives next week, and no idea where it fits :-)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

As best I can tell from a small line drawing from my Turbo's references what you are looking for should be retaining bracket located above the brake line.

Not sure if this will be of any help, but here are the instructions for installing a new angle sensor.

Installing rear angle sensor for headlight beam adjustment

Note

• Once the angle sensor has been installed, the control module must be recalibrated with the Porsche System Tester 2!

• After this, the main headlights must be readjusted with a commercially available 5 mm ball−head screwdriver (free blade length 150 mm)!

1. Fasten angle sensor on the retaining bracket and install.

2. Engage electrical plug connection and pull rubber cover carefully over the plug
connection (protects against water leaking in).

3. Secure the linkage to the rotary lever.
Tightening torque: 7 Nm (5 ftlb.)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Headlight leveling in 996 is very simple. The ball on the end of the leveling motor goes in the plastic "cup" extending from the headlight pivoting assembly. Ball can easily get dislodged from the assembly "cup". Picture of the leveling motor for reference is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-head...82b87b&vxp=mtr
Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My motors work as tested by the durametric, where you can actuate them to go up and down. I don't think they actually auto-level anymore though. I'm pretty sure both of my angle sensors are not attached, and additionally I have 4 faults in the xenon module, as read by the durametric.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Knfeparty, two angle/leveling sensors are attached to the suspension control arms on the driver's side I believe; one at the front, one at the rear. You can easily check if your are connected by crawling under the car.

Motors in the headlights are completely independent of the leveling sensors from what I can tell. If there is a fault in the system, lights will point to their lowest position. You can try raising them manually, but be careful as it is possible to over-turn the adjustment screw and have the adjuster assembly get completely off-thread.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
twills99
Intermediate

Thanks for all the answers. My rear sensor works - if I push the arm up or down the h/lights move. The problem is that the ball joints in the arm seized, and the result is it has lost the connector to the wishbone (rear). I have ordered a new one but I am unsure how it attaches. If anyone has a photo of the rear sensor where it connects at the bottom of the rod I would be very grateful. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by twills99
Thanks for all the answers. My rear sensor works - if I push the arm up or down the h/lights move. The problem is that the ball joints in the arm seized, and the result is it has lost the connector to the wishbone (rear). I have ordered a new one but I am unsure how it attaches. If anyone has a photo of the rear sensor where it connects at the bottom of the rod I would be very grateful. Thanks again.
These pics may help? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...item20d540c079

and http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e-is/?p=219070
Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 AM
twills99
Intermediate

Thank you Ahsai -the ebay one shows me exactly what I wanted. Obliged.....

Quick Reply: 2002 C4S Rear bixenon sensor