Sponsored by:

2004 C2 Fuel Filler Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 AM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2004 C2 Fuel Filler Door

Just realized my fuel filler door is not locking. How do yo access the actuator? Thanks, Ralph
Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rporzio
Just realized my fuel filler door is not locking. How do yo access the actuator? Thanks, Ralph
The solenoid that operates the locking rod is located under the front fender.

While I've never been at it I believe the wheel would have to come off and the wheel liner be removed to gain access to this area.

Based on my experience you probably don't have to do the above to ID and fix the problem.

With my Boxster, several times the fuel filler door lock failed to lock the lid and I traced this to a plastic bushing that comes loose. I found this bushing at the bottom of the basin once and not knowing where it came from or what role it played I stored it in the ash tray. After some time I discovered the fuel door wasn't locked when the car was locked and got to looking at the locking pin when locking the car.

What I saw was the pin was actually retracting a bit and it was very loose in the hole. Something dawned on me and I fetched the plastic bushing I had put in the ash tray and found it could be pressed into the hole through which the rod should extend. It is important that the rod be guided so it goes through the center of the bushing when/as the bushing is pushed into place in the sheet metal hole. This bushing is keyed so there is a right way and a wrong way to install it.

Anyhow, it snapped into place and then when I worked the lock button on the key the rod clearly extended out far enough to lock the lid and just as important retract ed fully to allow the door to open.

Some years later when I went to fill up the fuel tank I found the bushing loose again -- I have no idea why it came loose the first or second times -- and just snapped it back into place and so far it has remained in place.

If the bushing is missing and you can't find it I think you can buy a replacement from the dealer.

If installing the bushing correctly doesn't have the locking pin extending far enough to lock the door then you'll have to dig deeper and I guess look at the solenoid or whatever electrical/mechanical device it is that moves the rod out and back again to lock and unlock the fuel filler door.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
rporzio
Pro

Thank you so much. I'll have to look again but I think I may the same symptoms. Ralph
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah same thing happened to me. I saw the busing just sitting there at the bottom of the basin, and I guessed at where it would go. Fortunately, It's still enclosed, or I'd have lost that part on the road and had to pay an enormous amount form the dealership to replace it.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
rporzio
Pro

Yup, I did get it to lock a couple of times but I cant seem to figure out if the bushing is there or gone. Too hot out in the driveway to play with it right now...
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine had gone and I used a rubber grommet to fit which you can buy cheap anywhere. That was 2 years ago and it's still in place and working fine. BTW are your inside lights and door lights working properly. If not then it's the alarm module at fault. If not get back to me and I can explain more fully.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
rporzio
Pro

Thanks H, yes everything else is working fine. Just got to dig a little deeper into this little issue and all that will be left is the therapy of detailing! Ralph

Quick Reply: 2004 C2 Fuel Filler Door