996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Non-running Porsche 996 Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Just four of them so far… It was happening so much I had to form another company and become a used car dealer licensed in Georgia to hold the cars.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Well done. Send the ones that don't meet your standards to here. People will buy them quickly and thia will work out well for the owner too.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I already do.. We only want the nicest lowest mileage cars to hold for our engines to be fitted.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright guys, it's been a while since I updated this one, I have actually gotten the heads repaired and have all of the parts to start the rebuild.

Anybody interested in buying all the parts required to put back together a 996?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996EngineRebuild
alright guys, it's been a while since I updated this one, I have actually gotten the heads repaired and have all of the parts to start the rebuild.

Anybody interested in buying all the parts required to put back together a 996?
so what you are saying is that you have a 996 in pieces that you are looking to sell? Where in Illinois (it's a big state after all) and what kind of price are you thinking about?
Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Are you selling the car WITH a disassembled engine or only the engine?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
so what you are saying is that you have a 996 in pieces that you are looking to sell? Where in Illinois (it's a big state after all) and what kind of price are you thinking about?
It is in Peoria, IL and I am considering offers on price
Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Originally Posted by Imo000
Are you selling the car WITH a disassembled engine or only the engine?
The car and the engine, it is just disassembled is all, I even have a new water pump for it (I suspect the one on it caused the problem in the first place) I had a porsche repair shop fix the heads
Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

Are you considering becoming a paying member before posting a thinly veiled for sale ad?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996EngineRebuild
The car and the engine, it is just disassembled is all, I even have a new water pump for it (I suspect the one on it caused the problem in the first place) I had a porsche repair shop fix the heads
9 or 10k?

A running 996.1 car is worth somewhere around 15-20k clean examples might go a bit higher. If you simply remove the amount a shop would charge to put it back together plus the cost of what ever parts you have inevitably lost what is that number?

I would imagine that very few shops want that work, and those that did take it would probably charge a giant premium to do so. Even if it is only say 40 hours of labor (I am guessing because A - i don't know how long it takes to put a 996 back together, and B - I have no idea of the state of the engine) that is $5000, most shops are probably going to quote $7500 as a CYA (I know I would)

If the car was worth $17.5k before (again taking an average from above) its worth maybe $10 now. I say that because as a buyer I have NO way of knowing what I am buying. I have to drop down a pile of money then spend a smaller pile of money or months of my time putting it back together only to find out that the engine is still bad.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:46 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Talking

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
9 or 10k?

A running 996.1 car is worth somewhere around 15-20k clean examples might go a bit higher. If you simply remove the amount a shop would charge to put it back together plus the cost of what ever parts you have inevitably lost what is that number?

I would imagine that very few shops want that work, and those that did take it would probably charge a giant premium to do so. Even if it is only say 40 hours of labor (I am guessing because A - i don't know how long it takes to put a 996 back together, and B - I have no idea of the state of the engine) that is $5000, most shops are probably going to quote $7500 as a CYA (I know I would)

If the car was worth $17.5k before (again taking an average from above) its worth maybe $10 now. I say that because as a buyer I have NO way of knowing what I am buying. I have to drop down a pile of money then spend a smaller pile of money or months of my time putting it back together only to find out that the engine is still bad.

$10k is just slightly lower than I what I am thinking but not unexpected, if anybody wants to chat about it, private message me
Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Even $10K is very optimistic. From a buyer's point of view what you have is a rolling chasis with a disassembled engine in unknown condition (maybe all the parts are there, mayne not) and a transmission that can not be tested either. What you have is almost the worst combination to sell.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Even $10K is very optimistic. From a buyer's point of view what you have is a rolling chasis with a disassembled engine in unknown condition (maybe all the parts are there, mayne not) and a transmission that can not be tested either. What you have is almost the worst combination to sell.
oh for sure, it is a terrible situation, I did put a brand new clutch and flywheel in about 2 weeks before it went **** up too. Definitely a bad situation, just looking at options. For me it is either attempt to fix it myself or sell it to get out from under it to somebody that has the know-how to fix it for sure
Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now this is the ideal way to buy one of these cars if you have a place to work on it yourself. Rather than sit and wonder you can find out what's really there and what condition components are in. The transmission may be harder to test, but even then if it's out it wouldn't be too bad to break it open and check it out - assuming that the person buying this knows what they are doing enough to buy it.

(edit) sorry at work and may not have picked up enough on the unkown condition part, I thought it meant "it's not running and thus it can't be tested" rather than the engine died before being taken apart.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:06 PM
996EngineRebuild
Track Day

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Hey now this is the ideal way to buy one of these cars if you have a place to work on it yourself. Rather than sit and wonder you can find out what's really there and what condition components are in. The transmission may be harder to test, but even then if it's out it wouldn't be too bad to break it open and check it out - assuming that the person buying this knows what they are doing enough to buy it.
I am looking for that guy

Quick Reply: Non-running Porsche 996 Value?