Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

A ceramic hybrid bearing has a full silicon nitride ball coupled to a hardened steel raceway, rather than a full ceramic bearing that also has a full ceramic raceway.

These terms are generally unknown, even from component providers.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannyfumi
I wish I would have seen this 30 days ago Rhonda, I would have bought yours.
Danny
Thanks Danny, Sorry about the release timing.

Originally Posted by 6ta1
seems like a good price!
It is a very fair price for such a high quality bearing. We don’t want to capitalize on fear, we only want to bring an excellent product to market so that you have more options for replacing your IMS bearing. Also please keep in mind that we have better pricing for our forum members.

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
The flier says:
1) Nothing about the dual row bearing being fitted with ceramic *****, so I assume that standard steel is used in lieu of ceramic......
2) Looks like the bearings are sealed & not open to splash lubrication as in the LN Engineering retro fit upgrade. That means they are relying on the grease to lubricate.....
Are we going back to what Porsche originally designed but with a more expensive bearing - the dual row is sealed, it uses grease as it lubrication and it has steel bearings and race ??
The dual row bearing cannot be made in ceramic, by SKF at the moment because of the pressure points on the cage. Having said we have chosen the best materials, seal and grease on the dual row from SKF as well. The service life for the dual row is calculated in hours by SKF and at an average of 40 kph for example the service life equates to 250,000 kilometers. The ceramic equates to 500,000 kilometers.

We purposely seal the bearing. The real culprit on the OEM bearing is the seal. Our seal consists of a Viton outer seal backed with a metal sleeve which does not deteriorate and keeps the grease safe from being washed out.
Our stance is not to reinvent the wheel so to speak, just make what was originally designed better and make sure that the service life is doubled. That is exactly what we have done.

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Well that posting should cheer up Jake no end. Plus a good few of the posters who went with Jake's replacement IMS bearing. Not heard from Jake in a while so maybe he has something to do with this new one.
FVD Brombacher bearings are made by SKF in Germany for us to resell. We have no affiliation with anyone and do not sell the bearings individually.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice, and the same stance that I had taken myself in many past posts. A better bearing, with better seals and grease. Looks like my choice for sure when I do my clutch, hopefully this summer. I wish I had known there was a fourm member discount when I bought my FVD wheel spacers.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM
STAGGERWING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We purposely seal the bearing. The real culprit on the OEM bearing is the seal. Our seal consists of a Viton outer seal backed with a metal sleeve which does not deteriorate and keeps the grease safe from being washed out.

Ah, the metal sleeve ---gooot idea !

Bob

--------------------------------

01 C4

31 Ford cp chp & ch, 302/350

40 ******, 302/350

38 Ford cp, 327/350

57 Belair

62 356B --long ago
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Have these been road tested? Although I'm not looking forward to replacing my ims, it seems like LN Engineering is the proven choice.
We have been engineering, modifying parts and having parts manufactured by premier manufacturers for Porsche cars for over 30 years now. We strongly believe in letting our customers know who manufacturers our products and having them tested by the manufacturers as well as ourselves. Our M96. / M97. bearings are no different. We started this process well over a year ago now with SKF and made sure to get the highest service life achievable with what they offered us. Then we installed them and tested them during that time before we released them to the public.
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
. I think the wait till April was for their dual row retrofit to a single row motor. It looks to me like FVD is a German entity with a sales house in FL. The product looks good to me. If one could improve the original design, it would include higher temp grease, better seals that are much less likely to fail, and of course high precision components and ceramic *****. Looks like the product being offered!
Our point and philosophy exactly.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pelican wouldnt listen to the 996 DIY'er. Glad someone did. Looks like a great kit though I dont agree with the seals. Wonder where this idea for an alternative to LNE came from?????? (Posted just for you, Alp.)

My idea to Pelican was a basic single row Ceramic Hybrid bearing kit with only the required parts included and a tool loan program to go with it but at a much cheaper price than LNE.

In other words, a quality sealess CH bearing, snap ring, flange seal, HD bearing stud, nut, o-ring, small tube of Loctite flange sealant and Loctite wicking sealant, possibly a RMS seal, and the specialty tools loan program. I asked for nothing from Pelican in return, nothing, nada. I just wanted to prove there are options other than LNE. The only thing extra included by them anyway is the "improved flange" which was already done by Porsche for the single row cars. The idea was aimed more at the DIY market which the 996 is now a part of.
Posted by that Krazyk guy long ago. ^
Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

^ Look who is back!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Thanks Danny, Sorry about the release timing.

It is a very fair price for such a high quality bearing. We don’t want to capitalize on fear, we only want to bring an excellent product to market so that you have more options for replacing your IMS bearing. Also please keep in mind that we have better pricing for our forum members.

The dual row bearing cannot be made in ceramic, by SKF at the moment because of the pressure points on the cage. Having said we have chosen the best materials, seal and grease on the dual row from SKF as well. The service life for the dual row is calculated in hours by SKF and at an average of 40 kph for example the service life equates to 250,000 kilometers. The ceramic equates to 500,000 kilometers.

Our stance is not to reinvent the wheel so to speak, just make what was originally designed better and make sure that the service life is doubled. That is exactly what we have done.

FVD Brombacher bearings are made by SKF in Germany for us to resell. We have no affiliation with anyone and do not sell the bearings individually.
So is there still a recommended interval of replacment of this bearing once fitted? I think LN still recommends replacing their single row ceremic bearing every 50k miles.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
^ Look who is back!
You knew he was out there. Lurking. Just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Welcome back KK. Kinda missed ya!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I know and glad he's back
Old 03-25-2014, 05:48 PM
944T4ME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 996 prices have risen this year, good to have KK around to keep them so low. Can you do the same to 997s? I uhhh heard that the engines start on fire. Yeah.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 944T4ME
Yeah 996 prices have risen this year, good to have KK around to keep them so low. Can you do the same to 997s? I uhhh heard that the engines start on fire. Yeah.
Careful..KK's already taking credit for the OP's product. Let's not make him think he has the power to single handedly bring down 996/997 prices!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
You knew he was out there. Lurking. Just waiting for the right moment to strike.

Welcome back KK. Kinda missed ya!
+996.

Btw do we need to have Marc fetch us the matching IP's tied to KK's account to make sure he hasn't been posting under a newbie account? It seems lately like an awful lots of gloom and doom posts by newbs lately.

KK, I'm still sad you never accepted my friendship request over at Renntech.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
+996.

Btw do we need to have Marc fetch us the matching IP's tied to KK's account to make sure he hasn't been posting under a newbie account? It seems lately like an awful lots of gloom and doom posts by newbs lately.

KK, I'm still sad you never accepted my friendship request over at Renntech.
I'm confused, Alpine. You wanna **** him off or make frd??
Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Incorrect. Since day one all our developments have used solid silicon nitride *****, they've never been coated.
My apology, memory is failing me, thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher - High Quality IMS Repair Kits are $ 495 - New Release!!