Sponsored by:

Frozen 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
cmcqxx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen 996

I went out to warm up my 2000 996 this morning, and it appears to be a victim of the cold weather. Unfortunately it was parked outside last night.

The window didn't drop when I opened the door and the key won't turn at all in the ignition. The radio works, but I know that doesn't mean there is enough juice to power the car. The battery is only about 4 months old so I really think/hope it isn't dead. Any thoughts on how and what to try to defrost first?

Thanks
Charlie
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a jump start instructions are in the manual or get a battery charger or tender. Disconnect the battery and bring it inside and then hook it up till it charges. Once it has a full charge it should be good to go.
Don't charge or jump start a frozen battery. Remember to prop up the hood to prevent it from closing and locking otherwise it's more work to open the hood with no battery.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

If the key won't turn there is ice? in the ign switch. Did you wiggle the steering wheel while trying to turn the switch to see if the key will free up and turn when the pressure is off of it? You can try to heat the key with a match and insert it in the ign switch to see if you can get it to turn. Just don't melt the plastic.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Luckily our 2000 MY cars have the manual hood and trunk releases, so that's not an issue.

Definitely invest in a Porsche battery trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter - keeps my car starting even after weeks of sitting in the garage, waiting for the salt to go away!

PS--Welcome!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

If the ignition doesn't turn, how did the radio come on?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

^^ mine can turn on without a key in the ignition. I accidentally turn it on when I'm cleaning the car all the time.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
If the key won't turn there is ice? in the ign switch. Did you wiggle the steering wheel while trying to turn the switch to see if the key will free up and turn when the pressure is off of it? You can try to heat the key with a match and insert it in the ign switch to see if you can get it to turn. Just don't melt the plastic.
+1 on steering lock being ON.

It is extremely unlikely that your ignition cylinder somehow froze. Exterior locks freeze out due to being exposed to water and condensation during the day as snow melts on the car, at night this water and vapor freezes.

In my country we dealt with this by WD40ing all doors before weather got to -20c and if doors do freeze using the hair dryers or buckets of hot water if no hair drying was available.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
+1 on steering lock being ON.

It is extremely unlikely that your ignition cylinder somehow froze. Exterior locks freeze out due to being exposed to water and condensation during the day as snow melts on the car, at night this water and vapor freezes.

In my country we dealt with this by WD40ing all doors before weather got to -20c and if doors do freeze using the hair dryers or buckets of hot water if no hair drying was available.
That is why I had ?? after "...ice in ign..."
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Luckily our 2000 MY cars have the manual hood and trunk releases, so that's not an issue.

Definitely invest in a Porsche battery trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter - keeps my car starting even after weeks of sitting in the garage, waiting for the salt to go away!

PS--Welcome!
Remove the battery close the frunk and see if you can open it without battery with you "manual" hood release.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im pretty sure, he means the starter wouldn't turn over, but there is enough juice to run the radio?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for steering lock
Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
FWIW, the Porsche branded "dual mode battery charger" is a rebranded CTEK 3300. The CTEK costs a lot less without the Porsche branding. I got mine from Amazon -- a CTEK MUS 4.3 (newer model) with the optional cigarette lighter plug. It has worked well so far and -- while I have no hard data -- it certainly seems like a step up from the Deltran Battery Tenders I use on my bike and riding mower.

The CTEK also comes standard with the ring terminals and alligator clamps, both of which Porsche will charge extra for.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KoB
FWIW, the Porsche branded "dual mode battery charger" is a rebranded CTEK 3300. The CTEK costs a lot less without the Porsche branding. I got mine from Amazon -- a CTEK MUS 4.3 (newer model) with the optional cigarette lighter plug. It has worked well so far and -- while I have no hard data -- it certainly seems like a step up from the Deltran Battery Tenders I use on my bike and riding mower. The CTEK also comes standard with the ring terminals and alligator clamps, both of which Porsche will charge extra for.
I picked up a black and decker model from Target for $20. It has the alligator clamps, rings, and cigarette adaptor version (which is what I use)

Blinks to tell you it's working and them goes solid when you are full.

It also works for 6V if you have any of those floating around.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

So, Resolution was???
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
cmcqxx
3rd Gear

Basically, the resolution was time and temperature. I didn't have a charger and had tried turning the wheel to address the steering lock to no avail. The sun started to come around the corner of the house and hit the car, and I was able to get enough snow and ice off the frunk to let the sun hit the battery. I gave it 20 mins and tried again, and all was good. It has been fine since - esp since I've made sure it was in the garage and night and took my wife's car today when it was 2 degrees when I left for work.

Quick Reply: Frozen 996