Highest mileage 996 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 06:59 PM
G TS
6th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Rescued: '01 996 C4 Tip 160K All orig.
Formerly from: IN, AL

Dealer notes: Too many things to fix and unfamiliar with most of the car's symptoms. Not running or broken (AC, window, side mirror, dead batt, CEL on, no takers).
Inspection & smog results: Failed

Weather temp during visit: 100deg. F (clear)
Test Drive log: Front end clunks & vibrations, brake pulsations, warm stalls and tail pipe smoke. However, TIP shifts well and Engine pulls strong.

My impressions that day: Seems like the car isn't raced, just worn out. Estimated time to sort the car out by myself is 1-2yrs.
Purchase Analysis: Very high risk but very high Driving reward if sorted.

Haggling log: 1st attempt Failed @$8K. 2nd and final attempt (I was ready to walk away if this one fails) passed @9995+fees.

Reason for purchase: My first coupe was a 1996 Ford probe (jet Black, 5spd, paid$6K circa 1998). One night during dinner at a restaurant, (looking out) a 1999 911 same color parked next to my Ford. I said to myself that car's rear is better looking than my ford and I'll have that one someday.

The Long Drive home 60miles: Very nervous (what did i just get myself into) yet very excited (2decades later, finally got that 911 that was next to my Probe, relief). I was hungry for fast food after the purchase. So I dined in while staring at the 911's rear and remembering the past. Then before leaving the parking lot the car hesitated and stalled (OH ****, tried again no start, f$%k). I paused there for 5minutes thinking about to not burn the starter and drain the battery while sweating under the summer heat, NO a/c and a window that won't roll down. So i brought out the obd scanner and deleted all DTCs (crossed fingers). I then turned key to start and pressed down gas pedal, lo and behold it started and with a roar. So i scrammed outta there just find out a mile later that the dealer didn't fill up the gas tank and i have to make a pitstop for a fill up (****). The closest station was a Citgo (I'm like man...I think this 911 is looking for some premium Shell gas). So while i filled it up with the 91special, i whispered to it (OMG pls. pls. start so we could go home and fix you UP). The C4 started with no drama (relief) and we sped out of the small town.

Before the interstate entrance is a traffic light turned red & i stopped and it was Hot inside the car (no A/C, no roll down window but sunroof open). Then after 30 seconds, rain poured due to that humid summer day. I had to close the sun roof, crap. Then turned on the wipers just to discover that the blades were shot and can't wipe the water out properly, (**** we are just having to deal with these events on & on). Moving on to the express way slowly in the rain and eventually passing the rain clouds is my exit to a mountain pass before the next freeway home. I drove up to the mountain observing the car's squeaks and vibrations (this may need ball joints, tie rods, tires, alignment etc and definitely new brakes). The up hill climb was a piece of cake and i was carefull down hill due to the worn out brakes. After the down hill, i found myself on a wide open 2 mile stretch of lonely road. I just had to open the Taps and the hell with it (this is the only way to find out if the car is broken or not). Switch to manual mode, down shift to 3rd rev up to 6k, shift to 4th rev up to 5500, we're now on 3triple digits, shift to 5th and let off pedal to speed limit. Wow, wow, thank God it is in good shape (it put a smile on my face).

We made it home. I Parked it outside and opened the rear to cool it down. Kids playing outside thought it is a brand new sports car (they had no clue). My children want a ride with it, so i took them for a spin and they realized there was no a/c and wanted to go home right away, Haha. When it cooled down i jacked up the wheels one by one to find out the problems to sort out for the many months to come, it was many.

A year or so have passed and the car is now 96% sorted out. Passed smog and inspection and now in good working order in stock form. It is rewarding me for every drive and speed runs (Thank God for his treasures). I cannot explain the gratification of fixing up by myself a really good platform of a sports car. It started as a dream, a dream saved, a dream realized & thank you for your time.

List of problems: Catalyic converter x1 and rusted clamps (all), rusted or broken header bolts (all), rusted O2sensors x2, cracked coils x6, busted inner cv boots x3, busted control arms x2, busted tie rod ends x2, busted front top strut mounts x2, busted front shocks and bump stops x2, busted front sway bar links, rear rotors & pads shot, driver's window regulator shot, driver's side mirror loose, wipers, various light bulbs burned out, rusted tail lamp housing, oil change, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, busted a/c condenser x2, stage 1 resistor failed, fog light fuse failed, all speakers deteriorated excluding the subs, fuel cap rubber gasket, oil cap hose cracked, MAF dirty, rock chips on windsheild, lift support @frunk busted, one really old tire, wheel balance, alignment.
The following 5 users liked this post by G TS:
Argeo (03-30-2022), AZPete (09-30-2020), Elumere (09-25-2020), Guaji (12-15-2020), wyovino (09-27-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

This is not a contest that I would want to win.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 AM
G TS
6th Gear

Kindly advise where online may i purchase those headlight covers?
Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

"The cheapest Porsche you can find will be the most expensive Porsche you can own..." Truer words have never been spoken! I'm glad it's worked out for you so far - it was a heck of a gamble! Good luck with future projects and keep your fingers crossed. It seems like most of the stuff you've done is collateral to the engine (the heart of the beast, and the most expensive to deal with). Make sure you keep it running properly with frequent oil changes (no more than 4 or 5k mi.) and regular maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (09-30-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 12:19 PM
joekr1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
1999 (3/98) Carrera 2, bought in Feb 2018 at 171k. Just turned 183k last weekend after running the mountains and the Tail of the Dragon
Daily driven and enjoyed...had originally planned a re-build at 200k..but after reading this I don't know. Original engine, LNE bearing at 148k by the PO, and she uses no oil. I do want to change the chain pads however. Pulled the pan a few weeks ago and the only thing I found were tiny bits of plastic from the chain pads. Perfect condition in there otherwise.

Car looks amazing. What wing is that and where did you get it?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:28 PM
G TS
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dporto
"The cheapest Porsche you can find will be the most expensive Porsche you can own..." Truer words have never been spoken! I'm glad it's worked out for you so far - it was a heck of a gamble! Good luck with future projects and keep your fingers crossed. It seems like most of the stuff you've done is collateral to the engine (the heart of the beast, and the most expensive to deal with). Make sure you keep it running properly with frequent oil changes (no more than 4 or 5k mi.) and regular maintenance.
Thank you for your kind words. Chapter 2, I will post soon (Saving 996TT).
Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 AM
AZPete
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Gratification of DIY

G TS, nice work recovering a well-used 996. I've done the same but not nearly as much needed for a C2 with 54K. You wrote, "I cannot explain the gratification of fixing up by myself . .. " and I know the feeling. Congrats.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:33 AM
G TS
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
As someone who has owned both a 996 NA and 996 TT, I can tell you that the two cars are different, not only in the obviously expected acceleration department, but the 996 NA being lighter feels more tossable and nimble-essentially more fun as a driver's car, at least IMHO. Agreed it's not at all like the older air cooled 911's of which I've also owned several over the years. However for what you are looking for, given the IMS/RMS issues have been addressed, and given the price point, I'd buy that car in a heartbeat.
This is correct. I have both the '01 996 C4 Tip and TT Tip, both on stock wheels. Both have Bilstein B6 shocks (firmer than stock). C4 has stock springs (US spec), TT has stock Euro spec springs. C4 is a downhill monster and TT is the uphill monster. By just upgrading to B6 shocks and thick sway bars & drop links...Wow, wow, these are comfortable racers. Be particular on tires as well. I like Pzeros & Pilot sports, but pricey. If on a budget Conti's and Sumi's will do just fine.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:01 PM
G TS
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AZPete
G TS, nice work recovering a well-used 996. I've done the same but not nearly as much needed for a C2 with 54K. You wrote, "I cannot explain the gratification of fixing up by myself . .. " and I know the feeling. Congrats.
Thank you for your kind words. I saved a 996TT as well. The confidence garnered from fixing up my C4 made room for a Turbo. It is super gratifying as well, 420hp worth of planted exhilaration. Chapter 2 (Saving 996TT), I will post soon.
AZPete (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:33 PM
G TS
6th Gear

Chapter 2
Saved: '01 996TT Tip 102K All orig. (with lowering springs, thick sway bars, K&N)
Formerly from: CA, FL

911 search priority analysis log @3yrs. duration: 1st lowest entry level cost. 2nd clean history. 3rd strong engine & trans. 4th possibly one with a Mezger engine. Side note: 1st, 2nd & 3rd was found on Year2 on my C4 (from previous chapter). However this turbo was listed for $39K on Year2 & had my eye on it (but C4 won that year). Then, this Turbo match-made on year 3.

Dealer notes: In good condition, no takers for over a year & others have their financing fell through.
Inspection & smog results: Pass

Weather temp during visit: 96deg. F (clear)

Test Drive log: First, the car was brought in from storage by a porter. Upon the approach to the lot is a higher than normal ramp 30yards from where i'm standing. I'm thinking...Easy, Easy, pls. use an angle on the ramp, Ahhh cringe...damn he just went straight up, no pausing and scraped the nose loudly, Arrrgh. Second, before driving off i turned on the A/C @max, windows, lights (all good). However the lift supports were all weak. Then i drove off and angled that ramp very slowly (no scrape).

The car drove well in normal traffic with comfort (seems to be perfect). Then it was time for some boost. I found an open road, switch to manual mode, downshift to 3rd and just stepped on it for some booooost. I had to shift to 4th and let off the pedal quickly. This one is just too quick, I can't even glance at the tach because my attention is on the road in front of me and the rear right that was twitching (Blood pressure Rising). I did this boost test x4 times and gave up (rear consistently wants to break loose). Furthermore, there was this small road unevenness before the freeway exit and upon breaking before the bend, the abs kicked in fighting to keep the rear planted (SHIVERS, baffled & time to end this session). The Tip shifts well, engine is very strong, quick and scary.

My impressions that day: This car is definitely raced due to sport springs and sway bar. The car's stance looked mean (slammed in a good way). The right rear wanting to break loose is terrifying (definitely something is wrong with it). This is a monster of a 911. Estimated time to sort the car out by myself is 1-2yrs. I just got to have it.

Purchase Analysis: Risky due to the unstable rear. However, I gained confidence fixing up the 996C4 that i was prepared to save this thing from its near demise.

Haggling log: 1st attempt Failed @24K+fees. 2nd and final attempt (Beforehand, i reminded the sales Mgr. of the car's rear wanting to break loose always during boost and I was ready to walk away if this one fails) passed @26995+fees.

Reason for purchase: My first turbo coupe was 1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD (Silver, 5pd, Street clutch, Dunk cat-back, K&N, boost controlled @280HP, paid $7K circa 2001). One Friday night when my young wife & I walked out of the movie theatre, I saw this shiny Silver Monster parked beside my Eagle (Intercooler vents on all, wide fat rear tires, drilled rotors, red calipers, shiny Turbo badge @back Mmm...mmm), A 2001 911 Turbo MSRP $130K+ (Ouch). However, I thought...(just paid 80K for our home, this vehicle was way too much money) but I'll get you (whispered)...someday & waved good bye.

The Drive home 15miles: Knowing that the Torque on this thing would want to break loose its rear, I drove cautiously. There were so many traffic lights along the way out of this medium busy town and I stopped on each red light while leading the front of the pack. By the 3rd red light, stopped by my rear right is a loud Voilet Challenger Scat pack (didn't want to stop parallel beside me, just right of my tail and stares on rear). I'm thinking...I've done the same thing whenever i see a 911 Turbo on any year model, I understand. By the final light before the freeway and directly behind me is a loud black 6th gen Mustang 5.0 (I'm thinking, this must be a good day for folks bringing out their toys Mmm...mmm and we're about to be left in the dust). I took the center lane on the 4lane freeway and prepared to be dusted, but no...these V8s didn't pass me and we were on a triangle formation in the freeway (hmmm...why wouldn't they pass me, its wide open in front and clear, bizarre). Next is my exit, signalled right and merged to ramp and suddenly these muscle cars shot off like wild wolves chasing prey. I thought (that's respect leaving me in front like a pace car), cool.

We made it home. I pulled the C4 out of the garage and brought the Turbo in. I opened the rear to cool it off and back inside for diner then a movie, Jumanji (In background: child says Turbo's here, I'll be the first to ride). After the movie, I just had to look under the rear of the Turbo. It was too low and can't see anything. I had a hard time looking for the jack points due to its skirts. When it was up i saw the red H&Rs, Bilstein B6 (now this is a mismatch setup & thought of replacing it with the Euro spec stock ones). Then i took off the left rear wheel (a 295 Pilot sport-fat one, Mmmm). Rotors are originals and fully worn. There were a lot of pebbles & some sand sitting on the coffin arm (aha, this one is raced and went off the track). I see this red thick sway bar (Eibachs) and this thick drop link (Meyle). Finally Alas! found a broken off drop link.

The break was at the shock mount point (It is very hard to see without the car up. Just glancing below when the car is sitting down you'll see the bottom of drop links seated fine on swaybar). The cause of break is a halfway inserted bolt of the drop link. Both sides were inserted halfway. It appears to be a rushed install. Thank God for putting me in a Tiptronic, otherwise i would've spun it already during the test drive. The unthinkable dangers of a broken sway bar system in this German muscle car (It was touch & go for me). Thank you God again for putting me and the Turbo in the center of your palm. In addition, thank you God for landing this Mezger safely into my arms (Thank God for his treasures).

Some weeks have passed and the car is now 91% sorted out. I didn't like the B6 and H&R combo (but the show car looks Mmm...mmm). It was just bouncing and scraping (there is no suspension, just bottoming out). However, the B6s are not blown (just incompatible with a lowered spring).

Eventually, I received the Euro spec springs. I mounted these bad boys plus alignment and balance (what a MACHINE). My children compares it to the Joker rides in 6flags (just x6 times better). The Pull on this thing when the Turbo kicks-in is violent, all the way to redline. I cannot explain the gratification of being able to sort and solve the problems of these excellent machines by myself. Moreover, It is giving back what I cannot attain 2decades ago. Thank you God for your gifts. Thank you 911 community for the vlogs and thank you for your time.

List of problems: x1 Broken drop link mount @rear shock, x1 broken rear droplink bolt and thread, x1 busted front top strut mount, rear wiper, x1 front parking light bulb, reverse light, missing front bump stops & boot x2, rear rotors & pads, left rear tire inside wear, lift supports, front speakers deteriorated, MAF dirty, oil change, oil filter, wheel balance, alignment.

The following 3 users liked this post by G TS:
AZPete (09-30-2020), bdronsick (04-19-2021), Willys 47 (01-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:41 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 589 Posts

LOVED reading this! My current C2 only has 75K miles so it’s a relative infant on this thread, but I can boast that I sold my first MY1999 with over 160K mikes and all original drivetrain AFAIK (bought it at 80K). Ran like a Rolex. All I did from 80K to 160K+ was standard maintenance.

Last edited by bdronsick; 04-19-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:29 PM
learnsails
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

190K on my 1999 996 runs great. New clutch and IMS bearing at 130k, brakes, regular oil changes.
The following 3 users liked this post by learnsails:
bdronsick (10-11-2021), Mike Murphy (10-11-2021), Putt-Putt (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 12:42 AM
tedg04
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

160k on my '99 (02/98 build). IMS was done at ~70k many years ago. I'm not concerned with it at this point.
bdronsick (10-12-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 AM
OlderSlower
Track Day

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

137K on my 02 C4S. New clutch, IMS, Numeric Racing shifter, Soul Performance cats. Getting it sorted, I love it!
Old 11-05-2021, 10:49 PM
ArcticOne
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

1999 C2 rolled over 160,000 KM (which means I be closing in on 100,000 of them miles things). Also closing in on the time to sell it on to its next keeper.

jb
bdronsick (11-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Highest mileage 996 ?