Sponsored by:

Gambled and Lost

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scorchpa
I don't want to sound too naive here.... but what is Range 1 ignitions and Range 2 Ignitions? I assume Range 2 is redline, but what is Range 1, and should I be turned off in buying a car if this number is too high?
Get the latest edition of Excellence Magazine that outlined this in a special feature article... I'd quote you an answer but it's not in front of me.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by scorchpa
I don't want to sound too naive here.... but what is Range 1 ignitions and Range 2 Ignitions? I assume Range 2 is redline, but what is Range 1, and should I be turned off in buying a car if this number is too high?
http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I was thinking the opposite. I usually shift around 4k RPM and rarely let the engine go below 3k. Over 5k RPM is where the performance comes out in these cars. I hate to say it but the driving pattern you describe in your post may actually be "lugging"
At part-throttle acceleration I wonder where the PDK and Tiptronic shift as well as hold RPMs while cruising. Seems automatics usually keep RPMs at a rather low range.

I understand Porsche designed these engines to be capable on the track but I have doubts that they need to be revved halfway to redline just in order to maintain proper lubrication.

In top gear at 80 mph the revs are around 3000 rpm. How many use 4th or 5th all the time to keep revs up higher on the highway? Seems like an excessive waste of fuel as well as wear and tear on the engine if the oiling system is effective enough to work properly at a lower RPM.

This is rather important and I would love to see some definitive data on this.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrazy
At part-throttle acceleration I wonder where the PDK and Tiptronic shift as well as hold RPMs while cruising. Seems automatics usually keep RPMs at a rather low range.

I understand Porsche designed these engines to be capable on the track but I have doubts that they need to be revved halfway to redline just in order to maintain proper lubrication.

In top gear at 80 mph the revs are around 3000 rpm. How many use 4th or 5th all the time to keep revs up higher on the highway? Seems like an excessive waste of fuel as well as wear and tear on the engine if the oiling system is effective enough to work properly at a lower RPM.

I keep an eye on the oil gauge, tach, and speedo, in that order. I have the LN oil adapter installed, and the oil pressure stays nice and high at even 2250 rpm, though I tend to keep it above that consistently.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McCrazy

I tried this today, with gentle acceleration the Tip will change up at about 2200 rpm dropping to about 1700 rpm in the next gear up. The transmission will happily hold 5th gear at 2000 rpm. Oil pressure is a touch under 3 bar on a fully warmed engine.

How does one define lugging? I would consider lugging to be one of two conditions:

Overloading an engine at low rpm where there is insufficient oil pressure to maintain hydrodynamic lubrication.

Running an engine in too high a gear for the available torque such that the engine exhibits obvious signs of stress, such as jerkiness and/or knocking, when trying to accelerate. This is far less common in modern vehicles due to the engine management systems.

My C4S Tip is a 3400 lb car which outputs 207 lbs-ft of torque at 2000 rpm (which incidentally is exactly the same torque as it outputs at 7200 rpm). In 5th gear it has an overall drive ratio of 2.80:1

The 2.0 litre Ford Focus is a 3000 lb car which has a peak torque output of 146 lbs-ft at 4450 rpm. In 6th gear in has an overall drive ratio of 2.84:1

Essentially the Focus at peak torque, has 30% less torque available to accelerate 12% less weight than the C4S at 2000 rpm. Would anyone suggest that the Focus was being lugged at 4450 rpm in 6th gear?

So change ups between 2000 and 3000 rpm may not be in line with the ethos of the car, but lugging it; probably not!

Well, got that off my chest.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

"Lugging" to me at least only applies to manual owners.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
"Lugging" to me at least only applies to manual owners.
Do manual transmission cars have greater rates of engine failure?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, it seems so but has anyone researched this?

Quick Reply: Gambled and Lost