Shake, rattle and roll

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shake, rattle and roll

Hi:

I posted awhile back about some annoying rattles coming from the sunroof, rear window, and side quarter windows. Thanks to all of your help in identifying TSB's, and two trips to the dealer for a total of 6 days, these problems were identified and fixed . . . well, sort of.

After the first 3 days in the shop, the "fix" lasted for about 10 days, before the annoying rattles re-appeared. After another three days and a pronouncement that they were again fixed, things looked good -- for about 2-1/2 weeks this time. Problem is that the side quarter windows are rattling again.

So here's my question. Am I wasting time going back to have this fixed yet again? Is it really fix-able, or something that at best can be fixed for awhile but will eventually recur??

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:21 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If it's convenient, I would absolutely keep returning, making sure you document everything that has been done. That way, if you take it to a "higher court" you have proper documentation, signed by dealer service dept. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Don... these are all fixable. If your dealer can't seem to fix it they can call in someone from PCNA to help.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:30 AM
racer63
Racer

I've got many of the same rattles you describe. Can someone point me in the direction of the TSBs?

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a MY02 TT...
Ask your dealer to review the following TT TSBs:
2/01 5302 Noises in the Rear Seat Well (dated 8-24-01)
1/02 5717 Noises in Door Lock Area (dated 8-16-02)
4/01 6028 Noises from the New Style Sunroof Frame (dated 10-5-01)
Old 07-15-2003, 02:12 PM
racer63
Racer

Thanks very much Loren!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Arrghhh!!! I'm at wit's end here (a short trip). The car's been in to the shop 4 times to have the same rattle fixed!!! This one seems to be coming either from the rear driver's side quarter window or the B-pillar. Every time, they pronouce it fixed and within a week or two, I'm back.

The rattle is most noticeable after the car's been outside in hot weather, then cools off and is driven.

Is it time to suggest to the dealer that whatever they're doing isn't working and request that they get help from PCNA? Any tips appreciated.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

After 3 trips, I would definitely get PCNA in the loop with a official letter and threat of "lemon" replacement.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:10 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

What can or will PCNA do in this situation? Will they send out a tech to help trouble shoot and, hopefully, fix the problem?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:16 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You might want to take a little time and investigate "lemon laws" in CA and what is involved regarding documentation, reporting, etc.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:29 AM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by DonW-Cape Cod
You might want to take a little time and investigate "lemon laws" in CA and what is involved regarding documentation, reporting, etc.
I had to do down this road with Mazda several years ago, when my RX7 burned to the ground. The lemon law seemed to be the best legal approach... I ended up getting a refund of all amounts paid for the car, including down payment, monthly payments, etc.

From what I recall, I beleive the manufacturer, and its rep (the dealer) have four tries to get a specific problem fixed. There's also a "number of days in the shop" criterion, which I beleive approaches 30 days. You only have to meet one of the criterion.

Whether or not rattles will qualify is another question. I would bet that they do not, but I don't know for sure.

Honestly, this seems like something that a competent dealer should be able to fix. From the sound of your rattle, I had the very same rattle and my dealer was able to fix it. I would bet that PCNA can assist.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Thanks for all of your helpful responses. This may seem like a silly question, but to get PCNA involved and their technical assistance, should I work through my dealer - tell them that I think it's time to get outside help - or do I just contact PCNA directly, myself?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

call PCNA directly and do check lemon law
Old 08-25-2003, 02:14 PM
ER996
Advanced

Dmitri,

My '03 996 had squeeks in the rear quarter windows, rear window and sunroof. It also had a substantial rattle in the front dash, around the passenger airbag. It took one trip to the dealer to fix the window squeeks, one separate trip for the sunroof, and five (yes, five, including the attempts made during the window-fix trips) to fix the rattle from the dash. The car is now totally fixed. The dealer never complained and was very apologetic for the problem failing to be fixed. On the rattle, whever I picked up the car, it would be ok and then it would return after 1-2 weeks. I told the dealer to please get Porsche NA involved and they did. Car's been perfect for about two months now.

Stick with it - you may need to drive with the service person to point out the problem and I would not hesitate to tell them to call the Porsche service reps who travel around to the dealerships to help with service issues. This will raise the attention level at the dealership and they will NOT want to have you return after it has been fixed once the Porsche rep is involved.

Last, I should say that these sounds annoyed the hell out of me. If it bothers you half as much as it bothered me, it is really worth sticking it out to get the fix done because it is MUCH more pleasant to drive without feeling like your $80k car is squeeking and rattling away.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Thanks for the moral support ER996. I guess I'm sort of like you - the squeaks and rattles really do bug me, even more so because of the cost of the car. I have a '63 Studebaker Avanti that doesn't rattle as much (well, not quite as much), but I can understand the rattles in a 40 year old car.

I've called the service person whom I dealt with at the dealer to let him know the fix didn't work, and suggested that it might be time to get PCNA involved. He said he was going to discuss this with the service manager and get back to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

By the way, did they ever tell you what caused the rattling in the quarter windows? Mine sounds like it's coming from either the window or the B-pillar itself. Also, a "buzzing" type of rattle at the front of the headliner, probably sun-roof related.

Quick Reply: Shake, rattle and roll