Sponsored by:

Shake, rattle and roll

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:19 PM
ER996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dmitri,

The dealership told me that the window seals in all fixed windows are sealed in a way that makes some noise when there is flex caused by larger bumps in the road, transitioning from the street to steep incline, etc. Anything where the chassis flex you hear the windows squeek. The fix was a cording material added to the seals. I didn't ask what the problem was for the sunroof - I know they changed out some of the mechanism itself. Honestly, the windows squeeking and dash rattle was so loud that I didn't notice the sunroof problem. The dealership noticed it when they fixed the other problems and then test drove the car. According to the dealership, the dash rattle was the airbag cage (don;t know why it took five tries to fix that...)

I had a Toyota Landcruiser that was quieter than these sounds from the new Porsche. But, again, they are now finally fixed. I found myself using the stereo all the time just to avoid hearing the noises. It was not that they were so loud, but the fact that they were so prevelant on a new car. In fairness to Porsche, I do imagine that it is hard to keep the car quiet when the chassis are so stiff and the roads are not great. I was very frustrated with the car for having these crappy problems, but once they were finally fixed (and the break in period was over so I could allow the engine rpms up) I really started to enjoy it.
ER996
Advanced

Dmitri,

The dealership told me that the window seals in all fixed windows are sealed in a way that makes some noise when there is flex caused by larger bumps in the road, transitioning from the street to steep incline, etc. Anything where the chassis flex you hear the windows squeek. The fix was a cording material added to the seals. I didn't ask what the problem was for the sunroof - I know they changed out some of the mechanism itself. Honestly, the windows squeeking and dash rattle was so loud that I didn't notice the sunroof problem. The dealership noticed it when they fixed the other problems and then test drove the car. According to the dealership, the dash rattle was the airbag cage (don;t know why it took five tries to fix that...)

I had a Toyota Landcruiser that was quieter than these sounds from the new Porsche. But, again, they are now finally fixed. I found myself using the stereo all the time just to avoid hearing the noises. It was not that they were so loud, but the fact that they were so prevelant on a new car. In fairness to Porsche, I do imagine that it is hard to keep the car quiet when the chassis are so stiff and the roads are not great. I was very frustrated with the car for having these crappy problems, but once they were finally fixed (and the break in period was over so I could allow the engine rpms up) I really started to enjoy it.
ER996
Advanced

Dmitri,

Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 PM
ER996
Advanced

Sorry about the multiple posts. ER
Old 08-25-2003, 06:48 PM
aktundramonkey
Advanced

Here's a story about CA's lemon law. A friend of mine bought an A4 in LA for his kid. While visiting, I told him that I thought the transmisson was making a funny noise (the car ran fine, it just didn't sound right). After the dealer put two transmissions in the car and the noise didn't go away, the dealer gave him a new car that was one model year newer and had more options. There wasn't any drama at all, simply a "reminder" to the service manager about the lemon law. I've never read the law, but it must have teeth for the Audi dealer to have reacted the way it did. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the exact problem I had (sunroof)....squeeked only when open. Needless to say it was maddening. First visit, the techs couldn't "reproduce" it so they couldn't fix it.

I went back, took a tech out to the car and with the roof open placed my hand on headliner to give the roof (open underneath) a few manual jounces and sure enough something was not right. We compared to be certain with another 996 on the showroom floor....solid. They took the headliner out and realized only then that the bracket at the rear of the sunroof was broken and was allowing the roof to go off the track at the very rear when open thus causing the very annoying rattling. They fixed it within 24 hours and it's been perfect since. At the same time they found a "squeek" in the rear window which was also fixed.

Barrier Porsche in Bellevue, WA could tell the techs at your dealership what to look for as I'm certain it's what was ailing my car.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

A further update. After having the window rattle "fixed" a record fifth time, it's back!! PCNA had a field rep. assist the dealer last time, and I called them again this time to let 'em know I'd like the sixth trip to the dealer to be the last.

PCNA says they're sending out the field manager to help out. I sure hope this does it. The mechanic that worked on the car says it's not the window rattling, but some "clip" that's located in front of the window in the vicinity of the B-pillar. My stupid question is why, then, if I press on the window does the rattling go away? Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my temper in check. This really ought to be able to be fixed.

Anyone else have a problem with "clips" that made it sound like the window was rattling?
Old 09-05-2003, 11:15 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealership told me that the window seals in all fixed windows are sealed in a way that makes some noise when there is flex caused by larger bumps in the road, transitioning from the street to steep incline, etc. Anything where the chassis flex you hear the windows squeek.
I'm not a mechanical engineer but this explanation seems a little fishy to me. I could understand the window moving up/down or in/out as the car traveled over a bump if the seal or window was loose. It's hard for me to believe that as stiff as the 996 coupe is there is enough "chassis flex" to cause the body around the window seal to flex just going over a bump or incline. Compared to other cars I've owned, the 996 seems way stiffer. We are not talking about a TR6 here (no offense to any TR6 owners).

Maybe some real engineers can provide insight.

BTW, I also had a rattling rear driver's side window, which was fixed in one trip. As the other posters have indicated, this should be an easy fix.

I also completely agree, that once the breakin period is over and you get the car sorted out you will enjoy it immensely. Then you will realize it's too quiet and upgrade the exhaust. I just put on the PSE and I am in love with it.

Quick Reply: Shake, rattle and roll