Sponsored by:

Pictures of my IMS bearing 100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pictures of my IMS bearing 100k miles

I figured I would share pictures of my IMS bearing that was removed from my car.

I opted to go with the Pelican Parts bearing kit rather than the LN.

Bearing looks fine but definitely has significantly more resistance than the new Pelican Parts one does.

Also I find there is more side to side play on the Pelican Parts new bearing, where to old one had none.

I'm guessing my seals may have started to go bad on the original, causing the resistance and lack of side to side play.

Either way, it rolled smooth and had no hang up or friction points.
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Model year and original owner? I am also interested in type of oil you use and the frequency of the oil changes.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Pop the seals and post pictures.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

And yet another bearing has been changed which had next to nothing wrong with it. Can this be called preventative maintenance? Personally I think not. Not that anyone would care what I think. If so, then can we say that eventually every moving part of the 996 will wear out and should be changed before it does starts wearing out? And before anyone jumps in to say that the IMS gives no warning of failing in comparison to other moving parts on the car, , It does. If owners would cut open their oil filters every 5000 miles, they would quickly find out if the bearing was failing or some other important part of the engine was wearing. BTW I just changed my oil at 67000 and the filter was clean when I cut it open. I use Motul Synthetic 8100 X-cess Sae 5W40 and change it every 5000 miles. I would like to add that I will change my IMS IF I find the slightest of debris inside the oil filter. If I still find more on the next change then I know it is something other than the IMS bearing and further investigation would be required at that point.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Philip P
Racer

2002 996 c2
Not the original owner, have had it since 2006. Bought with 30k miles.
I do oil changes every 3000-5000 miles. Regardless of time.
I use Redline oil but have recently changed to Total.

I will take apart the original bearing tomorrow and post up more pictures.

Any advice on how to take the seals off?

Hurdigurdiman - I agree with you but couldn't afford to have my motor blow. So whilst doing a clutch, I decided to use the pelican kit to change the bearing. My shop didn't charge me much and the parts are much cheaper than the LN kit.

Other items I'm changing while under there - cam plugs, all cam chain tensioners, AOS, RMS, Clutch, flywheel, TO bearing, clutch arm.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Don't just pop the seals, cut that bearing apart and post pics.. No other way to grade that bearing otherwise. All too often people think they have a "good' bearing but they don't tear it down to really see.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Philip I didn't realize that you were doing the work yourself. Good for you that you decided to do the IMS while you had it apart. Don't I only wish that I was younger when I got my first 996 and could have turned my attention into a deeper mode of thought as you did in DIY work. I ache at the very thought. I admire you so much in that you can do anything on your car. Work these days is just another four letter word to me lol.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also think that a bearing under any real load (installed) will act differently than when its spinning on your finger. Philip already mentioned some resistance compared to the new one. Not a good sign. Good call to swap it out when you were in there, looks like you may have dodged a $10K bullet.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Philip I didn't realize that you were doing the work yourself. Good for you that you decided to do the IMS while you had it apart. Don't I only wish that I was younger when I got my first 996 and could have turned my attention into a deeper mode of thought as you did in DIY work. I ache at the very thought. I admire you so much in that you can do anything on your car. Work these days is just another four letter word to me lol.
Hurdi, I believe he said a shop did it. Don't beat yourself up over it. You got some years than a lot of us here and I for one will be happy if I still have a sports car by then, let alone being able to use a computer and understand the younger lingo. If I'm able or inclined to work on my cars then, then I know I would be one step to being senile.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine003
Hurdi, I believe he said a shop did it. Don't beat yourself up over it. You got some years than a lot of us here and I for one will be happy if I still have a sports car by then, let alone being able to use a computer and understand the younger lingo. If I'm able or inclined to work on my cars then, then I know I would be one step to being senile.
I still do a lot of simple DIY tasks on the car and I will be 72 a week from today. Ie:- air and cabin filters, oil changes, brake pads and fluid changed. Coolant changed, Serpentine belt and have plugs and sleeves to change soon. Put the drilled metal covers on the foot pedals, did the easiest of jobs changing the Reverse light switch, Cab top fixed and working good now, I had the front bumper off and cleaned between the radiators and Condensers but as far as dropping engines and heavy stuff I will have to bite the bullet and let others do those things for me if/when needed. I admire the guys who can strip the engines. By my doing DIY I have come to love the car even more. That's a lot of satisfaction knowing that you did the work yourself and that it was done correctly. All in favor say Hi. Hey Alpine, thanks for your encouraging comments.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Hurd, I admire you(just not your rear emblems ).
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I send my used oil for a UOA...in addition to inspecting used oil filters. An IMS upgrade is of course on my TO-DO list.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Philip P
Racer

well taking apart the bearing was much more difficult than I anticipated.

I pressed out the bolt center and tried to get it apart but that didnt work. I then used a punch and just made a mess.

This is the best photos I got.
Attached Images      
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Slicing the outer race is the easiest way to pull the IMSB apart without creating even more damage to the components.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Quick Reply: Pictures of my IMS bearing 100k miles