Sponsored by:

key fob (keyless entry) battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
WebologyWORX
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key fob (keyless entry) battery replacement

I assume I can just go to Batteries Plus for a new battery for the unit - I've been told the key "may" have to be recoded afterwards though. Assuming I don't want to go to the dealership for this as I'm sure they'll jack the price up - any recommendations on where to go?
The following users liked this post:
tms699 (09-08-2019)
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, just pop out the old, and in with the new. That worked for me 3 years ago. But.... just last month, I replaced with a new battery and there was no communication with the mothership. I checked voltage with a multimeter, and all was good.

From what I've researched, the 996 key head contains a "transponder capsule" that creates a signal, received by the car's immobilizer computer. In order to get the door lock/unlock to work again, there's a mating process between key head and the immobilizer. I've never done this myself, but there was a thread on the 996 forum recently where a guy was charging $50 or so to do this, versus big bux from the dealer.

Best thing to do is try the battery first. If that doesn't work, keep us updated on what you decide to do next.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Oh, and there's this "reset" procedure too.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ecognized.html
Old 08-23-2013, 06:34 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My remote key stopped working about a year and half ago, and I have not bothered to correct it. Where do you purchase the replacement battery or do you just go to a dealer?? Advice much appreciated
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Originally Posted by morganabowen
My remote key stopped working about a year and half ago, and I have not bothered to correct it. Where do you purchase the replacement battery or do you just go to a dealer?? Advice much appreciated
Try replacing the battery first. Advance Auto Parts sells the battery, as do other retail car part stores.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Wow! I cannot believe how complicated people make stuff out to be. Batteries in key fobs die all the time, American, German, Japan made cars, etc. Are you telling me you have never ever had to replace a key fob battery before? The battery is a CR2032, available at CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Radio Shack blah blah. Pop open the key fob, replace battery. There is no great mystery here or some secret procedure and is about the most simple thing to do. You do not have to go to the dealer for reprogramming.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM
WebologyWORX
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Wow! I cannot believe how complicated people make stuff out to be. Batteries in key fobs die all the time, American, German, Japan made cars, etc. Are you telling me you have never ever had to replace a key fob battery before? The battery is a CR2032, available at CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Radio Shack blah blah. Pop open the key fob, replace battery. There is no great mystery here or some secret procedure and is about the most simple thing to do. You do not have to go to the dealer for reprogramming.
Well - I did just that. Got the battery from Batteries plus. Keyless functionality still does not work on that remote, so I assume it does need some sort of pairing still. (Keyless entry works fine on other remote, so I will likely just hang on to this one as a backup).
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Main problem after that is that the circuit board in the key fob is broken. Now that is a whole different story. It is a common failure. To replace that you need to purchase a new key fob w/circuit board, install the blade and then go to a dealer and have it reprogrammed. Sorry for your trouble. My key fob stopped working 2 years ago and that is what the problem is. I just use the key to lock/unlock the car. I'll get around to replacing and reprogramming the whole thing eventually....maybe.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Um, pretty much what DBJoe said. If you just swapped in a new battery and the remote no longer functions, then the remote must have failed during the battery swap. Does the light on the key still work?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I got the CR2032 from the local NAPA, popped it in, and.... nothing. So I opened the key case back up, wiggled the battery a bit, snapped the case together, and "presto"...worked like magic.

Quick Reply: key fob (keyless entry) battery replacement