Sponsored by:

Key fob remote signal not being recognized

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Key fob remote signal not being recognized

Last week my car stopped recognizing the signal from my key. When I press either remote button on the key, the red light on the key flashes but the red light on the dashboard by the windshield doesn't flash.

In the past when this has happened, I've been able to fix the problem by using the reset procedure discussed in the archives of putting the key in the door and then turning the key while pressing the door lock/unlock remote button on the key (which causes the red light on the dashboard by the windshield to flash as well).

Now the reset procedure isn't working. The red light on the dashboard by the windshield doesn't flash when I'm turning the key while pressing the door lock/unlock remote button. I've replaced the key fob battery but the problem persists.

Any ideas for a fix?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

New key, $400 from dealer..Sorry
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I had exactly the same problem earlier this year. Took it to the dealer for troubleshooting. C4CRNA is correct. You need new keys. The circuit board in the key apparently fails after a period of time (in my case 10 years).
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Even though the LED blinks the key head has probably failed. You can get one (or two) from Sunset Porsche for less then $100 ea. Then you will have to take it to a dealer to have it (them) programmed, ~$125. If you get one from E-bay or a non-dealer source make sure that it has the code attached or it cannot be programmed. If you lose the blade it will cost ~$200+ to get one cut.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

yikes.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could of sworn I already replied to this problem. Anyway here is something else I have found. One of my keys did not seem to operate properly. I was being a little heavy handed keeping my thumb pressed on the button. Now I find if I do a quick tap of the key button the system works flawlessly. If I press for any type of extended period of time like over a second I'll end up doing something like looking at the keys diode light flash wondering why things aren't working. Now I just do a quick jab of the button and get a funny feeling about the last 2 weeks of remorsing about the litle keys function. Try a quick jab at the button. My always good key doesn't care how long I press the button and will open and lock the car being heavy handed.

Then there is as I could of sworn I mentioned previously. Capacitors are normally the culprit due to they dry out. I'm lucky to be a ham radio operator so working on components wouldn't scare me lke dealing with swapping out the surface mount capacitors which could be a quick painless solution.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Your Key is Dead, i am in the same Situation... My Service Advisor told me this Thursday that my Key is Dead and will need a new Key Head... You just need a new Key Head... Make sure when you do get a New or a Used Key Head, it comes with the Programing Code that looks like a Bar Code, without this you wont be able to have it Programed via the Dealer...

Its not $400 as some people here say, they just talk have no idea what they are talking about (As Usual)...

New Key Head is $125 from Suncoast http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...y_Code=996keys I think the Retail at your local dealer should be about $150... Programing should be about $50-60... You just have to Swap the Key Blade to the new one, and your good to go for about $200... Good luck
Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Zookie, the $400 +/- price is if someone has lost their key or only had one key and they want to buy a spare key. Then they have the expense you mentioned above PLUS the added expense of getting a blank key blade and have the key blade cut to match the car.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Local dealer here charges over $200 for a key head, about $22 for a key blade, and additional to cut/synch to the car, just had this done recently...

When you press the button, does the light on the key head blink slower than normal? That is an indication of the remote going out of synch w/the car, and this cannot be remedied without the programming ID card of the key. If you buy a new key, try to save this in case you need programming again.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
smak
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Pac996,

Would you mind sharing what is the location of the capacitors that you've replaced?
I am trying to do some fixing before buying a new key.

thx,
smak
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smak
To Pac996,

Would you mind sharing what is the location of the capacitors that you've replaced?
I am trying to do some fixing before buying a new key.

thx,
smak
I haven't replaced any capacitors. My intenet seaching for a schematic was fruitless. I'll keep looking once in a while and hopefully find the schematic some day. Currently I am able to operate the fob by using a quick tap of the button instead of a steady depression of the button. If your led light does still light like my faulty fob does then try doing the quickest tap of the button to get a flash of the led to happen. This is the current way my bad fob will operate. The system does require the key to be right next to the door. I am uncertain of where the receivers antenna is for this system.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
smak
5th Gear

I have no luck with the schematic neither. I will try the " quick tap " method. If it doesn't work, I probably will try to resolder the 2 battery Pin through hole connection. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone found a schematic or had success with swapping any components on a FOB to bring it back to life? (besides the micro switches)
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
rixracer
1st Gear

Any ideas for a fix?

If you can get in, try putting the key in the ignition,(don't turn the key) then press the key button on the fob
Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It would be nice if someone found method to read the unique key ID from the chip on the Fob thus allowing for a reprogram via PIWIS.

Quick Reply: Key fob remote signal not being recognized