Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Subscribing!!!

If I end up with the C4S instead of a turbo, I guess the Flat6 IMS solution should be my next investment (esp. since it's right up the road from me in north GA).

Wait list and price is the only negatives though..
Old 08-24-2017, 04:04 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

anyone?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:25 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Subscribing!!!

If I end up with the C4S instead of a turbo, I guess the Flat6 IMS solution should be my next investment (esp. since it's right up the road from me in north GA).

Wait list and price is the only negatives though..
When I was pondering the question of whether to do the IMS Solution or another type of IMS retrofit (My car already had a LN "classic dual row" retrofit in it - but I wasn't sure of the milage - my thought was around 30k give or take 5-10k) I couldn't get the thought of having to do it again at some point down the road out of my head. I figured the extra $1000.00 (for the Solution compared to another product) or thereabout was a reasonable up front cost to put the IMSB issue to bed. None of the alternatives (including the EPS roller bearing - despite their claims) do that, so I went with the "Solution". My gut says that EPS won't come up with any sort of data to back up their claims...
Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From my point of view I could care less what is patented or not. Does it work? How many are out there? None have failed?

that's what I care about. Don't give a sh%× about some numbers. I'm sure inventors are proud all their work gets them that patent, absolutely! But many customers just simply don't care and just want a proven product.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:05 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
From my point of view I could care less what is patented or not. Does it work? How many are out there? None have failed?
that's what I care about. Don't give a sh%× about some numbers. I'm sure inventors are proud all their work gets them that patent, absolutely! But many customers just simply don't care and just want a proven product.
A patent is not just "some numbers"... It represents an awful lot of R&D and a novel approach to solving a problem. What it says in this case is that FSI/LNE did the work and adapted a plain bearing approach, and the installation technique needed to install it in the M96 engine. I think what EPS did was take an "off the shelf" roller bearing with the proper dimensions and swap it with the original IMSB. I'm also not impressed by their use of unfiltered oil to feed the bearing. This approach clearly "works", but so did the stock bearing for some time. Time will tell whether it's really "eternal" or not - and for anyone that's installed it I hope it is - for my $ I just don't believe the hype.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I've no skin in game, but arguing about something that is in a post a couple of lines down, well, this might help...or not .
https://www.europeanpartssolution.co...raded-bearing/

http://www.google.com/patents/US9004766
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dporto
A patent is not just "some numbers"... It represents an awful lot of R&D and a novel approach to solving a problem.
I completely understand that and am only speaking from my point of view, it is my opinion and I believe many shoppers think the same. many.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Since when is the ims bearing at the bottom of the oil pan?
Since always. It's submerged in oil as the M96 engine is a wet sump engine.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

This isn't going to turn into an oil thread...right?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Since always. It's submerged in oil as the M96 engine is a wet sump engine.
...and I would think it is completely submerged, not 1/3 as was implied in the thread???
Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy

You don't care about numbers? Proof is part of being proven, right?
How about these?

I'm all for choices and unicorns and rainbows, but false advertising is illegal and no one wants the facts or the truth.

We publish generally accepted ratings for all the popular bearings and let people make their own educated choice.

Vertex can't even get their advertising straight. One place it's a 2 year warranty and 12 times stronger:

or 5 year warranty and 5 times stronger:

So which one is it? Making claims without substantiation is fraud.

http://www.copypress.com/blog/false-...and-report-it/
Old 08-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
When I was pondering the question of whether to do the IMS Solution or another type of IMS retrofit (My car already had a LN "classic dual row" retrofit in it - but I wasn't sure of the milage - my thought was around 30k give or take 5-10k) I couldn't get the thought of having to do it again at some point down the road out of my head. I figured the extra $1000.00 (for the Solution compared to another product) or thereabout was a reasonable up front cost to put the IMSB issue to bed. None of the alternatives (including the EPS roller bearing - despite their claims) do that, so I went with the "Solution". My gut says that EPS won't come up with any sort of data to back up their claims...
Here are some hard numbers that are factual:

A deep groove ball bearing as currently used in the IMS Retrofit can take up to 50% of the dynamic load in thrust.

A traditional cylindrical roller bearing with thrust control can only take up to 10% of the dynamic load in thrust.

The 6204 bearing used in the Classic Single Row LN Engineering IMS Retrofit has a dynamic load capacity of 2900# with thrust max load rating of 1450#

The NJ or NU204 cylindrical bearing has a dynamic load capacity of 3750# with thrust max load rating of 375#

The custom Single Row Pro (dual row angular contact) ceramic hybrid bearing has a dynamic load capacity of 4000# w/ Thrust or 2000#.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Let me be clear - I don't care for patent numbers. I have never looked for patent numbers while shopping for car parts. Never.

I do care about the data to back up a product. Hence why I went with LNE components in my rebuild.

Last edited by AWDGuy; 08-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Guys, I just see that its good that different companies are offering fixes for the problems on these engines.

If I want to complain about any manufacturer; its porsche itself. It did not do adequate testing or build enough safety margins into its designs when it moved to water cooling.

I'm just happy there are options from aftermarket vendors.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Since I'm new to researching this. If a vehicle is taken into a Porsche dealership, what fix do they use or recommend? Is there a standard fix that Porsche uses?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?