Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:38 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Since I'm new to researching this. If a vehicle is taken into a Porsche dealership, what fix do they use or recommend? Is there a standard fix that Porsche uses?
It depends on the dealership. Some won't touch the IMS bearing, some will insist on changing out the entire bearing/shaft assembly, some will insist on a replacement engine, while others will use aftermarket products... in other words, there is no "standard practice" from one dealer to another. Good luck with your research. 😉
Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
It depends on the dealership. Some won't touch the IMS bearing, some will insist on changing out the entire bearing/shaft assembly, some will insist on a replacement engine, while others will use aftermarket products... in other words, there is no "standard practice" from one dealer to another. Good luck with your research. 😉
Interesting... boy, Porsche sure pulled one over on the public for almost a decade, huh.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:51 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Maybe only tangentially related but one of the other posters asked about what Porsche puts in a replacement engine, and I am also curious.

When I was exploring engine M96 engine replacement options I called a nearby dealer and they told me that no complete engine was available for my VIN, but they could get me a long block (~$6000). Would a new long block have the latest (not externally serviceable) bearing design in it?

(I have the LN IMS Retrofit, FWIW, but like others am just happy we have options)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:35 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe if you have a short block or long block from Porsche now, it will have the non-serviceable ims.

My 02 had a new short block from dealership installed in Aug 2016 and it has the non-serviceable IMS (the one they used in 2006-2008 997).
Old 08-24-2017, 02:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by rogazilla
I believe if you have a short block or long block from Porsche now, it will have the non-serviceable ims.

My 02 had a new short block from dealership installed in Aug 2016 and it has the non-serviceable IMS (the one they used in 2006-2008 997).
^^This is correct^^. I believe that while there have been reported failures of this IMS bearing, the #'s are very low...
Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Interesting... boy, Porsche sure pulled one over on the public for almost a decade, huh.
Maybe my view is wrong, but anytime you deviate from the long tested Mezger design you enter into a world of relatively frequent rebuilds & high uncertainty over durability (ex. Cayenne, Panamera, m96, m97, 991 GT3s, etc).
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed - unless you pay for an M96 with all the issues addressed. And that takes you close to Mezger pricing
Old 08-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Since always. It's submerged in oil as the M96 engine is a wet sump engine.
Considering I've had my sump plate off several times over the past few months, I really beg to differ, unless we have very different definitions of what an oil pan is and what "bottom" is.

The sump plate is on the bottom of the oil pan. The IMS bearing is not there. Hence the IMS is not at the bottom of the oil pan.

Submerged in oil it may be, but that is not the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Quad - you re correct.The IMS tube and bearing are in the crankcase halves.Albeit near the lower end.The sump plate is beneath that. But you know that because when you removed your sump plate many times(like me) you saw no IMS :-)
A picture(s) is worth... And at least one photo is from LN to prove your point.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...rsche-M96.aspx
Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I completely understand that and am only speaking from my point of view, it is my opinion and I believe many shoppers think the same. many.
I agree. I don't really give a flip whether it's patented or not. That means NOTHING about product quality and comparison to other products.

Frankly, the fact that ANY vendor selling one of these products comes in this thread to bash another vendor and spout off about their "superior" product makes me ill. I don't care if your name is Jake Ruby or whatever.

Unless you can do a randomized double blind clinically controlled trial to compare products, no manufacturer can claim to be superior. All this evidence is anecdotal.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Anecdotal ? agreed, so we just choose the best anecdotal info available to us. What better alternative selection criteria do we have ? Pragmatism is useful here?
We all understand the basis of the LN claims.They have been explained many,many times here.
The Patent process - It is not a product garuantee.But it may indicate a degree of diligence and skin-in-the-game that is absent from a merely generic offering that falsely claims a Patent.
We need alternative products for the M96. But not ones promoted with false claims and silly pseudo-engineering commentary.The EPS product may be fine and if so - the cheaper EBay alternative is just as good - for way less !
Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
Unless you can do a randomized double blind clinically controlled trial to compare products, no manufacturer can claim to be superior. All this evidence is anecdotal.

FYI that Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald. Jake Raby builds engines.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:04 PM
numbah9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
FYI that Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald. Jake Raby builds engines.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I was off base with my last two posts in this thread.

In my defense, the reason why I made those posts was because in other scenarios where the same questions were asked, the US Patent filing numbers were never provided. The components that I have on my desk right now also do not have any mention of these Patents on their boxes, or on the parts themselves.

I also now understand why these never showed up in formal Patent searches, as the claims are broad spectrum, and not specifically novel to that of this particular application.

At any rate, no matter what the reason, I was off base, and I remain corrected.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:09 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe we should start a thread titled...

"who has a EPS Eternal IMSB installed in there 996"

The purpose of this thread would be to start collecting info. so we can track real world info. which is what many in this thread seem to think is suspect. Can't evaluate the data if our don't have the data. EPS claims over 5000 sold so maybe we can get a good number of people to provide data.

Can ask questions such as:

...of course the standard stuff, year, C2/C4, etc.

...mileage when installed

...professionally installed or self installed

...if professionally, where

...oil used (careful with this one)

... etc., etc.

I have the EPS Eternal install and would be happy to start the thread. Some help letting me know what info to ask for would be appreciated.

Good idea or not? Let me know.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have information on the EPS roller bearing IMS Solution?