Sponsored by:

Second Gear "Lurch"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Throttle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Gear "Lurch"

My '02 Tip with 32K miles recently developed a slight "lurch" ONLY in second gear. Took it to EuroSpec Motoring for 30K service amd they confirmed there are no diagnostic errors but they do feel it during test drive, even after service (which included tranny fluid change). They are continuing to evaluate it.

To be clear, it is not popping out of gear, nor does it seem to be slipping (the tach does not show an increase in RPM when it happens).

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks, Eddie
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Bad motor mounts?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

At what RPM?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Throttle
Advanced

Not the motor mounts, they tried that. It happens at any RPM and only in second gear. It's like a hard shift (happens regardless of up or down shift and is most but not all the time). They completed the 30k mile service, reset the thing that controls the adaptive aspect of the tranny and suggested I drive in manual for a bit to see if it spontaneously resolves (it spontaneously arose so why not). But their feeling is it is likely something internal any may eventually involve opening up the tyranny.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

On the old engines if that happened I would be looking at the air/petrol mixture. They would refer to it as a (black spot) when it jibbed before taking off full throttle. A slight twist of the carb body would advance the timing slightly and usually solve the problem. However Porsche have a method that adjust itself to solve that problem I believe, but not sure for certain. For it only to be happening in second gear and no other kind of rules out that idea. I would keep looking into the problem from all sources before they tear that tranny apart. BTW I don't know jack **** about the tiptronic cars. Never had one. If they cannot put their finger right on the problem as they should be able to do, then they will eff about to find it and it will cost you an arm and a leg and they may never find it. Might be worth asking other mechanics what they think. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 AM
spender
Pro

Can you describe exactly what you mean by lurch? Is it if you start out in second gear at the lights, for example, that it happens right as you hit the gas?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Throttle
Advanced

It's probably better described as a hard second gear shift. Happens if I start in 1st or 2nd, in automatic or tip, and up shift or down shift. I traditionally always drive in tip and almost always use second gear starts. However, based on EuroSpec's feedback, I'm going to drive in automatic for a while and see if it changes at all.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Pull the neg pole of the battery for a couple of minutes to erase any adaptive programming and see if it stays/returns.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Throttle
Advanced

So I got the car back after the 30K service and it was improved but still noticeable which the pro's at Euro Spec also noted. They suggested I drive the car in automatic for a couple of days. I drove it this way for a day and then the car sat for 10 days while I was on vacation. Came back and the car shifts perfectly. I mean perfectly. Very odd but I'll take it.

Quick Reply: Second Gear "Lurch"