Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Carrera Rear Badge Removal Fail. Damaged Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 PM
dwebb944t
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91

I tried using the Griots #3 polish (which is fairly mild) and the Griot's Orange Pad on the "smudge" area, but it didn't help. I'm pretty sure I'm through the clearcoat. But I'll try again. I even have the super-soft Griot's red pad that I can try.

A respray isn't in the cards right now. Low-budget mods were the reason I even went down this road. (This was supposed to be free! ) I'm going to have to live with it for a while. Maybe a clearcoat respray later.
I feel bad for you, but all is not lost. If there is still color remaining it may be worth buying a can of good clear lacquer and spraying yourself just the small area. You will have to mask off and then wet sand to blend and polish but for less than ten dollars and your time it will look way better than it does now and at least not worse. If it still isn't good enough down the road you can have a pro repair done but it will look better in the mean time.

And forget the advice of a "Porsche Repair Shop", any good body shop can make these repairs. for that matter I have seen mobile guys repair this stuff really well. body and paint work is about technique and patience, it's not rocket science. Yes there is a certain "art" to it, and I use that word loosely, but for the most part it's a $15/hour type job.

before anyone flames me, we aren't talking about a custom Foose paint job here, just a simple repair.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dwebb944t
I feel bad for you, but all is not lost. If there is still color remaining it may be worth buying a can of good clear lacquer and spraying yourself just the small area. You will have to mask off and then wet sand to blend and polish but for less than ten dollars and your time it will look way better than it does now and at least not worse. If it still isn't good enough down the road you can have a pro repair done but it will look better in the mean time. ...
Hmmm... I might consider giving that a try. If I'm doing a clear respray anyway, this might bridge the gap. I might just leave it alone for while too. It is difficult to see (except for me, I see it all the time). It's little reminder of my own falability. (and stupidity) Maybe adding a shiny "911" badge will distract me.

Or I could cover the entire deck lid in text. That would hide it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Hi Scott,

I saw your PM but couldn't figure out how to attach a photo so here's my reply:

I bought the 991 versions of the Porsche logo and 911 logo from Suncoast Porsche. I think the "911" cost more than the "Porsche" - go figure. The 991 versions are smaller than the others (Panamera and Cayenne)

I was trying to emulate the back of a 911 Club Coupe. Google it. The Porsche letters don't come properly spaced. What I did was print out a picture of the Club Coupe and measure the width of the letters and the width of the spaces in between to come up with a ratio. Then I measured my letters and did an interpolation, so I knew how far to space the letters. I also used the photo to figure out where on the lid they should go. It won't be exactly the same because the lids are different, but it helps. I used masking tape on the car to set up the boundaries.

I got a straight piece of molding and taped it to a table with masking tape. Using that straight edge as the upper edge of the letters, I spaced them out according to my calculations. Then I got one long piece of masking tape and put it over all of the letters to preserve the positioning and spacing. ( All of this is easier than it sounds, but you need to take your time)

I removed the adhesive backing from all of the letters and then carefully pressed them in place, as one unit. I'm very happy with the results.

In the photograph, it looks like there is a slight arch to the letters, but that's just the angle.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Ever Thought About Just Putting It Back On, & That Would Cover Up The Bad Spot Wouldn't It! jmo!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Nhurley81
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
My carrera 4 logo was put on off center - really annoyed me. I tried to remove with floss and cleaner, but ended up removing some of the paint. I put the logo back on for a while and then had the deck repainted. Looks great now.
How much did it cost to respray the lid?? If you don't mind me asking...?

Quick Reply: Carrera Rear Badge Removal Fail. Damaged Paint!