M96 IMSB Failure Rate Surpasses 8%

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default M96 IMSB Failure Rate Surpasses 8%

For those that are even keeping up with it:

The IMSB failure rate has passed the 8% milestone, held steady, and is creeping closer to the 9% mark.

Everyone who has not considered replacement should at least consider that the potential for failure is certainly there. Its just too cheap of a fix to ignore it and do nothing, IMHO of course.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Still, one of the most unscientific polls on the planet.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nonono, the rate of those that REPORTED on this poll is exceeding 8%. The response rate has nothing to do with the actual user rate in the wild. Jake/LN say they have sold, what, close to 7000 bearings to date? (I think this is correct but please correct it if not). Presumably those engines were all good at the time and still are. So there are close to 7000 people out there that have not responded yet along with everyone else who either did something else bearing-wise, did nothing and have had no issues, along with a relatively small number that did have the big bang. Many of these three groups have never heard of Rennlist or don't bother with it. The poll is a biased sample and not valid from a statistical perspective relative to the number of cars in operation.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 809 Posts

There is zero statistical reliability to that survey. There were well over 250k M96-equipped cars built by Porsche, 8% of less than 1% is meaningless.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Also, there were only 230 replies (19 failures). I would guess there are way more than 230 current 996 owners on Rennlist (anyone know the actual number? I would guess in 1,000s) who didn't bother to reply that their cars are great.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc, can we delete this thread? It's just baiting. (I bit). I know you did not want to do the poll to begin with, but it's there now, no point in having threads about it that don't take into account any kind of statistical theory whatsoever.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

No one holds the failure data to calculate these statistics accurately. The private sector does not have Porsches figures and Porsche does not have the private sector figures.

In my classes this question is my biggest pet peeve, I won't even attempt to address it.

Intermix failures far surpassed the IMSB in terms of landing vehicles at our facility over the past 3 years. So many cars being retrofitted is definitely contributing to this as the figures far surpass 7,000 today.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
There is zero statistical reliability to that survey. There were well over 250k M96-equipped cars built by Porsche, 8% of less than 1% is meaningless.
This.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:41 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just say no.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Intermix failures ... Jake what % are 3.4l versus 3.6l. On the 3.6 is there anything you can do as preventative ?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
brunino
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record - I got mine done on my 1999 996 - for the record - it's over and done with for now.

Best part is that - I got to visit the best porsche workshop -
got to talk to my mechanic .( which I love doing)
Got to see tons of Porsches getting worked on - which for me is better than ****.
Um - and don't forget the fact that they are amazing machines - and if you wanted a stress free car - then you should have bought a new Toyota -
Btw - this is going out to all the people that are about to start crapping on about IMS issues - for everyone else - I am sorry for crapping on about nothing :P
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I just replied to an IMS post, but currently suffering from a "potential intermix" situation, so the % probability shed s a new light onto what I thought was a "manageable" situation. I wonder what the "stats" are for intermix. Tomorrow the car goes into the dealer for a complete coolant flush, pressure/vacuum test, and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gus B.
I wonder what the "stats" are for intermix. Tomorrow the car goes into the dealer for a complete coolant flush, pressure/vacuum test, and see what happens.
I don't give a single damn about statistics.. All I know is we now have Porsches at our facility from 27 states, shipped 4 home last week and are scheduled to receive 3 more this week to take their place. The phone blows up all day and I had to add another line just so people didn't receive a busy signal.

Other than a few preventive procedures everything that we deal with is dead on arrival. Intermix from cracked heads, cracked cylinders and the like has us buried.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Situation: owned the car since March 18, 2013. Have had 3 instances where white puff of smoke came out the mufflers, but could only confirm that two of those times the smoke came strictly from the passenger side muffler tip. No relationship as to how I drove the car previously to parking it or how many days it sat without being use, but the common thread denominator is that it was only on the initial startup of the day. Local stealer admitted to overfilling oil on the second day I owned the car. The puff of white smoke gets dramatically less in size each time, where the last one is about the size of a shoebox. In the last week, not one puff of smoke.

Following a couple of pictures of what the coolant looks like. No oil residue on cap, nor on top of the reservoir. Water in expansion tank not thick at all. Local coolant used is pink in color (Porsche branded), but does not mean that the PO used a different shop to do a flush. Tomorrow, the car goes into the local stealer for a coolant flush and vacuum test to determine if in fact there is a leak somewhere.

I too usually don't give a damn about statistics (easily manipulated unless all known factors are expressed), but when you are sitting on a $30K toy with a $20K potential problem, I do start giving a damn.

Last edited by Gus B.; 02-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

but when you are sitting on a $30K toy with a $20K potential problem, I do start giving a damn.
But it could be worse... You could have a 13-15K toy that requires a 20K engine. Thats the boat that about 5 of my clients are in right now, but all 5 of them are going to keep the car forever, so they are moving forward. It happens more than you'd ever imagine.

That does look like very early intermix. Lets don't hijack his thread any more, though :-)

Quick Reply: M96 IMSB Failure Rate Surpasses 8%