Sponsored by:

Blackstone Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Jake, I've never seen a single UOA posted of DT40 with a zinc of 1,200. Best I've seen is about 1,090.
The lab doing the test, means everything.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Mario1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Mario, I don't know what the numbers mean, and if it means anything....I've heard your engine and it sounds pretty healthy to me.
I can't tell there's anything wrong by the sound or oil consumption. I just wish I knew where this metal and black derby found in the oil filter is coming from? And why high levels of aluminum and iron in oil test
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Mario1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The lab doing the test, means everything.
I've just bought XP9 form your place/ friends and I will get a free oil test. Thanks for that but I wish I could send them this oil sample now so we can get to the bottom of this, but I was not able to find that service on the RND site. I just want to know what's wrong with my engine.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

And why high levels of aluminum and iron in oil test
The leading cause of this, no matter the oil thats used, has been aeration.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Mario1
Intermediate

The leading cause of this, no matter the oil thats used, has been aeration.
So the problem is in the AOS or new deep sump?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mario1
So the problem is in the AOS or new deep sump?
Neither, BUT the AOS could be working over time to contend with the root of the aeration issue.

Maybe someone will figure it out. Lots of smart guys here!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mario1
I can't tell there's anything wrong by the sound or oil consumption. I just wish I knew where this metal and black derby found in the oil filter is coming from? And why high levels of aluminum and iron in oil test
the black material could be coming from timing/IMS chain pads
Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok sorry I thought you were burning oil

Dt40 has no place on the track that's for sure - from others who have shared UOA with me and who have changed to a better oil suited for track their metals have really dropped

Even in really tight motors dt40 has shown horrible UOA after track use

You can try amsoil 10w40 AMO premium. Great stuff - give it a shot and do another UOA
Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Mario1
Intermediate

Neither, BUT the AOS could be working over time to contend with the root of the aeration issue.

Maybe someone will figure it out. Lots of smart guys here!
That problem existed when I bought the car 2 months ago. We found the same Debry in the oil filter and the aluminum and iron was high back then too.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tbred911

Dt40 has no place on the track that's for sure - from others who have shared UOA with me and who have changed to a better oil suited for track their metals have really dropped

You can try amsoil 10w40 AMO premium. Great stuff - give it a shot and do another UOA
We never developed DT40 for the track. Its a long life street oil with a superior additive package.

"Really Tight" engines are the WORST on the track, tight running clearances shear oil faster than anything. We don't build "tight engines" for the track.

The XP series of oils are what should be used on the track, and its been that way since the very beginning of the Driven/ Flat 6/ LN collaborative relationship.

That said, even when I have a customer screw up, (or not listen) and take one of my engines to the track on DT40, the results don't look anything like that Mario1 posted.

I see several issues with that oil, and I see the same things when oil is aerated, and film strength is compromised due to this. Aerated oil offers little to no boundary layer protection, which is what cams, lifters, timing chains/ sprockets and cylinders/ pistons need most to resist wear.

Mario1, send the UOA results to me, with a summary and Lake Speed and I will try to work on it together. Email to jake@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Mario1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tbred911

Thanks. That XP9 is hard to get here in Canada. I'll look up the amsoil to see if I have more luck
Old 07-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Mario1
Intermediate

We never developed DT40 for the track. Its a long life street oil with a superior additive package.

"Really Tight" engines are the WORST on the track, tight running clearances shear oil faster than anything. We don't build "tight engines" for the track.

The XP series of oils are what should be used on the track, and its been that way since the very beginning of the Driven/ Flat 6/ LN collaborative relationship.

That said, even when I have a customer screw up, (or not listen) and take one of my engines to the track on DT40, the results don't look anything like that Mario1 posted.

I see several issues with that oil, and I see the same things when oil is aerated, and film strength is compromised due to this. Aerated oil offers little to no boundary layer protection, which is what cams, lifters, timing chains/ sprockets and cylinders/ pistons need most to resist wear.

Mario1, send the UOA results to me, with a summary and Lake Speed and I will try to work on it together. Email to jake@rabyenginedevelopment.com
Thanks Jake, I will send it this afternoon. I have to take care of a promise I made to my son right now. Lol
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That wasn't my definition of tight engine - I should have said engines that don't burn oil and are broken in - that is what I meant

Curious to see what the diagnosis is here given deep sump pan and airatiion are the issues...
Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

What else could cause aeration? Mario do you have any other bolt ons like an accusump, direct oil feed IMS or anything like that?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:24 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slakker
What else could cause aeration? Mario do you have any other bolt ons like an accusump, direct oil feed IMS or anything like that?
My somewhat educated guess is thermal degradation of the oil. This is the primary cause of aeration - and is leading to a majority of the out of whack levels in the UOA. Run a different oil that can take the heat, or better yet control oil temps and you'll solve the root cause.

Am I close?

Quick Reply: Blackstone Oil Analysis