Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing Replacement DIY by Pelican Parts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default IMS Bearing Replacement DIY by Pelican Parts!

The M96/M97 Carrera engine has had a checkered past when it comes to reliability. One of the weaknesses identified in recent years by Porsche has been the intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing), which supports the intermediate shaft on the flywheel end of the motor.

Porsche designed these motors using a sealed ball bearing that is pressed into the intermediate shaft. These types of bearings are typically used in devices like copy machines and other machinery used in dry conditions. In theory, the area where Porsche designed the bearing to sit is supposed to be dry. However, after years of use within the engine, it would appear that oil and contaminants from the engine seep past the bearing seal, wash out the original lubricant, and become trapped inside. The result is that the bearing now operates in a less-than-ideal environment and begins to wear prematurely and may eventually cause significant damage to the engine.

We have spent numerous hours to provide you with the most detailed step-by-step DIY with clear pictures of each step. If you are considering this project, check out the article and let us know what questions you have along the way.

Go for it!
Click here-> IMS Bearing Replacement DIY

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The M96/M97 Carrera engine has had a checkered past when it comes to reliability.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wayne, thanks for posting this. Gonzo seems really happy about it too.

I used many of your parts for the IMSB (and other "while your in there parts") I'm doing myself right now. I reviewed many of your tips and articles and found them to contain great info. Thanks for being a site sponsor.

My only question is who makes the "improved" heavy duty bearing retaining stud/bolt that you use in the Pelican kit? I had to buy your whole kit just to get the HD bolt instead of re-using the OEM one.

Would you consider selling a basic single row kit with:
HD retaining bolt/with nut/o-ring/crush collar
updated flange seal
snap ring
new flange bolts

and let the buyer source his own bearing, any of the fine ceramic hybrids out there? You could even add your own sourced seal-less ceramic bearing to the above and have a really nice basic kit for the single row cars.

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Of course Jake and Charles are now declining to sell their replacements to the DIY market. I have great respect for both of them for the work they have done on these engines, the knowledge they have developed and the products they make. However this decision was very disappointing to me.

I compliment Pelican for the detailed information and DIY instructions for the IMS bearing replacement they provide which appear to be much better than LNE and Flat6 provided.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The question for Pelican is -will you continue to sell the LNE bearing ?I believe it is still in your catalog .
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend adding the tip to place one finger on the bearing when trying to seat the Spiroloc clip. That would help prevent the clip falling into the case on a missed attempt. Also clarify the orientation (sounds silly, but might as well add to improve) of the K: Short center bolt spacer/L: Long center bolt spacer (for engine with single-row bearing) on Fig 19.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course Jake and Charles are now declining to sell their replacements to the DIY market.
Doug, I agree but thanks to all the info about the kits out there, anyone can source most of the parts (including bearings) themselves now.

+1 on using a finger to prevent Spiroloc or snap ring from falling in case. Bentley video shows this.

Also, I did not use the "set screw" method. Seemed too risky to me compared to fully locking both cam sets and crank. Impossible for engine timing to move with engine fully locked at TDC and makes it easier to verify timing afterwards.

Not sure why Wayne promotes the "set screw" method, especially if you have the cam locking hardware anyway as shown in pics. Either way, great info and I would recommend someone thoroughly read Pelicans, LNE's, JR's and watch Bentley's before doing an IMSB replacement.

The job is actually very easy if you take your time. There's really no excuse not to do this with all the options and help out there now. It's no harder than a plug change, just takes longer.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

Not sure why Wayne promotes the "set screw" method, especially if you have the cam locking hardware anyway as shown in pics.
I agree. With the saved cash on doing the IMS swap, get the right tools!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
win
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for my possible newbie question ...

so the pelicanparts is a different ims bearing or it is just different installing tool from the Flat 6 IMS retrofit ?

thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Wayne, thanks for posting this. Gonzo seems really happy about it too.

I used many of your parts for the IMSB (and other "while your in there parts") I'm doing myself right now. I reviewed many of your tips and articles and found them to contain great info. Thanks for being a site sponsor.

My only question is who makes the "improved" heavy duty bearing retaining stud/bolt that you use in the Pelican kit? I had to buy your whole kit just to get the HD bolt instead of re-using the OEM one.

Would you consider selling a basic single row kit with:
HD retaining bolt/with nut/o-ring/crush collar
updated flange seal
snap ring
new flange bolts

and let the buyer source his own bearing, any of the fine ceramic hybrids out there? You could even add your own sourced seal-less ceramic bearing to the above and have a really nice basic kit for the single row cars.
Selling a kit without the bearing would be an excellent idea. This should remove pretty much all liability as the bearing is the biggest potential falire point.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to post this on your thread, but there is another IMSB "solution out there now as well as the LN/Raby and Casper bearing. Pedros garage has come out with their own "solution". It's a forced oil lubricated ceramic bearing.

Unlike Raby's solution which which uses an adapter that connects to the oil filter, Pedro uses an unused oil pressure gallery to source the oil from. Then he lubricates a ceramic bearing with it, instead of LN/Raby's plain bearing.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/T...d,_part_2.html

And if it's any consolation Wayne, I buy all my BMW and Porsche parts from you guys.

What a choice these days.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Oh, yeah, Pedros system is made for dual row, single row and the later 997 single row through 2008.

What's interesting is the 997 single row solution reuses the existing bearing , and adds a pressure lubricated cover, so the case does not have to be split. By adding pressure lubrication to the existing single row bearing, the hope is added life.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The plain bearing is the best solution. I am not sure that a lubricated bearing is better than the sealed one. Ceramic acts differently in the presence of oil vs grease. The film needs enough strength to coat the ***** and prevent spalling of the race.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Cefalu
Racer

I agree about the plain bearing. LN's plain bearing with Pedro's oil source would be the best combo.

I don't like the oil filter adapter oil supply of LN. I would prefer to keep the oil filter stock like Pedro's system.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I agree about the plain bearing. LN's plain bearing with Pedro's oil source would be the best combo.
Incorrect.
Several years ago while developing the IMS Solution we robbed oil from that location. The oil is not "just filtered" and is less than 12 average PSI less at all RPM points than the SPOFA location which has the same oil pressure as what the main bearings see.

Robbing oil from that location was just that, and it posed several challenges, including lazy lifters and tensioners on that bank of the engine, which is already at the end of the primary oil system.

There is a reason why it has taken Charles and I years to develop the IMS Solution. The easiest place to get the oil supply was not the best. The only failure that we experienced with the IMS Solution in testing was when oil was being taken from "that" location. If we could have taken oil effectively from that location the cost of our kit would have been greatly reduced, but it didn't make the grade.

There's also a reason why the very first product that Charles and I released was the spin on oil filter adaptor, it was a by product of the IMS Solution development that was already in testing as we had already learned what others still haven't. If they pay close enough attention and have a proper means of gathering data, they will over time.

Remember, the reason why the factory used a sealed ball bearing and did not retain the Mezger design with an oil fed plain bearing (like the IMS Solution) is because there was no high volume, high pressure oil in the region of the IMSB with the M96 design as the crankshaft was oiled through its carrier assembly. Unlike the Mezger design the M96 had all its oil passages cast in to the block, and they were not drilled.

Opinions will vary, then there's data, experience and practical application. The view from the inside is a bit more clear. Eliminate the ball bearing= eliminate the problem.

BTW- Kudos to Wayne for supporting the DIY crowd, that takes much more patience and understanding than Charles and I have, and someone has to do it.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 04-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing Replacement DIY by Pelican Parts!