996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Bob:
I will look forward to your updates. It seems a bit too premature, for me, to contact S. Harris, Esq. etc., However, I will go digging and search for all my paperwork and get things in order......as this appears imminent............
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

The claim form is the second post but translation from pdf made it ugly. In any case it is too soon to file claims but as suggested above, time to get the evidence in order to support a claim.

Regards,
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I wonder if the VIN numbers listed are the only ones with the inferior smaller single row IMS.

I'm thinking more for us '01 owners that wonder whether ours is single or double row since that was around when they transitioned mid-year to the single row. Hmmm....

As others have said, unfortunately this doesn't cover preventative maintenance in the form of upgraded IMS that many have already done.

Subscribed either way to see how this plays out in the end and to get owners comments on their experiences with this whole process. I'm sure there will be good and bad ones.
My VIN is listed (2001) and my car has the dual row bearing. However since my IMS bearing did not fail and my car is past the 10 year in service date, I am excluded from this anyway, at least thats how I am reading it. My car now has the L&N dual row bearing.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche87
My VIN is listed (2001) and my car has the dual row bearing. However since my IMS bearing did not fail and my car is past the 10 year in service date, I am excluded from this anyway, at least thats how I am reading it. My car now has the L&N dual row bearing.
Thank you for that piece of data so I guess this would then technically apply to both dual and single row IMS equipped cars.

Yeah the 10 year rule and eligibility requirements does have me confused too. I wonder if we can get one of the lawyers involved to further clarify on this aspect?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

alpine, I provided a legal contact in post 3.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
tks12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
I should have bought an '01.

us too, but she loves the 2000 she got!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So my vin does not appear to be on there what does that mean?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

It means your IMSB is safe You have the LN bearing anway...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2004 VIN is not listed either - makes you wonder what was different regarding the IMSB in the VINs listed or not listed...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
alpine, I provided a legal contact in post 3.
This is the reason why I failed the legal bar and only frequent the public bar.

Another crazy theory in regard to the breakup in vin ranges, is it possible certain vin weren't included for IMS manufactured from certain origin(s) that never showed any failure? As we know IMS was manufactured in quite a few different regions. Only Porsche has the data for all the various IMS manufacturers they've used. It is unknown to the public whether different manufacturers used slightly different materials, manufacturing process, tolerance levels, etc. and thus produced different long term reliability.

Yes this does sound crazy and the vin numbers could just be how Porsche ordered their cars.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's really needed are the statistics on the failure itself. My 2003 will not be covered soon, if/when this lawsuit is finalized. Too bad for the 2002 and earlier owners. Interesting that it didn't go to court, and that PCNA agreed to it in the first place. Wonder if any other countries around the globe have done anything similar?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

My 40th AE vin doesn't appear on that list either!

I did swap out my IMSB with the LN so it's moot. But this is interesting. I wonder if any 40th AE cars are on that list.

We need another poll to see for the guys that had failed IMSBs which bearing they had (dual row vs single vs. country of origin!) Then again a lot of these motors were probably shipped in "whole" back to Porsche so no one opened the motors to see what bearing they had.

I had a single row from Poland!

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
So my vin does not appear to be on there what does that mean?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I was thinking about this last night, trying to wrap my head around all this, Then, I thought, APB.... where are the statisticians and extrapolaters. I am primarily interested in the 996 (this is a 996 forum, no offense to Boxster owners.) I am not a mathematician, (in fact I need to leave my zipper down to count to 10.5.....isn't that why I drive a 996....lol). Is there enough data (with the 'affected vin #'s) to make a best estimate as to the total number of cars affected?

[To those who said it (IMS) isn't an issue, "technically" they are right, as PCNA does not admit they anything. I on the other hand will greatly appreciate it if this non-problem actually puts some money in my pocket. I might have to frame the check, if and when I get it. Think about it, a check possibly from PCNA made payable to me. I say possibly, b/c the money, if and when it does appear, may be drawn on the law firm's client trust account, although I am not so sure why they would want to handle the books on this one...let PCNA do it and monitor the payout verses the funds made available.]

If the Court approves the settlement, while PCNA does not admit liability, they are consenting to end this lawsuit with the proposed settlement, rather than continue to fight an uphill battle and mounting legal fees. I would have to assume that this is a decision based on data from the bean counters.
TBC.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I saw this thread yesterday but had a meeting a couple of hours away from the office. I just pulled my VIN # and although it is 2001 996 the S/N is lower than the first ones listed on row 1. I suspect that when they changed bearing vendors or their bearing vendor made a change the problem cropped up.

I have worked for German and Swiss manufacturers for about 40 years. They were the ones who took ISO 9000 and beyond to heart. THey also lead the charge in GMP for medical devices. (Good Manufacturing Practices) In order to be compliant for ISO 9000 your GMP's have to be in place for traceability and failure factors. ISO 9000 basically says I am going to manufacture an engine using these steps: X,Y,Z. It also traces the supplier of bearings, pistons, and such. If a company were to lose their ISO 9000 and beyond status that would be a huge hit/loss and could shut down the plant expcially from the C/E mark perspective.

I am not a Six Sigma certified manager but I suspect the legal problems came about because of ISO 9000.
Six Sigma is a set of tools and strategies for process improvement originally developed by Motorola in 1985.[1][2] Six Sigma became well known after Jack Welch made it a central focus of his business strategy at General Electric in 1995,[3] and today it is used in different sectors of industry.[4]

.[5] It uses a set of quality management methods, including statistical methods, and creates a special infrastructure of people within the organization ("Champions", "Black Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processesBelts", "Green Belts", "Orange Belts", etc.) who are experts in these very complex methods.[5] Each Six Sigma project carried out within an organization follows a defined sequence of steps and has quantified financial targets (cost reduction and/or profit increase).[5]

The term Six Sigma originated from terminology associated with manufacturing, specifically terms associated with statistical modeling of manufacturing processes. The maturity of a manufacturing process can be described by a sigma rating indicating its yield or the percentage of defect-free products it creates. A six sigma process is one in which 99.99966% of the products manufactured are statistically expected to be free of defects (3.4 defects per million), although, as discussed below, this defect level corresponds to only a 4.5 sigma level. Motorola set a goal of "six sigma" for all of its manufacturing operations, and this goal became a byword for the management and engineering practices used to achieve it.
The upside of the VIN listed is that if your car is not listed you could make the argument that the factory has GMP's in place that have ID'd the bad bearings and so your non-affected 996/boxster should be worth more now. All of that will come out in the legal proceedings that will take a while to unfold.

The ISO 9000 family of standards is related to quality management systems and designed to help organizations ensure that they meet the needs of customers and other stakeholders[1] while meeting statutory and regulatory requirements related to the product. The standards are published by ISO, the International Organization for Standardization, and available through National standards bodies. ISO 9000 deals with the fundamentals of quality management systems,[2] including the eight management principles[2][3] on which the family of standards is based. ISO 9001 deals with the requirements that organizations wishing to meet the standard have to fulfill.[4]

Third party certification bodies provide independent confirmation that organizations meet the requirements of ISO 9001. Over a million organizations worldwide[5] are independently certified, making ISO 9001 one of the most widely used management tools in the world today. Despite widespread use, however, the ISO certification process has been criticized[6][7] as being wasteful and not being useful for all organizations.[8
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Then, I thought, APB.... where are the statisticians and extrapolaters. I am primarily interested in the 996 (this is a 996 forum, no offense to Boxster owners.) I am not a mathematician, (in fact I need to leave my zipper down to count to 10.5.....isn't that why I drive a 996....lol). Is there enough data (with the 'affected vin #'s) to make a best estimate as to the total number of cars affected?
This is the interesting thing. Assume each claim is for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K (which, given the numbers tossed around, is really low). How much money is Porsche going in for here?

Even at $100M (which is half of the cash on their balance sheet), you'd be looking at 10,000 claims, out of what ~300,000 engines?

If this actually goes through, we'll be able to back into the failure rate.

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted