996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flashing Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Wma3329
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 996 Turbo check engine light has been on and off. Took it to mechanic and couldn't find any fault code. He reset it and was fine for a few days then came back on. Second time he diagnosed the fault code read camshaft solenoid. He said it might be due to car sitting too long not driven. Timing is off. He reset it and now it's back on.

Any advice?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Wma3329
My 996 Turbo check engine light has been on and off. Took it to mechanic and couldn't find any fault code. He reset it and was fine for a few days then came back on. Second time he diagnosed the fault code read camshaft solenoid. He said it might be due to car sitting too long not driven. Timing is off. He reset it and now it's back on.

Any advice?
What are or were the code or codes?

The 996 Turbo can experienced a cracked solenoid bracket which can cause VarioCam related error codes.

Here is a link to a thread and post #34 has a parts diagram with the brackets circled.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...and-6-a-3.html

My Turbo has never had a problem with its brackets or solenoids/actuators, but my 2002 Boxster had a solenoid/actuator fail and both were replaced.

So if the brackets are good and the error code or codes come back and they point to the solenoid/actuator you mght need to have the one pointed to by the error code replaced.

But worry about this when/if the time comes.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Wma3329
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information. I will take it in to my mechanic and let him know. The fault code just said Camshaft Solenoid

Quick Reply: Flashing Check Engine Light