996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: metal fragments in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I for one will not be offended and would like to hear your take on lubricant changes and oil types.
Unfortunately you are one of the few.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

An oil thread will derail faster than a three wheeled train. It is always interesting to hear what Jake's research and experience has revealed. I took the smart way out and just had Jake fill my engine with Joe Gibb's DT-40.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Summit has that.

Jake, If you deicide to explain, just prepare yourself for the assault from the usual forum goons and dont worry about it. I have taken it many times and found that the internet arrows to the chest dont even hurt.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Ok, high zinc content, I get it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Nevermind, I found your post about it. Great info and funny. Couldnt agree more!

There is nothing that I hate more than BS online arguments with armchair experts that don't even change their own oil,

Last edited by KrazyK; 01-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Classic.
I sense some derision, and hope I'm wrong about this, Jake. For those reading who WILL continue to drive and maintain these cars, your opinion about how you feel they should be taken care of would be appreciated. I don't know that I'll be in that group, but we'll see. I'm not interested in an oil thread, you can read these at a dime per dozen on this site, but proper service intervals and other advice would be useful. I've always been respectful to you here and in any conversation I've ever been in about the topic of the 996.
So far I'm not understanding what will need to be fixed and/or replaced, other than that it all needs to be torn apart and inspected. Cams at $1000 per (?) X 4 plus labor and other parts for what at most is a $25K car is seeming a little shaky to me, but that's me. The indy also quoted me lifters at $150 a pop X however many of those there are that need to be replaced. Yikes.
So I'm no armchair expert, and don't change my own oil. My time is better spent doing my real job, which I'm good at, rather than screwing around with my car. I don't recommend that you take out your own appendix, gallbladder or fix your own hernia, btw. For those who do work on their cars, I admire greatly your know-how, willingness to learn, courage and free time, but let's try and keep this informative and useful for those who might be able to prevent this from happening to their own cars, thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
I sense some derision, and hope I'm wrong about this, Jake. For those reading who WILL continue to drive and maintain these cars, your opinion about how you feel they should be taken care of would be appreciated. I don't know that I'll be in that group, but we'll see. I'm not interested in an oil thread, you can read these at a dime per dozen on this site, but proper service intervals and other advice would be useful. I've always been respectful to you here and in any conversation I've ever been in about the topic of the 996.
So far I'm not understanding what will need to be fixed and/or replaced, other than that it all needs to be torn apart and inspected. Cams at $1000 per (?) X 4 plus labor and other parts for what at most is a $25K car is seeming a little shaky to me, but that's me. The indy also quoted me lifters at $150 a pop X however many of those there are that need to be replaced. Yikes.
So I'm no armchair expert, and don't change my own oil. My time is better spent doing my real job, which I'm good at, rather than screwing around with my car. I don't recommend that you take out your own appendix, gallbladder or fix your own hernia, btw. For those who do work on their cars, I admire greatly your know-how, willingness to learn, courage and free time, but let's try and keep this informative and useful for those who might be able to prevent this from happening to their own cars, thanks.
Good, professional advice is never free. If you really want a diagnosis or opinion from Flat6, then send your car there. Otherwise, listen to your Indy's advice (if you trust him).

I can't blame Jake for being coy, but who knows, maybe there will be a Camshaft Actuator Solution in our future!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I won't engage any further, because it will only create issues that have no solution.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I come from the "old school" way of thinking and believe in 3000 miles / 3 month oil changes on performance engines.

I think you would be nuts to go a year between oil changes in a high dollar performance engine. I wouldnt treat a lawn mower engine with such disdain.
Waste your money if you wish, but its just that...an absolute waste*

*if you track the car, the above is void.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Quix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I won't engage any further, because it will only create issues that have no solution.
I understand your position and dilemma. Thanks for your advice so far. I'll still try and post any photos I get, just for education's sake. q
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm guessing Jake is referring to the constant push-pull that occurs between the bean counters and the engineers at Porsche and the compromises that have to be made.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Waste your money if you wish, but its just that...an absolute waste*
Quad, maybe you should read the info referenced in Excellence Mag that also agrees with me. The real waste would be destroying the 20K engine by stretching the service interval while using the wrong lube. That 20K buys a lot of oil, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Quix
Instructor

Quad, maybe you should read the info referenced in Excellence Mag that also agrees with me. The real waste would be destroying the 20K engine by stretching the service interval while using the wrong lube. That 20K buys a lot of oil, right?
I have to say that, from my vantage point, it certainly would make me feel better had I not listened to those espousing changes every 5 or even 10K miles, and had I studied the oil threads for some evidence that one is better than another. I did everything else under the sun to prevent being where I am now with this car. jmho. q
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Summit has that.

Jake, If you deicide to explain, just prepare yourself for the assault from the usual forum goons and dont worry about it. I have taken it many times and found that the internet arrows to the chest dont even hurt.
Jake is a pretty busy guy. I prefer for him to stay busy doing R&D. Why not search posts by Jake & read first before asking him to rehash old info?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

who reads that crap?

excellence magazine as a source on oil tech? please.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: metal fragments in oil