Sponsored by:

1999 Engine Lid Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM
ivygreen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Engine Lid Won't Open

I did try to search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

The engine lid on my '99 won't open with the inside release. Before I start pulling things apart, has anyone had this problem? I think they're cables on the '99 and not electric, correct? I've seen people who've not been able to open the frunk, but never the engine. WTF?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

ivygreen,
Actually this has been discussed several times, but SEARCH is an imperfect function sometimes.

Step 1. Pull the handle up
Step 2. Stick something (soft but firm) under the handle so the handle won't go down
Step 3. Go back to the engine cover and lift
Step 4. If the engine cover lifted, then look at the black round things in the far corners of the engine cover (upper two corners when the lid is up). Take note that they are actually adjustment screws with a round black cover. There is a hex head slot in the adjustment screw. Rotate the adjustment screw out half a turn at a time and then close the cover and try again.
Step 5. "Rinse and repeat"

Step 6. If holding the lever up while trying to open the engine cover did not release the lid, then you have a much bigger problem. Keep searching here, because the truth is out there. I just don't remember where the emergency release is located (usually tucked behind one of the taillights inside the wheel well).

Note: The rubber cap on the adjustment screw in each corner (2 total) actually provides the resistance to pop the cover. If those rubber covers are missing or worn out, then you should preplace them.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 AM
ivygreen
Instructor

Thundertub is my hero! Thanks, man!

My paintless dent removal guy just took those bumpers out to access some acorn damage.

Last edited by ivygreen; 01-02-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's nice to see a problem posed, and a solution offered. This is the forum at its best.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting, I was going to ask the same question today...

I don't know if MY04 has the same function with the electric button by the drivers seat like MY99?

But when I push the open lid button it sounds like its operating but when I go bak to open its still locked. If I however ask someone to push the button and I open when the lid lock mechanism sounds I can open the lid.

Could this too be an adjustment issue? And what do I need to adjust?

One strange thing is that there's a cable going from the mechanism and its going in a loop and is really long and going to the left light and then down somewhere. Is this the emergency open cable? And why is it this long and sloppy?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ivygreen
Thundertub is my hero! Thanks, man!

My paintless dent removal guy just took those bumpers out to access some acorn damage.
Unrelated, but I like your garage flooring. What product is that?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
ivygreen
Instructor

Thank you. It's Floor Junkies.com Less than half the price of RaceDeck. It's not as substantial as RaceDeck, but that floor is seven years old and I have zero complaints.

I even moved it from one house to another. At my old place, I had a four post lift sitting on it with no problem.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 741 Posts

Both the trunk and engine lid have emergency release cables. The engine lid cable lies under the left tail light. You need a thin piece of wire with a little hook on it to fish the cable out...something like a piece of wire coat hangar works pretty well to fish it out. The trunk cable is located behind the right front wheel inner liner. Difficult to get without removing the wheel and liner. Better is to mod by opening trunk, removing the plastic front piece covering the hood latch, locate the wire and then relocate behind the tow hook plug on the front bumper.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

More good info ^^^^^. Everyone, write this down on a Post-it Note and stick it to the cover of your owners manual (if you have one), or maybe just put it in your left armrest pocket so you have it when you need it.

Good idea to relocate the front emergency pull as described above. Nice tip!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
fd911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good you asked because I was about to ask the same question. My Lid wont open. Ill try this solution today. You guys are just awesome!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ivygreen
Thank you. It's Floor Junkies.com Less than half the price of RaceDeck. It's not as substantial as RaceDeck, but that floor is seven years old and I have zero complaints.

I even moved it from one house to another. At my old place, I had a four post lift sitting on it with no problem.

You have you garage in your kitchen! How cool (lol)...
Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
ivygreen
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmkazz
You have you garage in your kitchen! How cool (lol)...
lol. The oven is for powdercoating. The microwave is for Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a tru man cave. mine pales in comparison!
i noticed the flat screen in the corner.
got a coke or budweiser can fridge?

and ps...is there really one one shock for the rear deck lid?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Both the trunk and engine lid have emergency release cables. The engine lid cable lies under the left tail light. You need a thin piece of wire with a little hook on it to fish the cable out...something like a piece of wire coat hangar works pretty well to fish it out. The trunk cable is located behind the right front wheel inner liner. Difficult to get without removing the wheel and liner. Better is to mod by opening trunk, removing the plastic front piece covering the hood latch, locate the wire and then relocate behind the tow hook plug on the front bumper.
I did the same to the engine lid wire release on my car. Found it and sent it down so it came out under the car. Simply wrapped it around the muffler. Works great. Saves all the arsing about fishing for it behind the tail light. I sent the front one through the air intake scoop and out next to the air temp gauge. I accidently found that one as I was taking the front off the car to clean between the rads and condensors..
Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Same problem as previous posters ... Button activates but will not release unless someone is lifting cover while the button is operated.

Lots of discussion about the emergency cable, but the real question remains:

How do you fix the root cause of the button not popping the hood?

Is there an adjustment that has to be made somewhere?

EDIT ... Ooops completely overlooked post #2. How embarrassing.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 05-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 Engine Lid Won't Open