996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New paperweight - IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any consideration of a ceramic or ceramic hybrid bearing?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristopherG
Any consideration of a ceramic or ceramic hybrid bearing?
The LN bearing is ceramic hybrid
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

The DIY guys don't need books to learn how to rebuild an engine. Pointers on some of the unique tricks and steps is all that one needs, the rest is more or less the same on all engines. No need for an entire book, just a few pages of instructions will do.

The bearing in mine, with 200K ('99 with the dual row) looked fine. I removed the seal, washed it all out and inspected the internals. All looked good. Bought the car with a jumped timing chain so I have no idea what the original owner did, it was a one owner car but, whatever the old guy did (he was over 70), must have been the right thing.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Refer to the paperwork. This is LNs policy, not mine. If it were up to me it wouldn't even have a warranty.

The warranty is not complete without returning te replaced bearing to LN where it is logged into the database.

Read the warranty details.
I emailed Charles Navarro from LNE and asked for mine back. I paid shipping. So that's how I got my expensive paperweight. Mine "looked good" but I didn't take it apart.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quix
I emailed Charles Navarro from LNE and asked for mine back. I paid shipping. So that's how I got my expensive paperweight. Mine "looked good" but I didn't take it apart.
Thanks for clarifying that.. That's an option too.

The paperweights can be a lot more expensive.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh on the tool rental, and if you charge the full amount + profit margin up front, you won't run into problems. I've rented various audi tools (timing mostly) over the years without issue, I don't see why it would be any different for pcars.

You'dessentially be selling the tools with an option to rent if the person isn't a moron.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by halik
Eh on the tool rental, and if you charge the full amount + profit margin up front, you won't run into problems. I've rented various audi tools (timing mostly) over the years without issue, I don't see why it would be any different for pcars.

You'dessentially be selling the tools with an option to rent if the person isn't a moron.
Then you'll end up being titled an insensitive, money hungry, capitalist..

I've had Porsche tool rental programs in the past, it lasted about a month.
You sound experienced, the door is wide open, I want zero part of that. Too many finger pointing exercises for me.

Of course if someone can't afford the tools, they generally can't afford the parts and its just going to be a compromised, blown up experience anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd like to thank L&N Engineering for developing this improved IMSB. It is an improvement over the original part at a very fair price. While mine was apart, the dealership did identify several other issues which were fixed. They would have required pulling the engine as well, so it goes down as maintenance. I think I have another good 50,000 miles going forward.

I overlooked the part about sending the old bearing to LNE. Oh well. In reality, warranty or not, if it winds up that the new bearing fails, the cost of the bearing is almost a non-issue. The labor costs to pull the engine and tip tranny make the part cost look like chump change. I know I have the dual bearing now. I'll put the guardian back on and have it monitoring my engine. My 996 has never run better (at least since I've owned it). And depending on which way the next four years of obamanomics go, at least I have a fast car to getaway if I have to. That area in GA around Flat 6 sounds pretty sweet!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder what he does or will do with the rest? Perhaps ship a few thousand in one big bow tie box to Porsche headquarters and invite all the automotive press along to be there for the reception?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder what he does or will do with the rest? Perhaps ship a few thousand in one big bow tie box to Porsche headquarters and invite all the automotive press along to be there for the reception?
We have parties where we use cut off wheels to zip them all apart and see how bad they were...

One day we will need every single one of these examples.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Then you'll end up being titled an insensitive, money hungry, capitalist..

I've had Porsche tool rental programs in the past, it lasted about a month.
You sound experienced, the door is wide open, I want zero part of that. Too many finger pointing exercises for me.

Of course if someone can't afford the tools, they generally can't afford the parts and its just going to be a compromised, blown up experience anyway.
It's not really a question of being able to afford the tools, it's just not a worthy investment if you only do it once. For example the stupid stuff you need to set timing on the S4 V8 runs about $500 bucks. If you're doing it once, that's a stupid expense.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

How come a simple question about how to remove oil from a bearing so it could be used as a paper weight could turn into a full blown advertising and justification campaign by Flat 6 Innovations does not suprise me in the least. The door was ajar and the flat 6 foot shot in there and kept it open to advertise their products. Be it books or bearings or a load of bollux. Get back on the subject and lets move on ...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I know some people give Jake heck on here but I will read every self promoting post he does just so I can soak in every piece of advice he has to give just because of his obvious knowledge. Wether or not someone chooses to purchase his products and services is their business. I will continue to read everything he posts and learn from it no matter how much advertising he does.

Thanks Jake, for taking time out of your busy schedule to post so that some of us can learn from your experience. Even if you think we are not following your advice, I for one, am learning from you.

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-15-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So now its kiss **** time again.... Same old song...At least you do acknowlege that Jake does advertize when ever he gets a chance and 'good for him'.. He wouldnt be a good business man if he didn't advertize his products.. Shrewd is the operative word. If Jakes products are a good as his business sense then he is on a winner.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Burp.

Quick Reply: New paperweight - IMSB