996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New paperweight - IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,283 Likes on 900 Posts

Completely non-sequitur, but a book on DIY rebuilding of the motors is a great idea. As these cares are getting more and more into the DIY price range, I can see a ton of demand for such publication.
I agree.. BUT even general shops can't find specs on the engine, because they have never been printed. What I have compiled is our own specs from taking apart engines that were brand new from Porsche and of course what we have experienced. The measurements and etc that are available are generally not even accurate. The book isn't about history, or anything other than engine assembly. It has two IMS Chapters and one "everything" chapter.

Hell I'd bundle that with special tool sales / rental program.
And go absolutely crazy when someone doesn't return them, disrespects them with a hammer or calls ten thousand times to ask questions about using them.

Been there, done that and will NEVER make that mistake again.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
All this has been hashed out several times now and yes maybe I do have a douche attitude but I'm entitled to that as well as a great percentage of others that share my views. I don't believe I have directly insulted you or Jake in any way.

Here's the breakdown on how I see it just to clarify.
- Jake is VERY knowledgable about the M series engines
- He has contributed greatly to the Porsche community by offering a solution to a potential IMS failures
- He has gone above and beyond that by not resting on his initial design but taking it further(we shall see what that is).
- There is that potential artificial fear that some feel is generated by him
- We have no conclusive proof on pinpointing exactly what makes the IMS fail(bad batch, manufacturing, different manufacturers, etc) and if it will fail in all engines.
- In the mean time, it is a highly individual decision by each owner to elect to have this done or not. We shouldn't criticize owners for doing or not doing the procedure.
- Fan boys will always come to Jakes defense regardless.
- I've observed a bit of ego boost in his statements lately compared to when he first started posting about this subject which frankly makes hims sound a bit high and mighty.
Just stop. Please.

Look back at where this initially informative thread started, and then consider where it is now. Now that you have added your little list, can we trust that you have had your say and will move on to other endeavors?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We do this work because we love the challenges, the problem solving and helping those who desperately need us; generally when no one else can help them. I just like to work on things, no matter what they are and honestly the more problematic and misunderstood they are, the more I love it.

Marketing skills? They didn't teach us those in Special Ed.
I think it shows that your passion comes first and foremost for these cars and reason why you're at where you're at today. Also the reason why you will get respect from many people whether they agree with everything 100% or not, including me.

I just don't think you need to get defensive or read into things more than necessary and also to sometimes just let your products speak for themselves.

Didn't know about the book til recently, when is the expected release?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Just stop. Please.

Look back at where this initially informative thread started, and then consider where it is now. Now that you have added your little list, can we trust that you have had your say and will move on to other endeavors?
These are things I've repeated in my other posts but somehow people that haven't seen them might be confused or assume I have some kind of mean streak or grudge against Jake when that isn't the fact at all. I just wanted to clarify myself so we can all move on.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Just stop. Please.

+1 What kind of an idiot critisizes freely given, state of the art information on a public forum designed to freely share this very information we seek?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
+1 What kind of an idiot critisizes freely given, state of the art information on a public forum designed to freely share this very information we seek?
You are seeing it wrong or I'm not communicating my thoughts effectively.

Rewind some posts back when it
WAS on topic and things were very informational before all the drama. Jake told us that some of the IMS was made in Poland and France. I inquired if he knew what percentages and if there were any correlation on the failures to the origin of manufacture. He stated that information was private so how is that freely given info? However he's worked hard at gathering that data and I don't expect him to share it and I've said fair enough. If you wanna know, buy the book.

Where the drama started was in my second part of that post where I found it hard to believe his "thousands" and wanted more clarification. He responded back with some numbers and it's up to me to choose whether I believe it or not.

Somehow it's spiraled from there. I apologize for setting this post on a tangent and would like to get back to the original post about dead paper weight.

I am confused on the owners that keep the IMS as dead paper weight. I thought Jake mentioned you need to return that for warranty to take place. Can someone clarify that for me?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Trust me, more people complain about free information than anything else. Welcome to 2012, I just hope the Mayans were right.

I just don't think you need to get defensive or read into things more than necessary and also to sometimes just let your products speak for themselves.
Thats not being defensive, its pure intensity. I am the most intense person that most will ever meet. I was raised in a way where life was real and men were men, they didn't take crap and was taught that the only way around a problem was straight through the damn middle of it. People today don't like that.

Didn't know about the book til recently, when is the expected release?
2013. Its done when its done, three years in it so far.

Here is a page of the chapter I am working on today... You saw it here first.
:-)
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Thats not being defensive, its pure intensity. I am the most intense person that most will ever meet. I was raised in a way where life was real and men were men, they didn't take crap and was taught that the only way around a problem was straight through the damn middle of it. People today don't like that.

2013. Its done when its done, three years in it so far.

Here is a page of the chapter I am working on today... You saw it here first.
:-)
I was once intense but then got into corporate world where I got reprimanded quite a bit and now I'm slowly being assimiliated into the corporate world with all the BS that goes on there. I'm jealous sometimes at individual business owner for being able to be "intense".

The page you posted is page 1? so you plan on being finished by end of 2013?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I was once intense but then got into corporate world where I got reprimanded quite a bit and now I'm slowly being assimiliated into the corporate world with all the BS that goes on there.
I've never had a job where I didn't sign my own paycheck. I'd make a crappy employee.

I'm jealous sometimes at individual business owner for being able to be "intense".
I am sometimes jealous of the person who works 9-5, has vacation pay, gets a bonus at the end of the year and can "turn off" the work when they clock out.

The page you posted is page 1? so you plan on being finished by end of 2013?
This is page one of the E-Book that I am assembling as a separate offering from the full book, so those that only want the IMS info don't have to buy the whole book.

I am more than 2/3 way finished with the book, but we need to debut the IMS Solution before the book since it is covered as well, so there isn't any hurry on the book until the Solution is in the hands of distributors.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
alpine003
Banned

Thanks for the book info. Now I understand the whole eBook vs regular book.

My dad was an individual business owner so I can sympathize with the hours and responsibility that comes along with it. Try to alot some time though for your kids. They only grow up once. I had my grandfather act as my father most of the time when I was growing up because of it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Try to alot some time though for your kids. They only grow up once
I only have one.. My Wife owns an accounting firm and four months out of the year she is barely human. I'd love to be able to turn this stuff off and just go home and enjoy it, but it never slows down and I gave up on doing that. Basically all I think about is engines, whether I am here or not, but thats the good part.. Dealing with the other BS is what sucks.

Here is Ava, she'll be a year old on 12.2.12, she was born with Spinabifida, had surgery @ two days old and has been great every since. I don't spend enough time with her, which pisses me off.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

I only have one.. My Wife owns an accounting firm and four months out of the year she is barely human. I'd love to be able to turn this stuff off and just go home and enjoy it, but it never slows down and I gave up on doing that. Basically all I think about is engines, whether I am here or not, but thats the good part.. Dealing with the other BS is what sucks.

Here is Ava, she'll be a year old on 12.2.12, she was born with Spinabifida, had surgery @ two days old and has been great every since. I don't spend enough time with her, which pisses me off.
Well being a father myself, I really do hope you can get some time maybe later to do all the fun stuff with your daughter. At least what you're doing now should pay for her college tuition and I'm sure she'll have one kick @ss of a car when she turns 16.

Jake, can you clarify if the old IMS has to be returned for warranty to take effect on the new IMS? I didn't quite get that.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Well being a father myself, I really do hope you can get some time maybe later to do all the fun stuff with your daughter. At least what you're doing now should pay for her college tuition
She'll pay for it herself, else she won't appreciate it.
You guys must think this stuff is really lucrative, hell we barely make 10% on most items! Thats what happens with USA made products in low volumes for a niche market, even if they have a huge price tag.

and I'm sure she'll have one kick @ss of a car when she turns 16.
Which she will build herself, just like I did.. If not, she won't be driving.

Jake, can you clarify if the old IMS has to be returned for warranty to take effect on the new IMS? I didn't quite get that.
YES, look at your warranty paperwork from LN. The old bearing must be sent in to prove that the bearing that was replaced was not failing. Bearings that are replaced after a stage 3 failure will harm the replacement bearing due to collateral damage from foreign object debris contamination.

Refer to your paperwork, it says it all. Here we do it a lot differently, everything is deemed experimental and we only guarantee the turn key engines that we create from scratch.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

YES, look at your warranty paperwork from LN. The old bearing must be sent in to prove that the bearing that was replaced was not failing. Bearings that are replaced after a stage 3 failure will harm the replacement bearing due to collateral damage from foreign object debris contamination.

Refer to your paperwork, it says it all. Here we do it a lot differently, everything is deemed experimental and we only guarantee the turn key engines that we create from scratch.
Interesting so the people posting their IMS here that plan on keeping it for a paper weight will not have a warranty?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Interesting so the people posting their IMS here that plan on keeping it for a paper weight will not have a warranty?
Refer to the paperwork. This is LNs policy, not mine. If it were up to me it wouldn't even have a warranty.

The warranty is not complete without returning te replaced bearing to LN where it is logged into the database.

Read the warranty details.

Quick Reply: New paperweight - IMSB