996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transmission rebuild time at 71K miles cost breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to share that as well Tbred. I would be happy to answer any questions however that anyone might have. We are always here to help, whenever possible. 71K on the 996 gearbox is not acutally that bad if it did not receive the proper maintenance in the past or has been driven hard.

Typically there are two sealed bearings that go bad, then there is the dreaded 2nd gear popout issue which we resolve. While there is certainly nothing wrong with going the new route, keep in mind that the detent issue and engagment to 1st and 2nd gear will still be the same and can eventually run into the same issues as the gearboxes that are currently experiencing pop-out.

Happy to help, and thanks for the nice words everyone.

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899 work
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911:9799902
Originally Posted by chsu74
Yes. Matt at Gbox gets my call.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9701969-post22.html
Matt Monson doesn't work with/for is not affiliated with GBOX

Matt Monson owns Guard Transmission which is what the link in your post is showing.
My post was to show the shortcomings of the OEM tranny and siding with OP's decision to rebuild. You can't go wrong with either GBOX or Guard although I would add LSD also if it was my car.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by JCreasy

If you are kidding... Then, pretty good one. Ask Matt about my slippery shifter ****!

If you are not kidding, then let's try to stay positive. I'm not "... going on and on" about anything but I am trying to figure out what to do at 200k, or not.

I am asking questions about these things because I'd like to get feedback from other folks on here. I kinda thought that was the purpose of a forum like this... To try and share experiences and feedback so we can all make better decisions based on collective advice.

Thanks guys,

JKC

PS Have a question about GTec (spelling?) but I'll post it under another heading.
Mr.Creasy,
The shop that I referred you to for service in the Atlanta area has extensive knowledge and practices for the 996 transaxle. They have repaired one of the units for us when we didn't have time to fool with it and I was very pleased. We have zero time for tranny work with our schedule so I refer all the local people to them for tranny service, or to Gbox for those out of town as Gbox has been great as well.

At 200K take advantage of the engine being pulled to go ahead and have the tranny addressed. More than likely it won't go another 200K and you are very lucky that you have had such good service with it, especially in regard to 2nd gear issues. The more you do at once, the better the chances that you be nickel and dimed to death in the coming years.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Racer

Re-Reading your post... I think I get it. You were saying "Matt" was going on and on about being re-buildable and quoting my car... Promoting the brand. Correct?

JKC
Glad I re-read the posts as I was about to get bent out of shape with your response. Thanks for correcting your mistake, not everyone on these car lists does that!

Anyway, as you say, Matt was in fact touting the hardiness of the car and used your car as the example.

I had occasion to talk to Mr Raby a couple of months ago about doing my clutch and IMS work. Wasn't able to take it to him (warranty issues) but I can say he seems to be a very knowledgeable and accomodating guy.

I do agree that at 200k miles, removing the engine and NOT doing the gearbox would seem to be false economy. Assuming that is, you intend to keep the car.

I also agree with your assessment of the comparative performance value of the car compared to what else is out there, built to the same standards.

I don't agree with the notion that the car isn't the greatest looking machine.....I do think it's a great looking car....not as good looking as my Jag E-type, but then I'm probably biased....:-)

Best regards

Les.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Ensure at any rate the pinion and layshaft bearings are replaced. I would remove the seals on the new bearings to allow splash lubrication.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With GBOX, I am sure they will take care of me. Right now just waiting for the trans get in their hands so they can work their magic. It really sucks driving a 911 without 2nd gear working well. I am hope the rebuild charge is on the lower end since to me seems like only a 2nd gear issue.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

Les,

No sweat. My mistake. End of a long day. I'd love to see your E-Type sometime. Let me know when you are in the area and maybe we can hook up for coffee or something.

Jake,

Need to set another appointment with you in the next few weeks and go over stuff. Was thinking just as you were about the transmission stuff.

As for keeping the car, I am so deep into it now and would probably get next to nothing for it if I sold it or traded, so it probably makes sense for me to spend the money and "... restore" it mechanically, with improvements and upgrades, that is.

Thanks for the feedback, guys... I have another question off this topic that I'll post in a bit.

Take it easy,

JKC
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Racer

Les,

No sweat. My mistake. End of a long day. I'd love to see your E-Type sometime. Let me know when you are in the area and maybe we can hook up for coffee or something.

JKC
I live in Marietta. Where do you reside? Maybe we can choose somewhere in between. I'm out of town this Friday - Tuesday then home for 2 days then gone again for a day. Be in town on Sat/Sun the 8/9th. Would be happy to drive the E unless it's raining of course...:-)

Best Regards

Les.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Racer

Les,

Jake,
Jake, if you want to get together sometime, contact me at leshalls@yahoo.com

Best regards

Les.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Mr.Creasy,
The shop that I referred you to for service in the Atlanta area has extensive knowledge and practices for the 996 transaxle. They have repaired one of the units for us when we didn't have time to fool with it and I was very pleased. We have zero time for tranny work with our schedule so I refer all the local people to them for tranny service, or to Gbox for those out of town as Gbox has been great as well.

At 200K take advantage of the engine being pulled to go ahead and have the tranny addressed. More than likely it won't go another 200K and you are very lucky that you have had such good service with it, especially in regard to 2nd gear issues. The more you do at once, the better the chances that you be nickel and dimed to death in the coming years.
rebuilds don't last that long... rebuilders don't replace everything (and they won't tell you that) although it seems cost effective @ $3K you may be dipping into your pocket two years later... it's happened to a few people we know... just go buy a new one off Ebay for $4K and you'll have peace of mind for the next 60,000 miles.... I track with a lot of 996's and I don't know of any with the 2nd gear popout issue... didn't know it was that common.. in any case it's an easy fix... it's not that common and there is nothing wrong with the 1st to 2nd shift... sounds like a "sell" to me. wouldn't you rather buy something new for an extra $1K ? heck you can probably sell your core for $500 and your way ahead of the game...

and I wouldn't send my gearbox to GBOX ; few folks have had bad experience and GBOX doesn't stand behind their work; you'll be fixing again.

new = best choice

my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

rebuilds don't last that long... rebuilders don't replace everything (and they won't tell you that) although it seems cost effective @ $3K you may be dipping into your pocket two years later... it's happened to a few people we know... just go buy a new one off Ebay for $4K and you'll have peace of mind for the next 60,000 miles.... I track with a lot of 996's and I don't know of any with the 2nd gear popout issue... didn't know it was that common.. in any case it's an easy fix... it's not that common and there is nothing wrong with the 1st to 2nd shift... sounds like a "sell" to me. wouldn't you rather buy something new for an extra $1K ? heck you can probably sell your core for $500 and your way ahead of the game...

and I wouldn't send my gearbox to GBOX ; few folks have had bad experience and GBOX doesn't stand behind their work; you'll be fixing again.

new = best choice

my 2 cents
I for one would tend to disagree with you!
I have never seen a new transmission for $4000.00 for a 996. (Porsche are asking $14000.00)
The work that GBOX does is exemplary based on many people (racers) that I have spoken to who get their Cup car transmissions rebuilt there.
I have had my transmission rebuilt there and it not only shifts like a dream but is whisper quiet while running.
When I sent it down from Montreal, they advised whern they received it, advised when they opened and diagnosed and gave a price which they stuck to as well as as how long it would take and that was accurate as well.
You shouldn't disparage a business that you have not had personal experience with, just sayin!
(Hearsay is inadmissable in court!)
Pete
Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pszikla
I for one would tend to disagree with you!
I have never seen a new transmission for $4000.00 for a 996. (Porsche are asking $14000.00)
The work that GBOX does is exemplary based on many people (racers) that I have spoken to who get their Cup car transmissions rebuilt there.
I have had my transmission rebuilt there and it not only shifts like a dream but is whisper quiet while running.
When I sent it down from Montreal, they advised whern they received it, advised when they opened and diagnosed and gave a price which they stuck to as well as as how long it would take and that was accurate as well.
You shouldn't disparage a business that you have not had personal experience with, just sayin!
(Hearsay is inadmissable in court!)
Pete
new 996 transmissions are on Ebay all the time... search is your friend and they go for about $4000.
Cup cars get rebuilds every year cause racing destroys cars... and gbox ain't the only ones doin it..

you can look up GBOX in WWW.RIPOFFREPORT.COM I'm not making this up.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

And we are off..

I know Guard gets raving reviews and only bought my 2nd gear detent from GBOX on ebay. GBOX did not provide much support or shipping notification which is disappointing since I paid close to $100 for a piece of metal. Nonetheless, product work as advertised because my 996 gear box's 2nd gear would be difficult to shift into when cold and sometimes would pop out because my tranny would not lock into 2nd gear. You run into customer service issues when operating any business. Obviously, you need to take care of your customers but there are always two sides to every story.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
And we are off..
Obviously, you need to take care of your customers but there are always two sides to every story.
sure... the truth and bull****; keep your eyes on www.ripoffreport.com as more gbox customers chime in
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
Matt Monson doesn't work with/for is not affiliated with GBOX

Matt Monson owns Guard Transmission which is what the link in your post is showing.
Thank you for clarifying that. Neither I nor my company have any affiliation with Gbox. When I first purchased Guard Transmission from Paul Guard a bit over 3 years ago, there were a slew of threads here on RL speculating that Gbox was the buyer. I wasn't terribly active here back then and some of those threads went a year or more without me seeing them and correcting them. Unfortunately, many people never saw my corrections and still think that Gbox bought the company which I own.

Just last week a 944 owner was posting in the racing forum about how he had sent his gearbox to me for rebuilding service and had his first weekend at the track with his rebuilt box. We're a manufacturer of motorsports parts for Porsche gearboxes. We don't offer rebuilding services. This particular guy got his gearbox back and in his car, all the while believing he had sent it to me, even though all his communication and paperwork was with Gbox. We are NOT the same company.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild time at 71K miles cost breakdown