Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL at the thread. I was just telling my trans rebuild story
I hope to be in the car by next Friday.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah this thread has gone sideways. OP how come you havnt considered/mentioned replacing your LSD while doing your rebuild?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by Hardback
Yeah this thread has gone sideways. OP how come you havnt considered/mentioned replacing your LSD while doing your rebuild?
I have no LSD or PSM..........pure drivers car.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
I have no LSD or PSM..........pure drivers car.
I don't think LSD and PSM is the same thing. Installing a LSD makes it a better driver's car. Love my LSD on my TT vs the open diff on my 996 C2.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah... a limited slip differential will only improve the drivability of a RWD car...
PSM is useless in older 996s. In my experience the PSM can apply the brakes in order to stabilize the car. Unfortunately this can happen on a high speed sweeper and completely upset the car.
I'm sure the system has evolved and become less obtrusive with newer cars...
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
I don't think LSD and PSM is the same thing. Installing a LSD makes it a better driver's car. Love my LSD on my TT vs the open diff on my 996 C2.
Yep, they are both different things and my car has neither

I am going to give GBOX a call tomorrow and check on the transmission. Left a message Friday but did not hear back from them, probably because the holiday weekend. I am really itching to get my 996 back together.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Yeah... a limited slip differential will only improve the drivability of a RWD car...
Absolutely! When LSDs are set up correctly, it provides stability during hard braking and improved traction upon accelerating out of corners; especially bumpy ones.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
carcster88
Racer

Well, transmission rebuild total with some problems in the diff fixed:

$3,846.....with tax and shipping included in that.

Labor and fluids.......about $950

Waterpump looks like it is leaking so now is a good time to take care of that, still not cheap.

From what GBOX told me looks like someone never changed the trans fluid and ragged on it quite a bit. I did pick the car up at 57K miles on it.

I love the car and with the new clutch, AOS, RMS, IMS fix done 5K miles ago...this should make it like a brand new car.....and with the water pump getting done as well. Just wanted to keep you all updated.

I am sure the next thing that needs replacement/upgrade is the suspension. DOH!!!!!!

Overall, GBOX made it pretty painless and I hope to have the car back soon....pending on if the dealer has the water pump in stock and if GBOX gets the trans back in a day or so.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM
carcster88
Racer

Actually, when I think about it.....around a little over $10,000 in repairs and maintenance in the last 2 years I have owned the car. Never thought it would add up so fast. No, I am not totally upset, I knew what I was getting when I bought a used 996. I would say for anyone buying a used 996.....make sure you have money set aside like I did or you might take it a little different than I did. Just saying...........this car only had 57K miles on it when I bought it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

From what GBOX told me looks like someone never changed the trans fluid and ragged on it quite a bit. I did pick the car up at 57K miles on it.
Unfortunately, Porsche tells you that you don't need to change your gear oil until 90k mi. It is totally a disservice to the owners. I tell my clients to change it every 15k. For most people that amounts to once every year or two.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
Unfortunately, Porsche tells you that you don't need to change your gear oil until 90k mi. It is totally a disservice to the owners. I tell my clients to change it every 15k. For most people that amounts to once every year or two.
I will be doing that from now on as a normal part of my maintenance Just happy I have a like new transmission now.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 AM
carcster88
Racer

Picking up the car this morning at 10AM!!!! I am so happy to be back in the Porsche, will let you guys know how well it drives with the trans fixed and fresh fluids. Have to get all the use out of it before the snow comes soon!!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 AM
carcster88
Racer

FINAL UPDATE:

Picked up the car today, Porsche of Colorado Springs was great as usual.
After GBOX worked their wonders on the transmission, shifting is smooth, crisp.....night and day difference. Feels like a brand new car. Right now very happy with the car. Also feels good to know everything is pretty mechanical is as new or bulletproof as I can make it for many more years of driving pleasure. Too bad winter is coming around the corner but that is time for mods and upgrades
Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FINAL UPDATE:

Picked up the car today, Porsche of Colorado Springs was great as usual.
After GBOX worked their wonders on the transmission, shifting is smooth, crisp.....night and day difference. Feels like a brand new car. Right now very happy with the car. Also feels good to know everything is pretty mechanical is as new or bulletproof as I can make it for many more years of driving pleasure. Too bad winter is coming around the corner but that is time for mods and upgrades
let us know how it holds up in 2 years... they gave you a 12 month limited warranty right?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCreasy
(I don't buy stupid Carrera underpants at the dealership, but I am pretty loyal to the mark).
They sell Carrera underpants at the dealer? Men or women's or both?

In all seriousness though, I do agree with you that tranny failure at 70k seems ridiculously low. Hell, my Saab has about 60k miles on it and both the clutch and tranny both still feel very strong (knock wood)...albeit with a little whine...but in that case we're talking about a 39 yr old car.

-Eric

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild time at 71K miles cost breakdown