996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transmission rebuild time at 71K miles cost breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

996 tranny has weak points that fail. There are brass syncros and sealed bearings in there like the IMS bearing. Gbox is the right call and get the correct parts updated. I would never go and put a stock tranny back in if I have to rebuild a tranny.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know when I need a rebuild. Also, mildly unsettling.

In any event, thanks for the info.

JKC
Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JCreasy
Not trying to stir up the pot here, but I really am curious as to the history of these failures. Mine is at 180k and no problems other than a clutch. Daily driver, no DE or Track Days or AutoCross. Reasonably punctual maintenance.

Thanks,

JKC
Yooo, you must be the guy Matt over at Hennessey told me about. He was going on about how reliable these cars are and one guy who has 180k miles on his car without too many problems........small world.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
So carcster... Whatd the clutch/ims run ya? Mines going in next week to my indie for the to bearing, clutch kit, water pump, ims bearing. Just wanting to see some ball park numbers....i have a pretty good idea what mine will cost but just checking.
Thanks
Had mine done at the dealership a couple of months ago......new clutch assy/flywheel/throwout bearing/fitted IMS bearing/AOS/new clutch slave cylinder.......parts and labor around $3900.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
996 tranny has weak points that fail. There are brass syncros and sealed bearings in there like the IMS bearing. Gbox is the right call and get the correct parts updated. I would never go and put a stock tranny back in if I have to rebuild a tranny.
the Getrag transmissions have good updates and are available for $4K on eBay or through reputable sources... why the hell would you pay for a re-build when they don't replace all the bearings.... they only replace what is needed and then 2-3 years later it will come back to bite you in the ***.

you'd rather rebuild vs get a new gearbox... HUH?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03996
Had mine done at the dealership a couple of months ago......new clutch assy/flywheel/throwout bearing/fitted IMS bearing/AOS/new clutch slave cylinder.......parts and labor around $3900.
I think mine was around $2500 or so for IMS fix....mine was dual row bearings, RMS, AOS, and new clutch at the dealer. Give or take a few hundred.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 AM
carcster88
Racer

I have to chime in that 71k for a transmission failure is alarming. The other posts regarding failures are as well.

Can you guys tell us (or me) how these cars were driven? Any DE or Track Days or AutoCross? If they were daily drivers, then I am pretty unimpressed with a transmission that fails at 71k... And I am a Porsche guy. (I don't buy stupid Carrera underpants at the dealership, but I am pretty loyal to the mark).

Not trying to stir up the pot here, but I really am curious as to the history of these failures. Mine is at 180k and no problems other than a clutch. Daily driver, no DE or Track Days or AutoCross. Reasonably punctual maintenance.

Thanks,

JKC
I have to say I bought my car used with 57K on it. The clutch was pretty worn when I got it and the pop out started a few months after when it was cold. I think part of that was due to the previous owner. Granted....clutch wear varies on the driver....I think the 2nd gear was also part previous owner and part weak engineering by Porsche. Even the turbo guys have that problem. Tomorrow, I drop my car off at Porsche of Colorado Springs and the trans will be shipped to GBOX for a rebuild. I think they will take care of me and have no worries. I stand by my dealer 100%....first for me standing by a dealer. Will let you know how it goes when I get the car back. I hope to be driving happy in under 2 weeks. Little by little, I will make this car bulletproof as I can. I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Also, I do not let the faults of the 996 scare me, I knew that when I got into it. Besides the 2nd gear issue.....everything has been normal maintenance stuff. Also, thanks to the message board for all the great info over the long haul. I just want to post real figures, real results, and stuff from my perspective. Hopefully it helps out others in the long run...besides searching Google and finding nothing that helps.

Also, I did install the GBOX detent, by that time the damage was done so would not help...I did pray that it would though....LOL. I would say if you have a 996, and have no 2nd gear pop out...just slap in the detent before you have an issue though. My 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcster88
I think mine was around $2500 or so for IMS fix....mine was dual row bearings, RMS, AOS, and new clutch at the dealer. Give or take a few hundred.
Thats quite the range...2500-3900!
Just got quoted up to 2k for the parts and probably 10 hrs shop time.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
the Getrag transmissions have good updates and are available for $4K on eBay or through reputable sources... why the hell would you pay for a re-build when they don't replace all the bearings.... they only replace what is needed and then 2-3 years later it will come back to bite you in the ***.

you'd rather rebuild vs get a new gearbox... HUH?
Yes. Matt at Gbox gets my call.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9701969-post22.html
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 AM
carcster88
Racer

Dropped car off at the dealer this morning. Trans should be yanked tomorrow....now the waiting game. Did have a nice ride in a Panamera again.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM
silotwo
Banned

Good to know when I need a rebuild. Also, mildly unsettling.

In any event, thanks for the info.

JKC
When I questioned the service manager about my trans at under 23k miles having a problem he did acknowledge that trans problems were known and originally Porsche did not allow dealers to rebuild, only to replace. As to my car, and he felt quite a few others, he blamed it on people not knowing how to drive these cars, he said he had been on many test drives to verify trans problems where people drove them like a big block chevy of old.

I rode along with an instructor during a DE and noticed she was shifting as almost double clutching. I asked her about it after the run and she just smiled and said that's the way the cars are meant to be shifted, no bang shifting, no trying to see how fast you can grab the next gear.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

If you are kidding... Then, pretty good one. Ask Matt about my slippery shifter ****!

If you are not kidding, then let's try to stay positive. I'm not "... going on and on" about anything but I am trying to figure out what to do at 200k, or not.

I am asking questions about these things because I'd like to get feedback from other folks on here. I kinda thought that was the purpose of a forum like this... To try and share experiences and feedback so we can all make better decisions based on collective advice.

Thanks guys,

JKC

PS Have a question about GTec (spelling?) but I'll post it under another heading.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Re-Reading your post... I think I get it. You were saying "Matt" was going on and on about being re-buildable and quoting my car... Promoting the brand. Correct?

In any event, my jury is still out.

I am talking to Jake Raby about a re-manufacture/re-furb at 200k and may still look at the transmission while the engine is out. I have to say that my experience has been pretty good compared to a lot of other posters. But I think I drive my car a little easier.

I also think (and this opinion is very subjective) that the 996 was not meant as a DE/Track type car. I've driven mine a lot more like a luxury GT w/o a bunch of static. I am just wondering if some folks are really pressing the cars into "... service" without upgrades and re-enforcements...

Not trying to step on toes but even race cars need frequent rebuilds and suffer pretty scary breakdowns. This car was built and marketed as a street car. I wonder if pushing them so hard is part of the issue. I think if you are going to DE or Track it, then beef it up.

To be fair, this car has been much more reliable and nearly as exclusive as the Ferrari's in my neighborhood, and it beats the BMW's hands down. My usual response has been that, on balance, it is the best sports car on the planet: Not the prettiest, but up in the top 10; Not the fastest, but up in the top 10; Not the most reliable but up in the top 10; Not the most nimble, but up in the top 10; and you get the picture.

I think if you weigh these things out, the 996 (or 997 for that matter) is a great value.

Again, thanks for the input. It helps.

JKC
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Yes. Matt at Gbox gets my call.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9701969-post22.html
Matt Monson doesn't work with/for is not affiliated with GBOX

Matt Monson owns Guard Transmission which is what the link in your post is showing.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

I think we are talking about a different Matt. This one is at an Atlanta Porsche dealer.

Thanks, though.

JKC

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild time at 71K miles cost breakdown