Sponsored by:

Antiseize on Caliper bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Antiseize on Caliper bolts?

I am about to do my brakes, watched a You tube video that suggest using Anti-seize on the caliper bolts. Is that safe? I can see using it for the rotor screws, but would it cause a problem to have it on the caliper bolts?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
I am about to do my brakes, watched a You tube video that suggest using Anti-seize on the caliper bolts. Is that safe? I can see using it for the rotor screws, but would it cause a problem to have it on the caliper bolts?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Manual says to replace the fasteners when the calipers are off and that's what I do. No anti-seize required.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The steel caliper bolts screws into the aluminum carrier. Anytime you mate steel and aluminum, you should use anti-seize to prevent corrosion and galling the threads. Additionally, the anti-seize also acts as a lubricant when screwing the bolt in, ensuring that the proper torque down value is reached through the tensile force between the bolt and housing instead of friction.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Loctite.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i've never used anti-sieze, nor have I used loctite. IMHO, locktite creates issues w/ gummed up threads. Once, this caused the bolt not to go in straight and wound up messing up the aluminum wheel carrier, to the tune of $1100.

I take out the bolts, and then with a wire brush, clean everything and take it nice and slow.

torque to proper values. never had an issue on or off the track.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Adding anti slip affects the torque value (metal-lubricant-metal now not metal-metal) and you’re more likely to effectively over torque due to the lubricancy of the anti slip and consequently strip the thread.
Clean the bolt and the threads and bolt up as normal.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As Doug said, Porsche recommends replacement of the caliper bolts as one time use. The new bolts are coated with something, easy to see. FWIW, the originals are Allen/Hex, and the replacements I got from Suncoast are Torx (55? anyone?), so be aware if you don't have the Torx, you may get them out but not in without a trip to the parts store. If you want to reuse the bolts, I wouldn't use Loctite Red in this case, way overkill, IMHO, I'd use Blue.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen calipers get so hot on tracked/raced cars that the painted bodies get scorched and discolor. Moderate heat will make Loctite totally ineffective, except maybe the green. That will make disassembly difficult. Certain things on vehicles are susceptible to loosening due to vibration, others are not. If the caliper bolts are, and one tracks/races the best thing to do is use a mechanical locking device such as drilling the bolt heads and safety wiring.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks everyone, I am putting in new bolts, got them at suncoast. I guess I will not use anything.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
Adding anti slip affects the torque value (metal-lubricant-metal now not metal-metal) and you’re more likely to effectively over torque due to the lubricancy of the anti slip and consequently strip the thread.
Clean the bolt and the threads and bolt up as normal.
Yes, you are correct - anti-seize or other lubricants will artificially raise the torque value. But I do believe (also confirmed by someone else) that new caliper bolts come with a compound already applied to the threads, and so Porsche's torque value would be inclusive of using anti-seize.

Quick Reply: Antiseize on Caliper bolts?