996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Problem with door handle... Need help or advice

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Coujer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with door handle... Need help or advice

So this morning I backed out of the garage and had to get out of the car to get something out of the driveaway... The door made like a popping sound and the interior door handle doesn't return into place, its not loose loose but it has play and doesn't stay in place. Kind of just dangles. Anyone know what it could be or any advice? I did a search online for a repair manual or anything to help me but they ain't much out there. Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Coujer
So this morning I backed out of the garage and had to get out of the car to get something out of the driveaway... The door made like a popping sound and the interior door handle doesn't return into place, its not loose loose but it has play and doesn't stay in place. Kind of just dangles. Anyone know what it could be or any advice? I did a search online for a repair manual or anything to help me but they ain't much out there. Thanks
My WAG is the door handle mechanicals have worn out, come loose, broke.

You'll have to expose the insides of the door by removing the door panel.

I have no experience doing this. There might be a DIY on how to remove a door panel. I have not bothered to look for one. The couple of times my car (the Boxster) needed attention in this area I let a Porsche tech deal with the problem. I watched him remove the panel on a GT2 or GT3 and it didn't take him long but the job is tricky and with older cars the plastic is brittle and may have been damaged or abused by someone previously being at the door panel who didn't know what they were doing.

Anyhow, once you get the panel off and get a good view of the door handle I think you'll spot the problem. A new handle is almost certainly going to be required, unless the problem is just a clip that came loose and can be secured and remain secure as the handle is used and the door closed countless times going forward.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have removed the door panel, but for the outer door handle. It was an easy DIY. A cable connection just came loose. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE AIRBAG COVER IF LEATHER! It isn't necessary to remove the panel, just destructive. IIRC, you just remove the pull handle, and maybe a screw or two in the armrest. The rest is just clips.

Let me see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Try this link. You may need to sign in.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Zenski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this happen to me over the weekend. Heard the pop and the inside handle was loose. Pulled off the panel and found that my spring had broke at the handle, got a new spring and it works great.

Also found a great youtube video on how to remove the panel which helped.

Again it's great having the rennlist and renntech to help work your way thru the small issues.

Zenski
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, just had to do this on mine, it's a tension spring. Part number 996 522 015 00. It wares out where it connects to the handle on the inside of the door. The hardest part of this job is removing the door panel. Follow the DIY instructions that are available, especially the disconnect battery part as there is an airbag in the door panel. The spring breaks at the end where the spring hook attaches to the handle. I bent a new hook on the broken spring and reattached, it's working great. A new spring is cheap, I just didn't want to wait for ther part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with door handle... Need help or advice