996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Extreme heat setting off alarm?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 AM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extreme heat setting off alarm?!?

Several times this summer, my alarm has gone off without being disturbed. The only real caveat is that I live in OK and it has been extremely hot here this summer. I've been setting the alarm, pushing the button twice to turn off the interior motion sensor. I had hoped that was all it would take, but it seems to still go off occasionally.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, or have any suggestions that might help?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Living in AZ we are extremely hot as you can imagine. Never had that problem though. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope. Not even in 105 degree temps between super hot track sessions.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Subscribed because i've been having that problem more frequently.
Did you install an aftermarket deck?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Yeah, I was starting to worry about that being the culprit as I didn't seem to have the problem before. But then again, I'd only had the car about a month and a half or so before having the deck installed. I also had a parking brake bypass installed for the video if that's of any consequence?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using a sun shade inside the car? Are you SURE the motion sensor is off? I have to ask because mine does the same thing but I'm pretty sure it's the sun shade moving around.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

It has gone off with and without a sunshade in place. As for the interior motion sensor being off, my understanding is that when you press the key remote arming button twice in rapid succession, you will get a double flash of the parking lights and a beep of the horn indicating the interior sensor is disabled. That is how I always arm my alarm. The horn beep gives me reassurance that the alarm is armed, as the parking lights also flash when disarming (but without the horn).
Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Heat index was 106 yesterday in Miami and climbing
never had that issue with or without sun shield in place.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kenmhall1
Yeah, I was starting to worry about that being the culprit as I didn't seem to have the problem before. But then again, I'd only had the car about a month and a half or so before having the deck installed. I also had a parking brake bypass installed for the video if that's of any consequence?
There's supposed 2 be a wire that needs to be wired into the deck when an aftermarket deck is put in. Otherwise the alarm sometimes goes a bit nuts. Maybe ask your installed to double check? Problem is i'm not sure which wire it is.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM
kenmhall1
Intermediate

Hmmmm...wonder what wire that might be?!? The guys I used were where the local dealer sends their aftermarket installs, so I assumed they'd be familiar with any particular p-car "gotchas"...maybe not?!?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had the problem with sun-shields in the windshield.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly the car interior creaking from heating up? The a/c sets a pretty big temperature difference between parts when dealing with 100+ outside.

Had the wind set off my motion one time I figure. Parked with the windows down a few inches in a secure area and I figure the ir sensor read heatwaves as a body moving or something while I was walking away in front of the car.

I'm more inclined to figure the radio however it manages to do set things off. Possibly the radio might have a timer for powering down thats read by the alarm which thinks its somebody tampering. Maybe read the radio manual to see if there is a configuration to change.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmhall1
Several times this summer, my alarm has gone off without being disturbed. The only real caveat is that I live in OK and it has been extremely hot here this summer. I've been setting the alarm, pushing the button twice to turn off the interior motion sensor. I had hoped that was all it would take, but it seems to still go off occasionally.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, or have any suggestions that might help?
Never had the car alarm go off from the heat (or cold) and I've parked the car in some pretty hot (and cold) temps.

A few times I've had the alarm go off for no obvious reason and traced the reason to a flying insect (small moth) in the car.

If this is going on this can be hard to determine. I was successful in finally spotting the thing fluttering about and splatting the thing with a baseball cap.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

do a search on alarm wire headunit replacement
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the reponse I received from Loren a while back:

Originally Posted by Loren
Originally Posted by porsche-t
I replaced my radio with an Alpine unit and I get the infamous chirp when I turn on the alarm. What color is the wire in the harness that connects to the radio that I have to check? they used the VW/Audi adapter to connect the stereo. I didn't see the loose wire with the spade connector that attaches to the radio frame. Thanks
You likely need to remove the alarm wire from the new radio harness (since it does not support it). Look for a Brown/Blue wire from the original radio connector and remove the pin and tape it (or cut and tape the wire).

Quick Reply: Extreme heat setting off alarm?!?