Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts
Default IMS on a Tiptronic?, nope, it was a water pump

I put this thread up a few weeks ago when after a hour's highway drive my C4 Tip was making a "rotational rattling noise", loud enough to be heard from the driver's seat (top down).

Sounding like a tin box of rocks, I went into panic thinking that it was the IMS bearing. I trailer'd the car 140 miles to my Indy and sought his consolation for my misery.

He called the other day to tell me it was a water pump. I pick the car up this Thursday the 9th of August. We will see how many more miles I get out of the original IMS bearing.

The original thread, to wit:

I suppose there is no reason why a tiptronic equipped car should be immune to engine component failure.

Any one heard of a tip equipped car with a failed IMS? I did a search and yep, tip cars are not immune.

I have the "can of rocks" sound. I plan on flat bedding the car to my Indy. Car has 126k on the clock. I will look at the oil filter tomorrow. Not going to start the car. period.

What the hell, with this kind of mileage, it is as good a time as any to do a refresh as any. I feel blessed I didn't chernoble the engine. Drove the car 75 miles today. Noticed the noise when I pulled into the garage.

Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking good thoughts for you. My local indy thinks that the tips are more prone to problems. But, a local guy who is doing some research on the IMS problem said that he has found the tips to be less of a problem. Who knows...

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I doubt MT or Tip makes a difference. Hope you get good news tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have seen multiple case of both.

Low mileage and high mileage of both -- doesn't seem to matter.

Mike
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

best wishes for your car. I also have a tip and my indy said tips are less prone to IMS woes (fingers crossed).
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding Gretch is that tips are less prone to IMS than a manual transmission, but now you are tilting the scales. Who's your indy?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

EPE in Natick.

Jerry and his crew know their stuff.

At 126k on the clock, it is a good time for a refresh anyway........

Happened abruptly. Car sounded fine on saturday when I waxed it. marbles in a coffee can after a drive to airport and back on Tuesday.

Gonna check the oil filter this morning when I get a break. rear window (it is a cab) needs a refresh anyway, so this is the year.

As posted above, I am relieved it did not STB on the way home and leave me stranded. I like this car, she will be back!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The false notion that tips are less IMS-prone comes from the typical mechanic's lack of comprehension of the basics of statistics. There are simply less tips out there, so naturally the shops would see less of them with IMS...or any other defect.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a theory that the average tip does not generally rev as high as the average 6 speed and that may also have some impact. I would think higher revving engines would also show a higher incidence of IMS bearing failure.

Of course in my case...... the statistics are moot.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
I have a theory that the average tip does not generally rev as high as the average 6 speed and that may also have some impact. I would think higher revving engines would also show a higher incidence of IMS bearing failure.

Of course in my case...... the statistics are moot.

I would think that's true also - in the auto mode, tip will shift straight to 5th essentially 95% of the time the car is running, so the bearing just doesn't revolve as much.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
I would think that's true also - in the auto mode, tip will shift straight to 5th essentially 95% of the time the car is running, so the bearing just doesn't revolve as much.
Yeah, I hear ya but you could easily argue the opposite.

"higher revving engines provide additional lubrication intrusion into a IMS bearing where the seal has already been compromised and that's why you see so few track cars with IMS problems."

This statement above could be crap, the Tip statement could be crap, hell, most likely they are both crap! "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a totsie pop? The world may never know......"
Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soverystout
Yeah, I hear ya but you could easily argue the opposite.

"higher revving engines provide additional lubrication intrusion into a IMS bearing where the seal has already been compromised and that's why you see so few track cars with IMS problems."

This statement above could be crap, the Tip statement could be crap, hell, most likely they are both crap! "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a totsie pop? The world may never know......"
I've read that before and I'm not so sure I believe that statement - bearing grease is way thicker than anything you put in the motor and I don't see how more rotation would make any significant more flow of the oil inside of the bearing. If anything, the cornering and acceleration/braking g loads would soak it somewhat more.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Update.

There is no metal in the oil filter. There is also no oil seepage anywhere on the bottom side of the engine tranny.

I do note that there is a loose baffle on the passenger side muffler that makes noise when I bump the muffler with my fist.

What other symptoms if any should I look for?

I am tempted to start it and listen closely for the (seeming) source of the noise....

What if anything can I do (without destroying the engine) to be certain the engine must come out to have the IMS inspected and or replaced?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

I'd pull the pan and see if there's crap in there / in the oil.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

If bearing goes, does it end up in the sump? I repeat, there is no metal in filter.

Quick Reply: IMS on a Tiptronic?, nope, it was a water pump