996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Moving Climate Control to lowest Din Slot in Lower Console

Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving Climate Control to lowest Din Slot in Lower Console

I am attempting to move the temp climate control to the lowest din slot and am having some issues getting the climate control to push in all the way.

Has anyone else encountered this and can give me some pointers?

Do I have to disconnect the four plugs , shove it into place and then reconnect the four plugs. If so it looks like it would be a challenge to reconnect them.

There is this two prong plastic prong sticking out the bottom of the climate control. Am I correct that the batwing has to come off first to get the climate control in position?

If the batwing has to come out how do I disconnect the two heated seat plugs? I do not see any form of disconnect on them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Don
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

It has been far too long since I did this for me to remember the pieces that you are describing, but I do recall that I had to trim four small ridges in teh white plastic on the back corners to make the thing slide in completely. At the time, I found a post on the Pelican Parts forum describing this. You might do some searches there.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Disconnect the plugs from the back of the temp control unit, reroute down to the lower panel. There is plenty of slack. get the correct bezel from Porsche and install in the lowest slot. I do not remember of the batwing came out but it just pops out anyways, you can also pop the sides off the lower console.

Quick easy job.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM
barlowdo
Advanced

I finally got it in by shaving off some plastic on the top side of the control unit.

Funny I posted this question yesterday and checked back and could not even find the post. It acted like Rennlist was running real slow at the time. Oh well I created a second post with some pics.

BTW - I am still curious how to remove the switch connectors for heated seats on the back of the bat wing. I see no push button release. I tried pulling straight out and it felt like I would break the switch. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
The following users liked this post:
tms699 (06-24-2019)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
dsg7
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know the part number of that lower bezel? I put my ac unit in the bottom slot but cannot for the life of me find the bezel.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg7
anyone know the part number of that lower bezel? I put my ac unit in the bottom slot but cannot for the life of me find the bezel.
996-552-339-00-01C around $6.00
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
tthomasjr
1st Gear

Default Video on moving A/C unit to lower opening

Does anyone know if there is a youtube video with directions on doing this. It sounds simple but I would like to actually watch someone doing it. It may keep me from screwing something up.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

woops
Old 05-04-2015, 10:05 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barlowdo
I finally got it in by shaving off some plastic on the top side of the control unit.
Actually, it should go in with a firm push. The only part that took some time was rerouting the wire loom to the lower position (I didn't pop off the side covers on the console).
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Actually, it should go in with a firm push. The only part that took some time was rerouting the wire loom to the lower position (I didn't pop off the side covers on the console).
Best tool I found for this is a wire worm ... a long thin piece of fairly firm plastic. I zip tied the climate control loom to it and fed it down to the lower console. Took maybe 10 minutes, probably less. And yes, taking the side covers off the console makes it easier.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 PM
curta
4th Gear

Default Problem routing climate control wiring

Hoping someone is still looking at this old thread. I'm trying to reposition the climate controls on my 2004 Boxster to the lowest position (part of installing a double DIN unit. I've search the WEB and everyone seems to say the wiring is tricky, but not a big deal. I've been trying for 2 days and cannot find a rout that doesn't dead end into a closed in part of the dash. I've taken off the side panels, the framework for the lower trays, but when I drop the large black connector through the "slot" there doesn't seem to be any opening large enough to exit out the bottom or side - what am I missing? Any suggestions (constructive) would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I know what to tell you. It was a while ago, but I seem to remember that I couldn't fit all the climate control plugs through the opening at once and had to feed them through one at a time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving Climate Control to lowest Din Slot in Lower Console