Sponsored by:

Sad day... Oil under the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Wow! Scaremongering much? Jump to the extreme conclusion with only a vague description and no photos? What's wrong, is business light and you need to drum up some more? Honestly, a more calm and rational approach is more called for!

Unlike some would like the OP to believe, an IMS failure is NOT lurking around the corner to get every 996.
+1. thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see a group buy discount on the IMSR in our future any time soon
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanasiak
Jake your advice is always welcome to me...

+1
Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Wow! Scaremongering much? Jump to the extreme conclusion with only a vague description and no photos? What's wrong, is business light and you need to drum up some more? Honestly, a more calm and rational approach is more called for!

Unlike some would like the OP to believe, an IMS failure is NOT lurking around the corner to get every 996.
Wow the man most capable of helping the OP of this thread through a potentially devastating problem that he is looking for advice on how to proceed. You make false accusations indicating this man is purely interested in his own personal gain when the OP has already stated he intends to fix the car himself or take it to a independent shop in CA where he lives. So Jake Raby has no chance at the labor & since he no longer distributes the IMSB the OP planned to install eventually anyway exactlly what is the ulterior motive? Maybe he is trying to remember why he pays to be a sponser on this forum? You owe the OP of this thread an apology for convincing the #1 man in the world most capable of helping him that it is not worth wasting his time on. How much longer will Jake Raby continue to risk offering invaluable information for free to those that need it?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are doing an IMS Bearing you can make your own tool, thats what I did.

I just did very similar maint to my C4S. Clutch started slipping so I got my local porsche dealership to drop off a new oem sachs clutch kit, pilot bearing, throwout bearing guide tube, pressure plate bolts, flywheel bolts, rear main seal, IMS Bearing, associated hardware for the IMS bearing.

I went OEM Porsche for everything because I wanted to have it finished same day, so I wasn't able to wait around for am LN retrofit etc. My buddy and I got it into the shop on Saturday night. I have never pulled a tranny on a porsche, but my buddy and I reviewed the diagrams and instructions on Mitchell, AllData, and Porsche before starting. Having a lift was quite beneficial, we had every thing pulled and cleaned in under 3 hours. Ended up the fly wheel was in good shape so no need for replacement right now, then reassembled it monday morning right after Porsche delivered my parts in another few hours.

It is very strait forward, basically remove anything attached or in the way of the transmission, unbolt, drop tranny, replace parts and reassemble the reverse of the removal. The same basic concepts hold true with a tranny and clutch R & R for every manual car, if it is a honda civic, a Nissan 240, a heavy duty ford truck etc.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+2
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep it Civil

Jake's advice on not to start the engine without further diagnosis is valuable - but I also see "Well Ard's" point that there are other potential causes here are may not be IMS. The posters that suggested we need some pictures and advice on checking oil/filter for metal are good. If it was me - and I was close to needing new clutch anyway - I would probably flat bed the car to an Indie for expert opinion and do the IMS while I was in there anyway. Guy's let's try to keep it civil ! My '02 has RMS leak in 2006 - and the seal was replaced by dealer under warranty. No leaks since then. No new IMS either. But $500 for IMSB is still cheap insurance compared to new engine if you are going to do the clutch / seal anyway. To keep it in perspective - I'm sure ~95% our cars are still out there running fine on original IMS. As far as I can tell from this BBS (and also looking at various IMSB removed by local Indie), cars that had spent extended time in storage and/or lack of regular oil changes seem to be more prone to the problem. I'd like to see an analysis of all the IMSB's removed and service/mileage history of the cars that are showing the most bearing wear - that might be valuable data to look at - on the other hand it might not show us anything conclusive either. Until the the debate will continue
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 AM
NZ951
Race Director

My city of half a million people, no IMS have failed and been repaired through Porsche or the top artisan agents.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow didn't think that this thread was going to turn into this haha!

Well I will take pictures tomorrow morning and post when I get home. Hopefully this will shine some light on the problem. I am also going to drain the oil and do an oil change. I will see if there is any ferrous material in the filter.

Jake: I have an IMS Guardian installed. It has not alerted or changed in anyway.

So for those of you who are curious, we will see if I do have an IMS problem and if the IMS Guardian detected it.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Oh no, clearly the IMS guardian doesnt work as the IMS is failing in every car every day! lol
Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

+100000000000000000000000000000

What BS!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Philip P
Wow didn't think that this thread was going to turn into this haha!

Well I will take pictures tomorrow morning and post when I get home. Hopefully this will shine some light on the problem. I am also going to drain the oil and do an oil change. I will see if there is any ferrous material in the filter.

Jake: I have an IMS Guardian installed. It has not alerted or changed in anyway.

So for those of you who are curious, we will see if I do have an IMS problem and if the IMS Guardian detected it.

Damn, you have a Guardian!? Jake, I sure hope your hunch is wrong!!!

Philip, best of luck with the car. I'm sure the leak is a very minor issue. Don't believe the hype!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Wow the man most capable of helping the OP of this thread through a potentially devastating problem that he is looking for advice on how to proceed. You make false accusations indicating this man is purely interested in his own personal gain when the OP has already stated he intends to fix the car himself or take it to a independent shop in CA where he lives. So Jake Raby has no chance at the labor & since he no longer distributes the IMSB the OP planned to install eventually anyway exactlly what is the ulterior motive? Maybe he is trying to remember why he pays to be a sponser on this forum? You owe the OP of this thread an apology for convincing the #1 man in the world most capable of helping him that it is not worth wasting his time on. How much longer will Jake Raby continue to risk offering invaluable information for free to those that need it?
I owe no apology. Yes, I have a great deal of respect of Jake's capabilities, but in this particular case he stepped in and jumped to an extreme conclusion without stopping to gather data and on only a vague description - it was a failure of critical thinking on Jake's part and jumping to a conclusion. If he had come in and asked questions and gathered data, then he would have been helping, but in this case he did not and immediately "diagnosed" IMS failure - it was laughable.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, I have to say I don't see where Jake has labeled this as an IMS catastrophe. He states that it could be, but that is kind of like saying that there may be a tornado heading someones direction so take cover. I think Jake is taking the right approach and not necessarily creating fear but telling the OP that he should act as if this is worst case scenario in preparation for what could be an IMS failure situation.
I myself would rather be overly cautious in this situation and think the worst but hope for the best.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdog
Guys, I have to say I don't see where Jake has labeled this as an IMS catastrophe. He states that it could be, but that is kind of like saying that there may be a tornado heading someones direction so take cover. I think Jake is taking the right approach and not necessarily creating fear but telling the OP that he should act as if this is worst case scenario in preparation for what could be an IMS failure situation.
I myself would rather be overly cautious in this situation and think the worst but hope for the best.
Does the Tornado alarmist in your scenario also build Tornado shelters???

Really??? What are the odds of this guy's **** blowing upon start-up??? I have never heard of this, have you?

I think the term alarmist is giving Jake the benefit of the doubt...

Quick Reply: Sad day... Oil under the car...