Sponsored by:

Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:11 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
Thanks Jasper. I'm doing exactly that - having the car towed home to check it out myself. I'll drop the pan to start with and then the engine to see what's up. I have the time and the space. I'll take it from there.

Gee, I didn't mean to start a firestorm ....
A firestorm (aka sh*tstorm) is guaranteed if the letters I M S and B appear in sequence in a thread....brings out the crazies.

Let's deal with the facts, your motor failed, good chance catastrophically.

I sure would like to come and have a look when there's something to see. Can you PM me?

Also, it will be interesting to see what's inside your oil filter now. It would make a good reference pic if you cut it open.

Bummer though. I reckon it'll cost $20K when all is said and done.

For you yanks listening in, you have to understand that things are expensive here and even when we do look south for parts or services we get nailled at the border for taxes and duty. At least there's no exchange rate worries.

Crap
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
A firestorm (aka sh*tstorm) is guaranteed if the letters I M S and B appear in sequence in a thread....brings out the crazies.

Let's deal with the facts,
Yes let's deal with the facts. The thread header is disingenuous. The rest is as expected for better or worse.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
Yes let's deal with the facts. The thread header is disingenuous. The rest is as expected for better or worse.
Maybe so. I should have just said I had a major engine meltdown - but I was just repeating the diagnosis from an experienced shop who had just seen three. Let's face it - I just went into shock.

To be continued ... with pics.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 AM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper
I sure would like to come and have a look when there's something to see. Can you PM me?
Will do.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I like reading this stuff, but I now have the Guardian.
+1
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eidolon
+1
If I wanted to make sure I sold IMS upgrade kits the first thing I'd market is a product like the guardian. Every engine makes metal - every single one - and the gaurdian is a relitively simple chip detector. As such it will ultimately detect metal (perhaps just from normal wear) and then you'd take the next step - an IMS retrofit irresepctive of the necessity. IMS Guardian - result - retofit kit!!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Billyboy,

I believe I was contacted by your friend Dave tonight about your engine issue. The shop your car is at has a good reputation for a reason, I know the service manager personally, as does Jasper, and have bought many cars from them.

That said, give me a ring or drop me an email and we can discuss some options for you. We are extremely busy right now but lets figure out exactly what is wrong and see if we can work something out for you.

Cheers
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just out of curiosity, does insurance cover an IMS failure?

My older brother once drove a car through a huge puddle and water ended up getting into the engine and warping the heads... insurance paid for a new engine.

I know that in the latter point, there was an instance of an outside factor (water) which it technically collided with, but I am still curious as to whether or not it would be covered since a car would also be covered by insurance if it were to go on fire for example because of a mechanical failure.

Why don't you give your insurance company a call and ask? I assume that you have "full coverage" and you can always argue that you suffered a loss of your vehicle due to an unforeseen and unpredictable event.

After all, is not the purpose of insurance to cover you in case "**** happens"?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
Just out of curiosity, does insurance cover an IMS failure?

My older brother once drove a car through a huge puddle and water ended up getting into the engine and warping the heads... insurance paid for a new engine.

I know that in the latter point, there was an instance of an outside factor (water) which it technically collided with, but I am still curious as to whether or not it would be covered since a car would also be covered by insurance if it were to go on fire for example because of a mechanical failure.

Why don't you give your insurance company a call and ask? I assume that you have "full coverage" and you can always argue that you suffered a loss of your vehicle due to an unforeseen and unpredictable event.

After all, is not the purpose of insurance to cover you in case "**** happens"?
Uh, sorry sport, it doesn't work that way. Nice try though.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I was waiting for Jake to chime in til I heard a rumor that he was relaxing on a wi-fi free beach in Negril, spliff in one hand .308 Noveske in the other, popping coconuts in the surf.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that by the time I got to page 8, Goodwin's Law would have reared its head again, regarding conspiracy theories.

Anyway, billyboy, I implore you to keep us informed. Thanks in advance.

Parts be with you,
Targatoo
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Western Performance
Billyboy,

I believe I was contacted by your friend Dave tonight about your engine issue. The shop your car is at has a good reputation for a reason, I know the service manager personally, as does Jasper, and have bought many cars from them.

That said, give me a ring or drop me an email and we can discuss some options for you. We are extremely busy right now but lets figure out exactly what is wrong and see if we can work something out for you.

Cheers
Jeff are you a Brit?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
dnitake
Racer

>>Using a "hardened" aftermarket bearing is WRONG!
Ceramic harder bearings don't need as much lubrication viscosity.
Motor oil is lower pressure than a good grease as long as it's there.
Want ceramic if you open a ball bearing up to the sump.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 AM
mirek
Instructor

Any updates? Were you able to take it apart?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
roperin
Track Day

Ok, i'm very sorry for your problem with your engine. I have had nitemares about this. i had no idea about IMS failure until after i bought the car. I have however had an engine Oil Analysis done after every 5000 mile oil change and so far it shows no wear from anything like a bearing. I have asked other forums about whether this is generally seen as a good guide to approaching problems , particularly IMS problems but never received a reply. whats the general opinion?

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!