street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds fishy. Second opinion a must.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from the shop - he said he checked the codes when it arrived and they indicated it was firing on only two cylinders when it stopped. They then pulled the end caps for the cams and the cams were in the wrong position relative to each other, basically indicating internal carnage. He felt it wasn't worth the expense of a teardown just to confirm. They have dealt with three others recently. Can't see why he would bull**** me because either way I would get the engine.

Trapperdog: the interior of the engine destroys itself - no need to look at the bearing itself.

996_North - that's what I was thinking - this issue was for low mileage cars ....

Hurdigurdiman - It's a respected shop in town. I'm not pulling your plonker - I'm into a bottle of scotch on a Monday night.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 PM
mirek
Instructor

Sorry to hear that dude, which shop if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by mirek
Sorry to hear that dude, which shop if you don't mind me asking?
Weissach
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
Just came back from the shop - he said he checked the codes when it arrived and they indicated it was firing on only two cylinders when it stopped. They then pulled the end caps for the cams and the cams were in the wrong position relative to each other, basically indicating internal carnage. He felt it wasn't worth the expense of a teardown just to confirm. They have dealt with three others recently. Can't see why he would bull**** me because either way I would get the engine.

Trapperdog: the interior of the engine destroys itself - no need to look at the bearing itself.

996_North - that's what I was thinking - this issue was for low mileage cars ....

Hurdigurdiman - It's a respected shop in town. I'm not pulling your plonker - I'm into a bottle of scotch on a Monday night.
Well, at least you know. Bummer.

Now you have to think about your options.

Don't rush into a decision if you can avoid it. And save some of that Scotch. This problem can take a while to sort out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 PM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, at least you know. Bummer.

Now you have to think about your options.

Don't rush into a decision if you can avoid it. And save some of that Scotch. This problem can take a while to sort out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks Macster. I think I will just tow it home, pull the engine myself to see what it looks like. Then I will decide to replace or sell. My head's still swirling - no time to make a decision.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
mirek
Instructor

They are definitely a good shop.

If you decide to sell, let me know, I may be looking for a project.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
Thanks Macster. I think I will just tow it home, pull the engine myself to see what it looks like. Then I will decide to replace or sell. My head's still swirling - no time to make a decision.
From the details it doesn't sound like the engine is a good rebuild candidate. but do not give up hope. More below.

Anyhow, I'd lean towards a factory sourced replacement engine, but the cost can be prohibitive.

And if the old engine can't satisfy the core requirement... it gets worse.

For instance, I looked into a replacement engine a while back for my 02 Boxster (the engine is ok I was just curious) and with a core, around $16K. Without, add another $10K. And then labor to R&R the engine on top of this plus whatever else (flywheel/clutch) needs doing...

But get some real numbers and shop around. Sometimes dealers offer engines at a good price.

Before you pull the engine or even tear it down, you might see if you can speak to an experienced Porsche tech and see if he'll share with you some of the checks he does (at the factory's behest) when determining a sick engine (under warranty) is suitable to repair/rebuild or if it must be replaced. I spoke with one a few years ago when I came across a 996 engine with a very bad IMS bearing (the engine was in pieces and the bad IMS with its chewed up bearing race was in plain view on a bench) but I would not trust my memory to advise you. Best you get this info straight from the horse's mouth.

If you can get a list of the checks you can approach this teardown with the possibility that if the engine is rebuildable you learn this with the minimum of time/effort on your part and you do not do anything that can render the engien non-buildable (or unsuitable to serve as a core).

Or if the engine is not rebuildable you know for sure and cut your losses.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 AM
billyboy
Racer

Thanks for your input Macster. It's a good idea to talk to a factory mechanic before I go too far regarding a rebuild if I decide to go that route.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 331 Posts

There was a used (original) engine for sale here for a reasonable amount a few weeks ago. Don't remember if it was 3.4 or 3.6, or if it's still available. You could also go the LS1 route for less than half the amount of a new Porsche engine. Sacrilegious, I know, but more power and a lot cheaper.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

It's worth a call to Jake at Flat6...
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 AM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to go the rebuild route, let me know. I took Jake's course and would be happy to help out.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When was the last time (mileage passed) since your last oil change?
If you did it yourself did you inspect the filter for metal particles?
Did dealer or indy do the oil change?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

thats really bad luck sorry to hear. Keep us posted on you progress. Someone on 6speedomline was selling a rebuilt motor for much less than that so you might want to check it out.
For the rest of us a harsh reminder, 2k now or 20k later, get a replacement IMS, it hurts reading about this.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

With the IMS Guardian able to detect other impending failures other than the bearing going south....just wondering if this would have sounded an alarm and made a possible engine save.

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!