996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012 | 03:49 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve2112
I guess it is up to an individual choice, and I am at least glad there is an aftermarket choice to begin with for the things that Porsche AG won't talk about or give stats on. If they were more forthcoming with that information I might have acted differently - so by doing that Porsche scared me, rather than the IMS vendors using "scare tactics" - they just gave me the choice to either ignore it like some have done, or get the "insurance policy".
I thank the vendors out there that gave me a choice - I personally wasn't scared into it, just a decent investment in a car that can be quirky (and ALL models have their "thing" if you read the buyer's guide for all the generations as many of you know - the air cooled models have their own plights and things to fix).

Regards,
Steve
+1 Exactly. Right on the nose. Choice.

Actually 99.9% success rate is only 0.5 failures on 500, or 1 in a 1000.

Sorry, just the engineer thing in me...
Old 05-17-2012 | 04:18 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by perryinva
+1 Exactly. Right on the nose. Choice.

Actually 99.9% success rate is only 0.5 failures on 500, or 1 in a 1000.

Sorry, just the engineer thing in me...
LOL yeah, I'm not surprised my math was wrong. I forgot to move out the decimal an extra place in my head. I probably should have pulled out a calculator. In my defense, I haven't slept in 5 months. I'll update my post to correct my feable math skills. lol

-Eric
Old 05-17-2012 | 04:20 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

And mine's a BSME from Worcester Polytech, so please point out in my post where I am incorrect?
I could do that, but with only an undergraduate engineering degree I doubt you would understand. (Just kidding!)

I see bearing wear and R&Rs all the time in large industrial equipment regularly.
And I see anklyosing spondylitis all the time in large industrious men regularly...doesn't mean that I would diagnose it in an adolescent with a stiff neck

Since there is no pressurized oil flow to the bearing, retrofit or not, the inclusion of metal debris from parts unknown in the engine passages to the IMS bearing are slim to none.
Quote from LN's website:
we have had five engine failures total where the single row ceramic bearing was found to have failed (although not conclusively as the cause of the engine failure, given there are dozens of known modes of failure and secondly, these are open bearings susceptible to damage from foreign object debris).
I suggest Charles is the person you should (try to) set straight on this issue. Personally I favour the hypothesis that the failed bearings are the result of hackneyed installation, but I've no data to back it up which is why I continue to call it an hypothesis.

I have to have faith that Jake, who has an extremely good, and long reputation,
As a mechanic, no doubt. As an engineer? He isn't one. And as a marketing guy, well, the best I can say is that his "Tick Tick Boom" campaign and multitude of impassioned postings on various fora were what created the aura of cynicism and suspicion as to his entrepreneurial motives. It wasn't the first time nor will it be the last, that a well-meaning visionary was, as Shakespeare put it, hoist by his own petard. But I grant him likening to the Jonas Salk of the M96 engine. Without his contribution, we'd all be blissfully paddling up shyte's creek.
Old 05-17-2012 | 05:24 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

I love Big Bang,too...always cracks me up when they ping Howard for "only" having a Masters..

And I agree with everything you said (except that I was as quite incorrect). I know the LNE bearing is open, so of course it is susceptible to foreign matter. But, I read that as "if there was inadequate cleaning prep before the bearing was put in, then **** happens". I agree, bad or hackneyed installation is a more likely call. I also wasn't aware that they've had 5 pre-mature failures to date.

As a I minored in Shakepeare, (much prefer the comedies, though) and that is one of the few lines I know from Hamlet, since it refers to an engineer, it is actually "hoist with his own petard", but the meaning is the same. Still, nice to see all gearheads aren't totally devoid of cultcha..

Jake is selling his product, I agree. Of course, his view is biased, because he naturally sees the worst of the worst, after it's too late. His perspective is certainly going to be unique, so his somewhat "sky is falling" perspective has to be tempered with intelligent thought. I don't see it as "Tick Tick Boom", but for those that do, well fine, then don't buy his product. I certainly didn't for that reason, and I knew all about the IMS bearing debacle before I bought my car 4 years ago. I've said it many times in other posts, the ONLY reason we see so much angst and debate over the IMS bearing is beacause there are too many unknowns and it is EXPENSIVE when it happens. If it was $1000 repair, instead of $15k, no one would bother with any of this. But when it happens, as it has, I can feel the pain. I can't wait to read what the OP finds. I'm betting it is NOT IMS anything, in this case. Nothing fits, well, IMHO. Just a case of "easy diagnosis" for the layman, it appears to me.

And I thought anklyosing spondylitis was mostly genetic, not size related...learn something new all the time.
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:01 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

I love Big Bang,too...always cracks me up when they ping Howard for "only" having a Masters..
Not to derail another perfectly good IMS discussion but Big Bang is one of the funniest shows on TV today. There really isn't a weak character in the cast (IMHO).

-Eric
Old 05-17-2012 | 07:43 PM
DrScientist
Rennlist Member

i've been away from the forum for a bit, but it's nice to see the ims situation still eliciting hundreds of responses and posts on a reply.

i'm still not running a guardian or replacement at 56,000 miles, but recently changed oil and i'll be sending it in for analysis. still love it and drive it like i stole it.

sorry to hear about the OPs car.
Old 05-18-2012 | 01:31 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrScientist
i've been away from the forum for a bit, but it's nice to see the ims situation still eliciting hundreds of responses and posts on a reply.
Yeah, it's been kinda slow here, not even a decent oil debate in a while, so IMS is about the only thing left you can depend on...

Adding Blossom as Amy Fowler knocked the laugh out loud factor up a a notch. The perfect character and compliment to tie the females to the males in another way. Even my wife, who isn't into geek humor, loves to watch it. Seriously, my favorite show.
Old 05-18-2012 | 01:38 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Red face

Yeah, it's been kinda slow here, not even a decent oil debate in a while, so IMS is about the only thing left you can depend on....
Not when the threads keep getting shut down... which is kind of annoying because it's just about the only subject that keeps me reading here. Yeeeeeeuuuup, yup, yup... guess I will go back in my lurk hole again for another two or three years until it gets exciting to read posts here again. (LOL)
Old 05-18-2012 | 10:50 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Jake is selling his product, I agree. Of course, his view is biased, because he naturally sees the worst of the worst, after it's too late. His perspective is certainly going to be unique, so his somewhat "sky is falling" perspective has to be tempered with intelligent thought. I don't see it as "Tick Tick Boom", but for those that do, well fine, then don't buy his product.
It was Jake himself who created the "Tick Tick Boom" slogan for a print ad. (For the record I had the retrofit done w/clutch replacement, because I feel it's a well-thought-out product, and worth the $600 as against a $25K engine.)

And I thought anklyosing spondylitis was mostly genetic, not size related...learn something new all the time.
Every disease is "genetic" even if in no other way than in the variances in response of individuals' immune system to the insult. We don't really understand ankylosing spondylitis all that well. But AFAIK it isn't size-related and I didn't mean to imply that it is. It is also seen in adolescent and even pediatric patients although the majority of the time it's diagnosed later in life.

I

As a I minored in Shakepeare, (much prefer the comedies, though) and that is one of the few lines I know from Hamlet, since it refers to an engineer, it is actually "hoist with his own petard", but the meaning is the same. Still, nice to see all gearheads aren't totally devoid of cultcha..
As I minored in chemistry, I'm more qualified to describe the molecular structure of a petard than to accurately quote the Bard of Avon
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:14 AM
Targatoo
Pro

I think we should simply block all other threads and just have one, ongoing IMS debate. 137 pages of back-and-forth, quasi-substantiated bickering. The ratings would be through the roof.
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:18 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Targatoo
I think we should simply block all other threads and just have one, ongoing IMS debate. 137 pages of back-and-forth, quasi-substantiated bickering. The ratings would be through the roof.
You would need a new Forum mod if we did that.... I would be in a rubber room.
Old 05-18-2012 | 03:13 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
You would need a new Forum mod if we did that.... I would be in a rubber room.
No problem. Just label it "No Moderator On Duty Enter At Your Own Risk."
Old 05-18-2012 | 03:19 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

But see, I see this particular thread as positive, with a comraderie type of ongoing arguement, not how some degenerate in to useless insult matches. We can't shut this one down until we hear what the results of the OPs teardown is. It's exciting, more so for us than the OP, I'm afraid. Still doesn't compare to the dotframe's wife thread, though....
Old 05-18-2012 | 07:43 PM
billyboy
Racer

Thanks for all the entertainment while I tear my engine out guys!

Question - I have everything disconnected except the fuel lines - the manual I have is for a MK1 (mine's a MK2) and the diagram makes no sense for my car.

Parts guy said upper left of the engine compartment ... Maybe I'm just tired - can't find them. Guidance? Pics? Anybody?
Old 05-18-2012 | 10:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

10 pages.... What da?

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!