Sponsored by:

Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The fuel line runs by the coolant expansion tank.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it - thanks Ahmet
Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by Targatoo
I think we should simply block all other threads and just have one, ongoing IMS debate. 137 pages of back-and-forth, quasi-substantiated bickering. The ratings would be through the roof.
NO DOUBT BRO! Seriously, thats a thread I come back to read daily... lets face it this list is as much about entertainment as it is about information. Not much need for much of the information being posted ("Help me make a decision about which wing to put on my ride... SERIOUSLY!!!! <<<<BOOOOOOORING>>>>>")

Needs some DRAMA and ENTERTAINMENT up in hea!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
billyboy
Racer

Default Flash!! NOT the IMS bearing!

Well folks, it's not the IMS bearing after all. Sorry for sounding the alarm bells but that's what the shop told me so I was just passing it on. When I found out it was going to cost me huge bucks for a new engine, I thought well, I'll pull the engine myself and see what I can salvage and go from there. Surprise.

So, the bearing is solid and runs freely. No grease inside, but it was full of oil. There were some small shavings of non-ferrous metal in the oil filter and even fewer ferrous bits. No chunks or bits in the pan at all.

Now to find the real problem: I've included a picture of the cam positions at TDC and three appear to be in the correct position and one is off, meaning what? I'll be looking at the cams in the next few days ... could it be just a jumped chain on one sprocket - a bad tensioner - is that possible? What would the damage be - just bent valves? What else could it be?

Also, does anyone have or know where I can get a MK 2 manual? I'm working with a 3.4 manual and too much is different.

Thanks for your input and again - sorry for the alarm bells.

Last edited by billyboy; 08-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 PM
MB_Fahrer
Instructor

Here you go: http://repairinfo.alldatadiy.com/Por...nual_H2t70.php
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 332 Posts

BillyBoy - you should edit the title of this thread to remove the IMS reference for the sake of future searching.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoohooo!! Great news for you!!

I love it when I'm right, too!! not the right telltale signs, but obviously if there was oil in the IMS itslf, the bearing was compromised and needed to be replaced, anyway. Damage can't be but SO bad, then. Can you pull the plugs and look inside with a boroscope? If the piston heads look good, then it might just have been a failed chain, or if damage to one piston, a failed valve spring which caused that side chain to jump..but sounds rebuildable to me. Maybe not by you, but a good Porsche indie. Metal found is metal found, so the source has to be traced and the out of sync. Was the grease seal on the IMS bearing still there? If not, that is likely the non ferrous bits you found. Maybe even a bit caused no oil flow and you spun a bearing...

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
billyboy
Racer

MB - thanks!

wyovino - done

perryinva - thanks for the happy guys - I'm a little shy to do that too soon myself!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
billyboy
Racer

perryinva - (had to stop for supper) - Don't have a boroscope but will take the cam cover off this weekend to see what's up. Good idea though. The seals were still on the bearing. I really doubt there was any shrapnel from it - it's really solid, though I will replace it. Yes, fingers crossed, little damage and a "light" rebuild just may do it. OK, one jumper:
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

First off - phew. Good luck for you....the edge of the woods are in sight even though you're not exactly out of them yet.

Secondly - let's review the lesson that a few of us have learned today (with me near the front of the class) :

Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

Gotta be honest....I'm a little disappointed in the guys at Weissach. A less adventurous guy would have coughed up the $25K and had them install a new engine without a second thought.

I'm xcited to hear what happens next Bill.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Your a good man for posting the update. Many thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 AM
billyboy
Racer

Hah! Thanks Jasper - Yes, if money wasn't an issue I probably would have just sighed and said "Do it". But there was also the fact that I really needed to know what the issue was. If I had ordered a new engine, my old one would have gone back to Porsche as a "core" and I would never have known.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time here on the forum eaking out all sorts of info, and other forum members and friends were kind enough to loan tools, expertise and muscle. Thanks all.

Last edited by billyboy; 08-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 AM
mirek
Instructor

Hope you call Weissach and demand your money back for diagnostics.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
Your a good man for posting the update. Many thanks.
+1000000000000000

Good luck with the fix billyboy, and please change the thread title if it's still possible. If the time has run out for billy to change it maybe the mods can help. Mods?

As far a Weissach, what a fuc*ing joke. Were they trying to pull a fast one or are they just ignorant on the I&)* issue? Either way it's a joke and shame on them.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Billyboy; I wish I could offer some help but, instead, all I can offer is my thanks for following up on the thread. I really admire you guys that have the knowledge to drop an engine and start investigating.

This has been entertaining and educational to watch. All I can say is, next time I'm in White Rock visiting my bro, maybe we can meet up for a beer (and maybe by then I'll have convinced him to trade his BMW for a 911, too)!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!