996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OZ951 - interesting read - especially some of Harteck's input.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
Thanks OZ951 - interesting read - especially some of Harteck's input.
No worries, you guys are both in an unfortunate position, perhaps there might be something useful that comes out of you being in touch with infrasilver (Chris).

Sorry to hear about your situation by the way.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Bill - I find myself thinking about your progress now and again.

How is it going?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

And if I might ask a dumb question here... what does the IMS do anyway? Does it only drive the oil pump on the front of the motor or does it have some other purpose such as supporting the timing chain as it runs up to the cam from the crank? And are there two timing chain assemblies... one on the front and one on the back?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trapperdog
And if I might ask a dumb question here... what does the IMS do anyway? Does it only drive the oil pump on the front of the motor or does it have some other purpose such as supporting the timing chain as it runs up to the cam from the crank? And are there two timing chain assemblies... one on the front and one on the back?
Hey Trapp;

The primary function of the IMS is to drive the cams.

When the bearing fails, the shaft starts flopping around, the chains skip the sprockets, the valves hit the pistons.

A total catastrophe.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trapperdog
Hey Trapp;

The primary function of the IMS is to drive the cams.

When the bearing fails, the shaft starts flopping around, the chains skip the sprockets, the valves hit the pistons.

A total catastrophe.

But that's not what happened to Bill. In his case a chain broke. I can't remember if any valves hit pistons, but a much gentler failure anyway.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
billyboy
Racer

Hi Jasper - funny you ask, I just did my parts order two days ago. Decided it should be a fall project - long nights ....
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bill.
I'm glad to hear you are going to be getting on with your rebuild soon. If you need any long distance help you know where I am.

I managed to recently finish my rebuild after having exactly the same issue with the chain snapping. I finished it few weeks ago after a 3 month period and only being able to work on it at weekends. After talking to you I have no doubt you will breeze through the rebuild. I found it fairly easy and I really enjoyed (most of the time) spent doing it. Yes there were days when I couldn't find the info I needed or struggled with something but I'm back on the road and enjoying my Targa again.

One tip I have is to make sure you lap the non bent valves in as three of mine were fine and sealed perfect with the valve spring on but when lapping them in I found they were very slightly bent. This would let the car run for quite a while without issue but the valve stem would fatigue over time resulting in the valve head possibly dropping into the bore with obvious catastrophic results.

Have you worked out the total extent of the damage?

Good luck with the rebuild.

Chris.

Last edited by infrasilver; 10-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM
billyboy
Racer

Hi Chris. Glad your rebuild went well and thanks for the support. My engine tear-down was fascinating and I'm looking forward to getting back into it again. The only damaged parts were the chain, the intermediate shaft (damaged gear teeth) and one oil extraction pump so not bad at all. I'll do tensioners, clutch etc. as well while it's all apart. But I will look at my valves - they seemed perfect ... but now I'll double check. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you're going to come out ahead Bill. A few dollars down perhaps, but richer for the experience.

If it's not too gauche to ask...how much do you think you are going to end up spending on this project - not including the clutch work?

Hopefully I can catch up with you again come the winter time. I hope I never have to go through this - but I sure like to see it happening.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 AM
billyboy
Racer

I'm a lucky SOB Jasper. Under $3000 without the clutch.
Parts: $3000
Grey hair: doubled
Experience: Priceless!

Hey, GLWTS on CL
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billyboy
I'm a lucky SOB Jasper. Under $3000 without the clutch.
Parts: $3000
Grey hair: doubled
Experience: Priceless!

Hey, GLWTS on CL
Lucky SOB indeed. You're an inspiration to us all Bill. I will be very impressed when this project is complete.

As far as the sale goes... I threw it up one night on a bit of a lark. I really really like the car, but I got thinking about how I wanted another motorcycle, and a pickup truck and an old BMW project, and an air-cooled 911...the list goes on.

So I threw it up there at $32K which I think is pretty fair given the new clutch and flywheel and the coilovers and the sway bars and the RS motor mounts and the arctic silver on black....but I did not get a single hit on it. Not one.

It's probably the high mileage (200,000 km now) and the mods which don't appeal to a lot of *ahem* gentlemen Porsche owners.

I'm afraid it's my car forever, but life could be a lot worse. It runs like a champ, it handles and responds razor sharp, and I know a guy who can rebuild the motor for me if the chains break ( that's you - j/k)

Oh yeah - I hadn't driven the car for several months until just this weekend. I have been riding my BMW K75S full time until I ran into the back of a Honda Civic last weekend!

No kidding. I smoked her at about 20 mph, flew over the handlebars, landed on the roof of the car, rolled off and you know what - no injuries! OK, one thumb was twisted and the other hand was tingly for a few hours, but two days later I can't tell.

Bike is bent though...at least the fork tubes and front wheel are, and the fairing is trashed. That's my winter project. A set of used forks are on the way as we speak.

I hope I learned my lesson....A strong message has been delivered by who or whatever manages these things:

Pay the f&^ck attention where you are going when riding a bike! This time I bent your bike - Next time ...

Scary stuff.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Check the bike frame, really good. Usually when ypu bend the forks, the frame goes too. There is a way to pull it back but that requires a pulling jig that not too many bike shops have.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the valves got a pucker factor when the chain broke so the pistons couldn't hit them.

The big one that would make me think no piston to valve contact would be a weak clutch slipping when a piece of chain link jammed things before the falling apart chain link completely broke apart. Then with the jammed oil pump jamming the cam chain running off the crank stopped the crank also leaving the clutch slipping. Only thing that would make sense to me for you to get away with no contact.

Good deal if its an east fix.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 AM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper
... I ran into the back of a Honda Civic last weekend

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Glad you are OK and hope the repairs are straightforward. You are a lucky man. I rode my bike all summer too, putting a lot of miles on the old Ducati; one of the reasons I've not been in the garage wrenching. The only bruise I got was a speeding warning ...

Interesting you had no bites on your car. As of yesterday there were two other 2002 C2's around the same price locally with way less in the way of upgrades ... but maybe you are right about the gentlemen Porsche owners. Well, a nice car to get "stuck" with Jasper!

Bill

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!