Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Washing the car - Foaming using regular hose/adapter - Leaf blower dry questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Hi Guys,

I’m looking into a new washing method for my car and I was thinking of adding the following to my regime:

1. Electric Pressure Washer for foaming the car - Would you guys suggest a 1800 PSI or 2000 PSI one? Also, what is a good foaming solution and what % of mix should I use?

2. Electric leaf blower for drying – What do you think of a 12A leaf blower? Does that have enough power?

I still plan to use the double bucket wash system after the foaming....

If you guys have any additional tips, spit them out please!!

Thanks,

Alin
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

1. As for "foaming," just use the right mix of water and cleaning agent in the bucket. Hitting the car with a pressure washer won't clean your car nearly as well as using your mitt and if you're already planning on using a bucket then I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by adding another step. You also run the risk of destroying any thin paint or helping any paint chips grow if you use too much pressure. Nothing good can come from this.

2. As for the blower, it's going to blow crap all over the car you just cleaned. When you aim it at the rockers or lower portions of the doors or bumpers, you're going to start blowing around dust and crap that's on the ground or underneath the car. This is a very small car. It just doesn't take that long to dry. Besides, now you've just dirtied up the car you just spent all that time washing. Just hand dry it with a good chamois or blade. Open the doors, trunk and engine cover and let all of the excess water drain out. Then use a separate dedicated drying towel to dry out the door jambs and all of those often forgotten areas.

My $.02,

-Eric
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

1. As for "foaming," just use the right mix of water and cleaning agent in the bucket. Hitting the car with a pressure washer won't clean your car nearly as well as using your mitt and if you're already planning on using a bucket then I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by adding another step. You also run the risk of destroying any thin paint or helping any paint chips grow if you use too much pressure. Nothing good can come from this.

2. As for the blower, it's going to blow crap all over the car you just cleaned. When you aim it at the rockers or lower portions of the doors or bumpers, you're going to start blowing around dust and crap that's on the ground or underneath the car. This is a very small car. It just doesn't take that long to dry. Besides, now you've just dirtied up the car you just spent all that time washing. Just hand dry it with a good chamois or blade. Open the doors, trunk and engine cover and let all of the excess water drain out. Then use a separate dedicated drying towel to dry out the door jambs and all of those often forgotten areas.

My $.02,

-Eric
Thanks for the $0.2 cents. As I mentioned in my last post of this thread, I do not like pressure washers and never use them. I just wanted one for the foaming ease/application that it comes with.

Foaming a car link:

Foaming a car is used to loosen dirt particles before a wash. So my goal, which will now be done through a regular garden hose with an adapter for the foaming solution will be to foam the car properly and let it sit for a good 5 minutes in the shade of course. Then I would rinse it off with the hose/water and continue washing as usual (double bucket/wash mitt). I always do the rims and tires last, as I clean them with a cloth.

Now to drying... it looks like a few people are for blow drying it, and a few people are not for it... I might try it out as the leaf blower is not that expensive, and it wouldn’t hurt having one for actual leaf blowing... If it doesn’t work out well, then I’ll continue my usual process of with the California Blade and chamois/towels for the jams and other sections as you pointed out as well. But hopefully it will work out well, as my car paint is corrected and detailed by a pro once a year, it water pretty much just glides off it with ease. Hence, just blowing it off.

I want to find some rollers for the buckets as well.... I noticed some pro’s have them instead of picking them up all the time. Also they have rubber around the top edge all around so just in case if they hit the car, it should be ok...

Thanks for all the input folks! And I’ll keep you guys posted on what works for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I currently use this car shampoo: Meguiars
http://www.carcarenut.co.uk/images/LgProd/G17748.jpg

And I use this wash mitt:
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Regular sponges or cheap wash mitts leave streaks. Also I clean the California blade after every swipe.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I need to find one of these adapters, but for a regular garden hose:

Last edited by Topaz330ci; 05-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
j-mann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wash mine with gutter water and dry it sandpapaer
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess im old school.... bucket, water, hose..etc. works pretty well!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 809 Posts

If you want to blow-dry the car, pick up something like this made for motorcylces:

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I really like this technique for final rinse and drying:

After washing, I rinse with a quick light spray from the hose nozzle. Then, I remove the nozzle, and give a very quick rinse with the slow, unrestricted flow from the hose. Most of the water sheets off of the car, leaving only a few large droplets behind.

Then, I complete the drying process with microfiber drying towel. There is so little water left on the car, one towel dries the entire car with no wringing.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every time my wife says I obsess over my cars too much, I show her one of these threads.

A good soft mitt, a good car wash like Maguires, and clean soft cotton or microfider towels. That's all you need and you won't damage your finish.

Regular waxing and a clay bar teatment once or twice a year and it will look great forever.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j-mann
I wash mine with gutter water and dry it sandpapaer
Why do you need to use water? Paper towels work fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
Why do you need to use water? Paper towels work fine.
Don't forget the soft scrub.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb2448
For me nothing less then the human tongue will do. Takes a bit longer, unless you make it a family affair and it may freak the hell outta the neighbors..... but what do they know they drive a Toyota Prius

Do you find the saliva strips the wax?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have never had good luck with the leaf blower (130 mph so they say on the one I bought). Gets all the tight spots, rims, engine compartment, but not so good on the large surface areas. Seems to take me longer to dry my car with the leaf blower compaired to the micro fiber towels.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Foaming a car is used to loosen dirt particles before a wash. So my goal, which will now be done through a regular garden hose with an adapter for the foaming solution will be to foam the car properly and let it sit for a good 5 minutes in the shade of course. Then I would rinse it off with the hose/water and continue washing as usual (double bucket/wash mitt). I always do the rims and tires last, as I clean them with a cloth.
Bah, unless your car is covered with caked on dirt, I'm not sure I see the value of letting soap sit on your car for 5 minutes before washing it off. If you've ever left a dirty car outside in a heavy downpour you know that when you come back to it it's still dirty. Letting it sit for 5 minutes is going to waste 5 minutes of your day when you could just start cleaning off the dirt with your mitt...which you're planning on doing anyway. After 5 minutes, it's also possible that it's going to start drying up and leaving spots.

-Eric
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I need to find one of these adapters, but for a regular garden hose:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I just ordered this the other day. I will let you all know how it works when I get to cleaning. Which at this rate with amount of work I have may never come....

Quick Reply: Washing the car - Foaming using regular hose/adapter - Leaf blower dry questions?