Sponsored by:

Replaced regulator, new problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced regulator, new problem

The passenger window was not dropping the 1/2 inch when opening but I could push the window down with my hand. Went to my local P Dealer yesterday and picked up a new regulator and installed today. Install went easy and the window now drops the 1/2 inch as it is supposed to.

The problem now is that the window will not go all the way down. It leaves about an inch of the window showing. I read about resetting the window and tried the procedure where I roll it all the way down and hold for 5 secoends and back up and hold for 5. I've tried that several times with no resolution.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Brad.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the driver's side regulator. It needed to be adjusted. I'm thinking yours might need adjusting too. There are rubber grommets on the bottom of the door that pop out for access. Took some fiddling to get it right. good luck
Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I replaced the same part this weekend. The new regulator had a stop which is not required. You need to remove it and everything will be fine. Check out this link and the comment about the extra stop which prevented the window from going all the down. Same with mine. Remove and you are home free...

http://www.kevinlaird.com/window.html
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

My driver side window is also starting to play as well. Do I need to buy just the regulator or do I need a regulator with the motor. The motor sounds like it is working fine, but the window makes a cracking sound when operational.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be opening up the door again tonight...
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dr_r2r
My driver side window is also starting to play as well. Do I need to buy just the regulator or do I need a regulator with the motor. The motor sounds like it is working fine, but the window makes a cracking sound when operational.
Could be the regulator. The wire gets stretch and or bound.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yank_my_chain
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be opening up the door again tonight...
With the door panel removed, bring the window down to about four inches higher than the door. Look at the left side of the regulator where the window clamps in. There is an adjustment screw to lower and raise the window, There is also a stop when the window is opened all the way. You will probable see another stop ~2 inches above the bottom stop which will cause the window to not open all the way. Remove that stop.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Ok, I replaced the same part this weekend. The new regulator had a stop which is not required. You need to remove it and everything will be fine. Check out this link and the comment about the extra stop which prevented the window from going all the down. Same with mine. Remove and you are home free...

http://www.kevinlaird.com/window.html
Thanks for the Link, I just confirmed with my Porsche Indy that my Pass Window Regulator is on its way out.
Making Crunching and Creeking Noises
I might DIY it or pay my Indy $175 to do it for me :P

Last edited by Zookie; 05-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
mikes_996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the window regulator it's one of the microswitches... If you lift handle from outside with door closed and it doesn't drop then it will be the door lock actuator microswitch gone bad. Unfortunatey you can't just change the switch you've got to do the whole locking mechanism.

Quick Reply: Replaced regulator, new problem