Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cab Clamshell Broken Hinge Arm - (UPDATE w/more pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:28 AM
Roofless 1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

Not sure how much the mechanism has changed since the one I repaired on my 996. If it’s fundamentally the same, then the caution is not to try and open any further than you have in the photo. Opening the back shell when the latch is locked is almost certainly how the hinge arm gets broken, and that is a PITA to replace (though it may already be broken, causing your latch to remain hooked)

if you can see into the drivers side under the backshell (to get a reference for the failed mechanism on the passenger side) you should see the round lug on the backshell hinge where the latch engages and locks down the backshell. In 4th Child’s image above, it is the round lug just above where the hinge has broken. This is up near the front of the backshell. If you look below that lug' you should see the retracted latch with a brass coloured control arm that operates the latch. That is the arm that is actuated to release the clamshell before the rack and pinion drives the hinges to lift the clamshell. The control arm goes most of the way to the back of the vehicle and may be accessible.

Alternatively, you may be able to see/reach the latch through the little side wings that flap up beside the back shell in the last stage of opening the canopy.

Now we enter the land of pure conjecture… the key to getting the backshell unlatched is to try to unlatch it before the hinges are under strain. Once the hinges are trying to lift the backshell, it is likely that the only way it will open is by breaking something. Therefore, I would perform all your attempts to unlatch in the first stage of closing the canopy, as those flaps drop down. You might want to try pushing down on the backshell and jiggling it a little on the passenger side, while someone else operates the canopy. If the backshell lifts on the drivers side, but is still stuck on the passenger side. Stop and go back for another attempt.

A small investment in a bore camera for your phone would likely be worthwhile so you can see what is happening under the backshell at that crucial time when it first unlocks.

Once you get it open, unbolt the backshell from the hinges… clean and lubricate all the moving parts, inspect the hinges and latch mechanism for damage. And check/top up the hydraulic fluid. In my experience (having followed Frisbee’s experiences) these tops are pretty robust, but if they are neglected, they will eventually fail. Mine has been faultless since I replaced the broken hinge and gave everything a good clean and lube. Coincidentally installing a new battery to better power the system may have also been part of the solution, or it may simply be coincidental (the battery was failing around the time when my canopy hinge broke, and I’d had several abnormal opens or closes in the week prior).

Good luck!

A quick additional thought… the backshell is attached to the hinge arms by two bolts on each side (bolt is part of the backshell and is secured under the hinge with a nut… you can see one of the bots in 4th Child’s picture). I think the nuts are 13mm. You will likely need to use a ring spanner as the bolt is too long to get a socket on there. Working with someone holding the back of the backshell to prevent it flipping backwards off the hinges once disconnected, you may be able to first undo the drivers side, then reach through the flap on the passenger side to undo the front bolt, providing enough play to access the final rear bolt. With the backshell off the hinges you will be free to access and repair the mechanism. CAUTION! The backshell is reasonably light and not very strong. Be careful not to bend it if you go down this path. This has not been tried as far as I am aware, so please proceed at your own risk. There may be more conservative methods of getting at the bolts through the seat backs.

Last edited by Roofless 1; 07-31-2023 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 07-31-2023, 01:05 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread might help you figure out how to undo the stuck latch. From your picture, It looks like 2 of the 3 latch hooks are disengaged. You need to unhook the third one on the right side. See the thread below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-top-part.html
Old 04-29-2024, 10:19 PM
davesly
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is possible that some clamshell inop problems are caused by a clamshell motor shaft that comes disconnected with the motor. Porsche sells a repair kit for that shaft, part# 99656167301. I made a Youtube video on how to install this.

The following 2 users liked this post by davesly:
Billy_Baroo (04-30-2024), JohnCA58 (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Cab Clamshell Broken Hinge Arm - (UPDATE w/more pics!)