996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to drive a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

OP means Original Poster, in this case, you. You said you enjoy the sound - do you have a modified exhaust? If not, get FisterD's (do a search) Best bang for the buck.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 919 Posts

OP means "original poster".

Glad you got what you needed.

We may bicker a little bit in here from time to time, but it's all good. And that's a fact!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Variocam is innovative? Honda offered v-tech in 1989 and bmw came out with VANOS in 1992, at the same time as Variocam was introduced in the 968..
I said the variocam *plus* was innovative. Increasing the valve lift at higher rpm was absolutely an innovation.

Components being made to higher tolerances and balanced with more precision means that they should last longer with no extra effort for the owner. It does not mean the car needs to be driven differently..
I never said it did. I said that it allows Porsches to be driven harder with higher performance results than the average car.

Ok, so with that better engineering (debatable) and build quality, why does it need to be driven harder?.
Doesn't need to be (IMS comment notwithstanding) I said it *can* be without worrying too much.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that these engines reach max oil pressure pretty close to 3000rpm, which is then held to that max with a "blowoff or bypass" somewhere near 75 or 80psi.
Not according to my oil pressure gauge.

No one is suggesting you only drive below 2000 rpm, but that doesn't mean occasionally cruising at that level is bad, dangerous, or lugging.
Occasionally sure - just not the default mode of operation. Likewise excursions to redline.

....there is absolutely no benefit to the engine in revving the snot out of it.
Umm yes there is (duh)- higher engine speeds mean higher roadwheel speeds. The benefit of revving past the peak of the power curve is to ensure that you are on the the fat part of the power/torque curve when the next gear is selected. We can certainly argue about whether there is a benefit to driving fast but there's no argument that if you want to go fast as possible you will *clearly* want to run the car to redline .

....If you want to drive it hard, thats your business, but higher revs=more wear.
But if done occasionally then not so much more wear that it should be a concern. Is there even a benefit? I think so.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Rindner
By the way, what does OP mean? My reason for putting this out there was to try to understand the spread between high-rev, sludge burning driving and relaxed low-rev, spark plug-loading up driving. I'm more concerned with the damage that might be caused by the relaxed, early-shifting style described in the "40-50, 4th gear" scenario. I bought this car to drive it like a well-powered sports car - that also gets me to work and back in a way that is entertaining and often enough, exhilarating. Yeah, I care about gas prices but that was dialed into the eqution when I made the purchase. According to the computer, I'm averaging just under 17 mpg, so maybe I'm a little speed-happy just 4 months in this car. And yeah, I like driving fast and don't get off on the status symbol side of this - maybe just the opposite. I like this car for the beauty, the speed, the control and the sounds...and for being so engaging on the road. As long as I don't have to flog it to keep it oiled and sparked, I'm a happy guy. That's what I learned from this. The guy with the Red Porsche in Jacksonville proves it. The guy in Texas with the Black Porsche proves that I can drive at speed and revs if I chose to and not fear an early grave. I need this car to last for a while but I would have bought a Honda Civic if that was my only need. I'm looking for a balance between driving this car as though it was built to be driven fast - and having the sense to know that stress is stress, no matter what the engine was designed to do. You guys have more than filled in the blanks for me. Thanks again.
Sounds like you've been doing just fine on your own Mark. Keep it up.

Don't mind us - it's just alpha types arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be a member of a 968 board. There was a lot of vitriol and argument over there. The board got hacked, and I sold my car. Now, I am here.

I am a lawyer by trade which means I have to argue and nitpick for a living. It also means I enjoy a good spirited debate... Tempered with a sense of humor about some things... I hope we can continue to have that here. Personal attacks should be squelched as well as hyper-sensitive responses...

With that being said... My 2 cents (with no scientific data but logic).

+++

The harder you drive, the more friction you create and the more heat you create and the more (oil) viscous breakdown you create... Correct? (Does that apply to synthetics)?

If a piston weighs a certain amount and has to stop from going in one direction (the exhaust stroke) and change to another (the power stroke)... The faster it is going, you need more energy to stop it and turn it around... Correct?

If your crankshaft is transferring this energy, the more it flexes or wobbles, ever so slightly... Correct?

If your crankshaft is flexing, the geometry of your pistons and rods is changing... Correct?

If you're generating more heat, your piston rings and cylinder walls are also expanding... Correct?

If your piston rings are a different material than your cylinder walls, then they expand and contract at different rates... Correct?

And, if you have any foreign matter in your oil, it will score either the piston ring or cylinder wall or both... Correct?

A horizontally opposed engine keeps the center of gravity low (because it is flat), but also increases some of these forces and concerns because it is easier and requires less effort to change direction on a v angle... Correct?

Porsche has been (and almost certainly still is) built very well... Correct?

Every reciprocating engine has very similar wear concerns (depending on angle of the piston and materials used in construction and quality of construction)... Correct?

Porsche is near the top of this but not perfect... Correct?

They try to build cars to be durable and race worthy and road worthy and affordable... Correct?

+++

So, with all of that in mind, I say to drive "... Polite but Firm." And maintain it.

Meaning, I see no harm in squeezing the car or stretching it out a bit, but I do not subscribe to the "... drive it like you stole it" mentality... Which, by it's very title, implicates you do not care about the life of the car.

I've pulled alongside Vipers and Corvettes and I've always felt Porsche was a different breed of cat. The car will get you where you need to be... Both geographically and performance-wise, but you need understand and appreciate what you've got... A very well-engineered road car with quirks but style.

By analogy, my watch is a 1971 Rolex with a leather band (inherited). Great watch and classy and performs well, but there are others out there that keep better time. I love it (because it is part of me) but no one would pay me what anything for it... Still, it gets me where I need to be, performs very well, and is very classy. Timeless... Like a Porsche.

+++

Drive it, stretch it, enjoy it but don't abuse it. So, I'd stay away from redlines.

My guess is that is what Porsche (the old guy not the company) would have wanted.

All of this assumes daily driver.

JKC

PS 996, 168k on the clock. Daily Driver.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides rpm on a cold motor, do not ask the motor to give you torque when the motor is cold. Once everything is all warmed up go go go. As you approch a stoplight in forth gear @ 45 mph practice down shifts seamlessly before you hit the brakes. It is much easier to practice toe heeling when you are not using the brake peddle. Rev match to 3rd only now your going along at 44 mph and then 2nd and you are going 41 mph. THen stop at the stop sign or light. You will be a half way to a pro at toe heeling.

The key to long life (engine) is clean oil and smooth driving.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Top fuel dragsters are built for high RPMs but need to be rebuilt after every run. I stopped taking my car to 6000 rpms and now take it only to 5000 rpms. IMO redline is too much stress but what do I know.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
JRW-910
Intermediate

This thread was interesting to read. I'm a new owner and have been conservatively shifting for the most part. I have been using my 996 as a daily driver and have been able to average 24mpg as reported by the OBC. Maybe I'm not having enough fun!

-JRW
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A bit testy today aren't we? And Nitro isn't even posting!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCreasy
I used to be a member of a 968 board. There was a lot of vitriol and argument over there. The board got hacked, and I sold my car. Now, I am here.

I am a lawyer by trade which means I have to argue and nitpick for a living. It also means I enjoy a good spirited debate... Tempered with a sense of humor about some things... I hope we can continue to have that here. Personal attacks should be squelched as well as hyper-sensitive responses...

With that being said... My 2 cents (with no scientific data but logic).

+++

The harder you drive, the more friction you create and the more heat you create and the more (oil) viscous breakdown you create... Correct? (Does that apply to synthetics)?

If a piston weighs a certain amount and has to stop from going in one direction (the exhaust stroke) and change to another (the power stroke)... The faster it is going, you need more energy to stop it and turn it around... Correct?

If your crankshaft is transferring this energy, the more it flexes or wobbles, ever so slightly... Correct?

If your crankshaft is flexing, the geometry of your pistons and rods is changing... Correct?

If you're generating more heat, your piston rings and cylinder walls are also expanding... Correct?

If your piston rings are a different material than your cylinder walls, then they expand and contract at different rates... Correct?

And, if you have any foreign matter in your oil, it will score either the piston ring or cylinder wall or both... Correct?

A horizontally opposed engine keeps the center of gravity low (because it is flat), but also increases some of these forces and concerns because it is easier and requires less effort to change direction on a v angle... Correct?

Porsche has been (and almost certainly still is) built very well... Correct?

Every reciprocating engine has very similar wear concerns (depending on angle of the piston and materials used in construction and quality of construction)... Correct?

Porsche is near the top of this but not perfect... Correct?

They try to build cars to be durable and race worthy and road worthy and affordable... Correct?

+++

So, with all of that in mind, I say to drive "... Polite but Firm." And maintain it.

Meaning, I see no harm in squeezing the car or stretching it out a bit, but I do not subscribe to the "... drive it like you stole it" mentality... Which, by it's very title, implicates you do not care about the life of the car.

I've pulled alongside Vipers and Corvettes and I've always felt Porsche was a different breed of cat. The car will get you where you need to be... Both geographically and performance-wise, but you need understand and appreciate what you've got... A very well-engineered road car with quirks but style.

By analogy, my watch is a 1971 Rolex with a leather band (inherited). Great watch and classy and performs well, but there are others out there that keep better time. I love it (because it is part of me) but no one would pay me what anything for it... Still, it gets me where I need to be, performs very well, and is very classy. Timeless... Like a Porsche.

+++

Drive it, stretch it, enjoy it but don't abuse it. So, I'd stay away from redlines.

My guess is that is what Porsche (the old guy not the company) would have wanted.

All of this assumes daily driver.

JKC

PS 996, 168k on the clock. Daily Driver.
Whew! I agree with everything you just said. The laws of physics don't change just because a car is drop dead gorgeous. Your logic is crisp and your conclusions flow from it. And your odometer doesn't lie. Will you be my ticket lawyer?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Originally Posted by jasper
Sounds like you've been doing just fine on your own Mark. Keep it up.

Don't mind us - it's just alpha types arguing for the sake of arguing.

This forum has become part of the allure of my car. It's better than facebook in my opinion. When I bought my high-mile 996, I checked around to try to see if there was any concrete reason NOT to buy it. I got so much varying and opposing input, I just said F___it! I'm going for it. I'm in the car business and know a thing or two about the machinery. We like to say, "Oil is cheap, parts and labor are pricey." I'm a believer in over-maintenance. The guy who had it before me was a mature real estate broker. Didn't appear to be an abusive sort.
Anyway, here I am parsing the finer points of driving with a bunch of alpha-dogs. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
Top fuel dragsters are built for high RPMs but need to be rebuilt after every run. I stopped taking my car to 6000 rpms and now take it only to 5000 rpms. IMO redline is too much stress but what do I know.
I agree. For me, 6000 is the new redline and 5000 works just fine for sprints to 100+.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Jaster quoted:- and for god sakes don't gear down to slow down.

Originally Posted by wyovino
I've never heard this mentioned before. Is this commonly accepted? I do this a lot of the time when driving my Tip in manual. Should I stop?
Neither have I and I don't think it is commonly accepted. I am an advanced ex cop driver and was taught to use my gears up and down the box except in an emergancy situation where you have to hit the brakes hard. ..... Gears are there to be used up and down the box. If they slow the car down to where there is no need to brake.. (which they do on a high compression engine as the 996) then all well and good. It saves my brakes and my right foot. When my revs drop below 2500 I am dropping a gear and it don't matter which gear I am in when I do it. When I get real slow in 2nd I leave it there for a stop but I come down the box as a motor cyclist would. The one I dont use on stopping is the first gear. Do you all find that there is no need to rev during the gear changes coming down the gears. Porsche engineers thought that one out and did it for us. Just another little tit bit why Porsche 911 engines are in the top class of all engines on the street or tracks.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Jaster quoted:- and for god sakes don't gear down to slow down.

Neither have I and I don't think it is commonly accepted. I am an advanced ex cop driver and was taught to use my gears up and down the box except in an emergancy situation where you have to hit the brakes hard. ..... Gears are there to be used up and down the box. If they slow the car down to where there is no need to brake.. (which they do on a high compression engine as the 996) then all well and good. It saves my brakes and my right foot. When my revs drop below 2500 I am dropping a gear and it don't matter which gear I am in when I do it. When I get real slow in 2nd I leave it there for a stop but I come down the box as a motor cyclist would. The one I dont use on stopping is the first gear. Do you all find that there is no need to rev during the gear changes coming down the gears. Porsche engineers thought that one out and did it for us. Just another little tit bit why Porsche 911 engines are in the top class of all engines on the street or tracks.

Well this would be a topic for another thread but think about it....

Gearing down through 4 or 5 gears every time means that your clutch hydraulic cylinder has to go through 4-5 complete travels, the throwout bearing has to go through 4-5 cycles, the clutch diaphragm also, and then there's the friction plate. Clutch parts are expensive and they are buried deep inside the car.

Brake cylinders on the other hand don't travel through a stroke, they just transmit a force. Likewise the master cylinder - in my world I press it once then it stays depressed. Brake pads can be changed in 30 minutes for $50.

Dynamically, using the brakes slows all four wheel and keeps the forces even. In your world you're loading the front when you brake, then loading the rear when the lower gear hits. jerky back and forth - presumably you're not rev matching - unless you're heel and toeing - and it doesn't sound like you're that kind of guy.

About 90% of the cars on the road are automatics. In the vast majority of these situations the car stays in top gear while the driver slows down with the brakes only. If cars were meant to be slowed down with gears then more automatics would gear down appropriately.

Of *course* you select lower gears when necessary to keep the car at the correct revs in traffic or when you're planning to accelerate out of a corner *totally* different story. You select the correct gear for whatever forward motion is going on.

If you're slowing to a stop sign and using the gears to slow the car down then that is ...well just dumb.

Brakes pads are cheap clutches are expensive.

edit: just re-read your post.....as a motorcyclist would??? Are you serious??

The last thing I want to do when I'm riding my bike is pump the clutch lever in and out and risk locking up my rear wheel as I pull up to a stop sign. Do you even ride a motorcycle?

Last edited by jasper; 03-16-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman

Uhhhh, no. This is wrong on all kinds of levels. I ride a bike and drive a stick, and doing this is bad, bad, bad.

All this talk about heel toeing........ really? You guys heel toe on the way to work? You can't be serious. Track days and DEs, yes, on the street is just silly. If you're driving on the street in a 996 to the point that you need to heel toe you're an idiot, and being reckless.
This thread IS fun!!!

Quick Reply: How to drive a Porsche?