996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How Strong is your Stomach???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Heck, I'd buy it if I was in the market. But then again, I actually am colorblind (sort of), so I'll have to take your word for it that it's awful.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wikipedia says that nephrite shouldn't be confused with nephritis, an inflammation of the kidneys.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd strip it down and make it a track car...seriously, I would.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have been on the forum for over 2 years you may remember that someone was selling a 996 turbo.....with Nephrite green interior....and Nephrite green exterior! And the full dark wood package!!!!!

That car made me cry. It could have been a contenda!! But it was a loser...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

As others have said - the green woudl be tough to take, but for the right price (like $30K) you could buy it and swap out the seats and carpet and steering wheel for relatively low cost. The vomit factor woudl be acceptable then.

Now...withregards the tip. I'm a stick guy all the way. Always have been and (I find myself hesitating as I type this) I always will be.

You see, I took a brief burn in a 997S with a tip recently - my first tip ever.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I like green. I wanted a green interior. But the Nephrite Green left me very worried that all these negative comments would be directed at my car someday. So I didn't. Doesn't mean I don't like it. Maybe with a white exterior. Have see it with Speed Yellow. Now THAT got my attention! LOL! And the afforementioned Turbo in Double Nephrite was a regular at my local DE track for a few years. I was never really convinced that was a good combination. But I still like green. Just not that one.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
As others have said - the green woudl be tough to take, but for the right price (like $30K) you could buy it and swap out the seats and carpet and steering wheel for relatively low cost. The vomit factor woudl be acceptable then.

Now...withregards the tip. I'm a stick guy all the way. Always have been and (I find myself hesitating as I type this) I always will be.

You see, I took a brief burn in a 997S with a tip recently - my first tip ever.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.
Are you sure you didn't drive a PDK.

I drove a 996 C2 tip and the the torque converter system on the tip leaves a lot to be desired IMHO, at least compared to the 6 speed. On the other hand, the 2009 997 C2S PDK I drove was VERY nice.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Are you sure you didn't drive a PDK.
Umm well, I just checked with my mom and she confirmed that I'm not an idiot - so yeah I'm sure it wasn't a PDK. 997.1S didn't come with a PDK for starts....

To put my comment into context - I don't drive a lot of automatics, pretty much a few beat up old pickup trucks at work and my dad's old PT cruiser is it....and some rental cars I suppose.

I was expecting slushy shifts and being in one gear too high all the time...because that's been my experience with automatics so far.

I put the tip into sport mode and the shifts were crisper than I expected (no, probably not as crisp as a PDK - which I have not yet driven) and it geared down for me as I braked in to a familiar turn near my home.

Not saying it's as good as a PDK or even a manual...just saying it wasn't as bad as I expected. It's all relative.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I like it.

I see so many Porsche's with gray or black interior, it's nice to see something different.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
Umm well, I just checked with my mom and she confirmed that I'm not an idiot - so yeah I'm sure it wasn't a PDK. 997.1S didn't come with a PDK for starts....

To put my comment into context - I don't drive a lot of automatics, pretty much a few beat up old pickup trucks at work and my dad's old PT cruiser is it....and some rental cars I suppose.

I was expecting slushy shifts and being in one gear too high all the time...because that's been my experience with automatics so far.

I put the tip into sport mode and the shifts were crisper than I expected (no, probably not as crisp as a PDK - which I have not yet driven) and it geared down for me as I braked in to a familiar turn near my home.

Not saying it's as good as a PDK or even a manual...just saying it wasn't as bad as I expected. It's all relative.

WTF - Who called you an idiot? "I just checked with my Mom", are we revisiting grade school here?

In your first post you did not mention the car was the MKI version so how was I to know? My only point was that my impressions of the tip left a lot to be desired.

Drop the sarcasm and I'm sorry if I hurt your delicate feelings...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

For those of you that have never driven a tiptronic...it is a pleasant surprise. My first 996 was a tiptronic. I sold it because I bought my 6 speed 996 and saw no reason to keep both. Everytime I drive in traffic, I miss the tiptronic. If I ever sell my current 996, it will be to upgrade to a 997tt with a tiptronic. I'm not surprised the tiptronic 997tt is faster.

Quick Reply: How Strong is your Stomach???