996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Guilty!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Guilty!

Okay, so last night at the Saratoga Auto Musuem, Saratoga Springs, NY, our local Porsche dealer put on a really nice launch party for the new 991. Hors'doeuvres, wine and beer (open bar), all courtesy of the dealership. (not too shabbby). First guess about 100 people attended. Aside from the amazing collection of storied P-cars that are on display there right now (this is where I was up close and personal with the 918- when it was "in-the-house" last year), they did the official, local launch of the 7th generation of true sports car legend.
So, a little "Rocky" music added a bit of levity, then they wisk the black cover off a black (oh yeah!) 991S with grey leather seats. (ONLY $111,K+ *gulp*). At the other end of the runway, where the wife and I were mingling, they drive a seal grey(?), 991S ($131K+, *double gulp*) onto the museum floor. Sounds great (but, I like the sound of the Fister's better under throttle load- *inital impression*). The car looks great in person, way better than the pictures. I don't like the new sunroof, opens outside the car and hangs over the back window. Inside, plenty of headroom (I'm 6'2") didn't have enough time to get the seat just right. Dash is big, the switchgear is better than expected with its tactil feel. I am not a PDK guy, so I would have loved to see the 7 speed rower, but I realize they will sell more PDK's so they played to their audience. I like the a$$, except the rear fenders don't have that awesome bulge I so love on the GT3/RS's. Also, can't see the engine in the back.....disapointing, just two fans and a 3.8 moniker. The 20" sneakers, mean larger contact patch, more weight, but also more expensive when it comes time to replace the sneakers.

Overall, I must say this 7th gen, (hmmm, 991S, gen 1/mk1?) has lived up to its hype in that, it is gorgeous, and the black one was a real beauty, a super model of super sports cars, for sure. Would I drop over $100K for one of these babies, simply, NO. I want to see what the new 991 GT3/GT3Rs looks like. That might just drop the price enough on the 997 verisons to make me stop and really think,......but for now, guilty as charged, it is beautiful I do love it.

BUT, for me, I still love "my consolation prize" and I will pull the cover off her ***, give her a nice pat, smile, fire up a cigar and tip a single malt scotch and count the days until Spring arrives and I can get her out on the road/track some more. I own her outright. The cost of entry on the new one is seriously steep, too steep in my opinion. Every bit worth the momentary dream, but not enough to consider getting rid of my "ole" gal right now..she's still a keeper. Until track season open.............
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you can work out a deal on a special 997 by mid summer.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a chance to check out the 991 at the Philly Auto Show this year. IMO.. It felt just like sitting in the 997 with better exterior styling. That yellow looks fine though!!
Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I think silver is the new green. Remember when the 997.2 was rolled out and a huge percentage of the initial release cars to the dealers were Porsche Racing Green Metallic with tan interiors and PDK? These particular cars, like the ones you saw, were Porsche Cars North America ordered to be what they believe and wish their ideal customer will order... their ideal customer is not the hard core enthusiast.

On January 24th, our dealer did their 991 roll-out to the public and they had a silver one and a black one just like you described at Saratoga. I am certain they are not the same vehicles as yours because these two are still sitting on the dealers floor as of yesterday.

There were also over a dozen 991's at the Rolex 24. Six were in the garage/paddock. Two of those were the pace/safety car,. and the other four were on display (including a Guards Red one, a dark blue one, and the new Racing Yellow. All were the S models and all had PDK. There were a couple at the Porsche AG tent in the infield, and four more in the parking area below the tower that were being used for ride-alongs on an autocross course. The drivers were instructors from the Porsche Performance Driving School. Anyone (who knew what was going on) could jump in with the drivers for an extremely hot 2 laps of the course (I picked the Racing Yellow 991S not because of the color, but because the instructor was a female! Can't wait to go back to PPDS again! LOL! No female instructors the last two times I went. LOL! And SHE was the fastest of the instructors there!)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice. I'm heading to one of these "launch parties" tonight. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"I will pull the cover off her ***, give her a nice pat, smile, fire up a cigar and tip a single malt scotch and count the days until Spring arrives and I can get her out on the road/track some more"

I don't know how you guys survive having a real winter!

Last weekend here at the track was amazing

Last edited by dotframe; 02-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try to make it to the launch party this Saturday night at my nearby dealer. Problem is that I might get hooked with all the "hype" and newness. But $100k+++ ?? Yeah, I am waiting for depreciation to kick in in a few years.... (sigh)
Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Local launch here is Saturday night at a downtown Raleigh art museum.

I went to the Saratoga museum Porsche display last fall. It is wonderful and if you live within a few hundred miles you should find time to go before it closes.

That said, a few of the cars on display are a bit short of concours-ready (the 356 Speedster in particular). But the racing cars are amazing.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
SWK6Cup

Sure makes sense that PCNA would spec the first cars to arrive over here for us to see, based on their market research, of course.

Thundertub:, while I still can take you up on that awesome offer to come South and visit, I am in complete agreemetn with you regarding female instructors (especially if they are sharp and fast...I say they don't know how easily they could have me....lol)...oh, BTW: Chris, don't get any ideas, I will not search you out if you wear a dress/heels, regardles of how fast you are......lol)

Chris: No, a 997 anything is not in the immediate future..........distant future, that is the plan, but nthing by mid summer, except perhaps a promotion into Black run group with my black car. She's my keeper.

Dotframe: When you have spent a large portion of your life on the East Cost, and you enjoy winter, you learn to accept and deal with it. I have lived in So. California, yeah its pretty and th area has nice weather, (great canyons for biking and killer drives, (nice beaches, too) but, not my preferred cup of tea a bit too mellow/laidback. I am way too young for Florida, (I don't want to upset the actuarials), and I am not a fan of heat and humidity...having said that, to park me fat **** on the beach, in early March, as a precurser to our Spring, yeah, a nice plave to visit, but I lived there for a very short while when I used to work on private yachts, and that won't happen for me in the forseeable future.
Basically, I like the East Coast, a days drive from where I want to be/need to be. So, yes, winter clothes, winter shoes, snow tires, and P-car tucked away and hibernating...its all part of the suffering we "hearty NorthEast Coasters" endure for those amazing, fantastic, bright sunshine, no humidity days of Spring and Summer and Fall. Once we hit spring, connecticut wrapper cigars, switch to clear liquids and no socks........
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, maybe a 997 GT3 is more to your taste.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm also heading to the launch party tonight at Park Place. Want to see the 991 in person before I comment.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Country911,
Since you love the full effect of the seasons, I recommend Spring Break! We have a DE at Roebling Road Raceway in Savannah, Georgia, on April 21-22. That should get you past the snow by then and is a great time to enjoy the "Awakening of the Horses." LOL! Make it a real vacation trip by taking the long way to or from - via the Tail of the Dragon east of Asheville, NC. Bring your significant other, spend one of those days touring Savannah and another full day touring the Biltmore Estate in Asheville (she will be thrilled - remember it will be SPRING and everything well in bloom that far south). Let me know - I'm instructing that weekend at Roebling. Also, I could use anothert trip to the mountains if you need a wing man for the Tail. LOL!

Who knows, maybe there will be a 991 at the track by then.

Mark
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went to one last Saturday at Porsche of Silver Spring, MD, it was very, very nice, they had some older Porsches and race 911s around it. Also had the 24 Hr Rolex on a big screen going on.
I like the new 911 (991), can't wait to get behind the wheel of one to feel her out on the road.
The only item I found odd was the sunroof is very large and integrated in the design, just doesn't seem to open very far. Not that I am a sunroof person.
Highly recommend attending one - have fun.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
SWK6Cup

Mark:
Mid-late April in Georgia, hmmmmm, and of course, if one was to be traveling that far, might as well hit VIR, which I am frequently told is a legendendary experience. Not sure these two are int he cards for early, this year, but maybe later on. I am trying to scehdule NJMP and Tremblant, but we'll see. Georgia, prolly take me a good 15 hours of driving to get there.......food (or tarmac) for thought. And if it would fit, I would certainly look you up for a tour and some coaching.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
SWK6Cup

Chris:
A 997.2 GT3 is certainly my taste, and so is it's stronger sibling the RS (doesn't that stand for "Real 'Spensive"?) just not in my budget.....

Champagne taste, (for sure....-who out there doesn't like/appreciate the finer things available in life?) .......moonshine budget? (not a big beer drinker, here). But in the end it is not how fast you get "there" just make sure you arrive.......baby steps.

Quick Reply: Guilty!