Sponsored by:

Side Skirt Mounting Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Side Skirt Mounting Help

I have MKI side skirts on my 2003, I'm going to put on MKII's in the spring.

I was looking at them today and started taking them off to see how they are attached. I know the aftermarket ones like Duraflex have a two sided tape along the top to attach them to the car. This requires sanding of the paint to attach them and then new paint on the car.

When I looked behind the side skirt there was a metal strip screwed to the rocker and the side skirt slides down on to. The metal strip has a small gap at the top and the skirt has a lip on the inside. The lip slides over the metal strip and makes a very solid bond.

Here is my question: Is this how the factory skirts are installed? If so, are the MKII side skirts from the factory installed this way also? And if they are...

Here's my real question...if they are will the factory MKII skirts slide on to the MKI metal strip that I already have on my rocker???

Does anyone know? Does anyone have factory side skirts that were replaced so you could see how they're mounted???

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
norcoastal
Pro

If no one knows, can someone direct me to a site that will show a detail of a factory side skirt or factory installation?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Be sure to let me know when you're ready to sell the MK1s.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve, I don't know if this will help, but I recently installed the OEM factory MK1 aerokit on my 996. The bottom of the side skirts are screwed onto metal clips that attach to the underside of the car. At the front and rear of the skirt, they are attached to the car by a single bolt. Finally, the upper edge of the skirt is attached by a adhesive strip (similar to two sided tape) that adheres to the paint.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
norcoastal
Pro

I'm getting closer. I found the part number, it's 000-044-802-15. I looked in a service manual and it seems as if the metal strip I'm referring to is factory.

I think that's good news.

So I need factory side skirts, anyone selling them?

Down South, you're the person who asked me if I'm selling these before right?

Mfletch, I'm not sure, but the service manual has a diagram of the metal mounting strip that I described.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe that the early MK1's had the mental strip and then were replaced by adhesive on the top and screws to clips underneath.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:17 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Does anyone know for sure???
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by norcoastal
I'm getting closer. I found the part number, it's 000-044-802-15. I looked in a service manual and it seems as if the metal strip I'm referring to is factory.

I think that's good news.

So I need factory side skirts, anyone selling them?

Down South, you're the person who asked me if I'm selling these before right?

Mfletch, I'm not sure, but the service manual has a diagram of the metal mounting strip that I described.
That is correct. I asked about these a few weeks ago when you first posted.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Ok. When I sell these I'll contact you. Hopefully soon.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

The PET for the MK1 show the side skirts being mounted on a metal strip as you described. The later versions are mounted with double sided tape. It sounds like you have the early versions mounted to a metal strip.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
norcoastal
Pro

It's that's the case, I guess it doesn't matter if I get aftermarket for 400 or Porsche for 700? They both attach with double sided tape.

Does anyone know that the Porsche ones have double sided tape FOR SURE?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

I would not buy aftermarket based on sometime fitment issues. Buy OEM either used or new. I believe I stated that the Porsche ones are screwed into clips underneath and double sided tape along the top..
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 PM
D2000
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Steve, I don't know if this will help, but I recently installed the OEM factory MK1 aerokit on my 996. The bottom of the side skirts are screwed onto metal clips that attach to the underside of the car. At the front and rear of the skirt, they are attached to the car by a single bolt. Finally, the upper edge of the skirt is attached by a adhesive strip (similar to two sided tape) that adheres to the paint.
Originally Posted by pmkazz
I believe that the early MK1's had the mental strip and then were replaced by adhesive on the top and screws to clips underneath.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but can anyone provide me with the part number for the MK1 aerokit skirts. I'm keen to get the version that attach with adhesive tape rather than screwing.

The part number the dealer has given me is 00004480154 (which on the exploded parts diagram show the metal retaining strip with self tapping screws and no adhesive strip) but the only info they have on fitting is in a TSB from 2000 which shows drilling rather than adhesive strip).

@mfletch I'd be grateful to know where you bought yours from too if you can recall.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by D2000; 06-15-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: more questions

Quick Reply: Side Skirt Mounting Help