Sponsored by:

Coils packs vs lifter failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 PM
bbdesoleil
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils packs vs lifter failure

Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself. I just recently purchased a Dark Teal Metallic/Gray 2004 C4 Cab Tip. Third P-car following forays into British sports cars.

The photo is from the dealer ad as I have not had a chance to take a decent photo of it yet. 53,000 miles with fairly good service history. Dealer did a fluids change as part of purchase but did not do the 60k service. They are not a Porsche dealer.

Here is the issue. After a recent car wash, the CEL came on and the code was for a misfire in cyl 6. Originally thought coil pack. Spoke with the dealer and they told me they replaced the same coil pack when they took the vehicle into inventory some months back (less than 1,000 miles ago). Their tech thought it could be a faulty coil pack or a bad lifter.

Question is how common to get a bad coil pack? Vehicle goes to indy shop next week for diagnosis.

Have read the forums and found out about cracked heads at #6, blown head gaskets….really scary stuff.

Any input to help with diagnosis would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Dan
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

"After a recent car wash..." You have to suspect moisture involvement. I wouldn't simply go on the dealer's information that the coil pack was replaced - don't elimiante that as a source until you inspect it yourself. Electrical arcing often produes a sound similar to a noisy lifter, but distiguishable up close. I predict it will turn out to be electrical...keep us posted & good luck sorting it out.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post the diagnostic trouble codes here (assuming you had a check engine light), you can have them scanned for free at most auto parts stores (autozone, etc.). That can help with the diagnosis in some cases.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking cab, welcome. I agree that a recent car wash points to moisture related issues. They seem to be fairly common with coil packs being the culprit. Hope that's the case with your Porsche.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thinking is it could also be plugs where #6 is the most fouled. Set the car up with lots of moisture ie water going into intake filter area and steam rising from engine fogging MAF and and adding lots of steam to the intake gasses thus which ever cylinder cares to sputter takes its turn. This is where the electronics detects the slightest falter you can't detect and gets you worried.

Check how long ago the plugs were changed. Porsche has and time enterval of 100k miles.......yep. I prefer something like 10k at least.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
bbdesoleil
3rd Gear

Thanks all for the input.
The CEL threw a code for P0306.
Will start with the smaller stuff first and work up to a solution. Hopefully, it will be the smaller stuff such as an improperly conencted coil pack..
Keep you posted on findings.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Here's a link to the misfire troubleshooting guide:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9085986-post10.html
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi,
Nice car, and I like those wheels. Are they Miro's

Originally Posted by bbdesoleil
Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself. I just recently purchased a Dark Teal Metallic/Gray 2004 C4 Cab Tip. Third P-car following forays into British sports cars.

The photo is from the dealer ad as I have not had a chance to take a decent photo of it yet. 53,000 miles with fairly good service history. Dealer did a fluids change as part of purchase but did not do the 60k service. They are not a Porsche dealer.

Here is the issue. After a recent car wash, the CEL came on and the code was for a misfire in cyl 6. Originally thought coil pack. Spoke with the dealer and they told me they replaced the same coil pack when they took the vehicle into inventory some months back (less than 1,000 miles ago). Their tech thought it could be a faulty coil pack or a bad lifter.

Question is how common to get a bad coil pack? Vehicle goes to indy shop next week for diagnosis.

Have read the forums and found out about cracked heads at #6, blown head gaskets….really scary stuff.

Any input to help with diagnosis would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try making sure your trouble shooting includes figuring the water as the cause. If you aren't getting the CEL recently then.........remember a common car was isn't going to spray the underside where the coil packs are. I think most guys in rain experience the problem due to spray off the tires soaking the packs. Good luck figuring it out.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is moisture too. Check that the rubber boot that covers the coil pack is firmly enveloping the coil pack/plug. Even the slightest interruption in the signal sent to the coil pack seems to fire a CEL.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
bbdesoleil
3rd Gear

Indy shop was great!

Swapped out the coil pack. Did the lifters on that side. So far so good. Developed a small oil leak at the base of the scavenger pump on passenger side. Repalced the o ring on the pump and that appears to have solved that issue.

Thanks to everyone for advice.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good for you, hope the fix is permanent.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Curious. If you don't mind me asking. How much to change the lifters on one side and fix the oil pump leak?

Quick Reply: Coils packs vs lifter failure